ZK-CCG take 2

Show us what's on the bench

ZK-CCG take 2

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:32 pm

This is the Airfix 1/72 P-51 Mustang, with Aeroproducts prop kindly donated by TOR. It will also be my second build of ZK-CCG, otherwise known as the Mobil Mustang, this time using my own decals rather than the Red Pegasus offering I used last time. I started designing these decals before Paul alerted me to Red Pegasus, and figured it was time to finish them off.
Anyhow, I'm not a fan of the Airfix kit. While the issues I had last time round were mainly of my own making, there are a couple of things I don't like about this kit.
The joystick is incredibly delicate, and I've managed to break it on both my kits. The sprue attachments are very large and thick, which doesn't help matters. My usual practice when removing delicates is to cut the sprue surrounding the part before coaxing it free. In this case, I merely *thought* about cutting it free, and it broke, flinging the top half into the far reaches of my desk. Luckily, I managed to find it and re-united it with the base using a specially designed hi-tech blu-tack jig. Once that was done, I finished off the cockpit, leaving off the gunsight.

Secondly, the sprue attachments, particularly on the wing tips and stabiliser tips. In this photo, I've cleaned up the left wing, and left the right wing as I cut it from the sprue. The wing tip requires a good deal of careful work to remove the lump of plastic and ensure the tip is shaped accordingly. On my previous build, I managed to stuff it up by getting a bit too enthusiastic with the razor saw.

Likewise, the horizontal stabilizer, still on the sprue. The tips will need a fair bit of cleanup before being presentable.
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Re: ZK-CCG take 2

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:57 pm

Cmon princess. Toughen the f*&k up mate. You're a modeller remember 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby tor lives » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:54 am

Looking good Damo. Cockpit looks great!!!!
Well done on recovery of the joystick......I just had a similar event occur with the 1:72 Draken refurb, (the large spine blade aerial parted company with the fuselage at a great rate of knots while I was working on the underside of the aircraft :? ), suffice to say that carpet monster = 1 while the model-builder = 0 :roll: . (I can feel a scratch-built plasticard replacement coming on).
Looking forward to seeing this one come together.
TOR
tor lives

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:11 am

hrtpaul wrote:Cmon princess. Toughen the f*&k up mate. You're a modeller remember 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Yeah big fella - what Paul said! Cmon - grow some cojones! We ain't shake n bakers! Want a challenge - build that little A-Model Yak-52 I gave you, or worst still build anything made by Trumpeter! Now there is a Chinese company focused on the destruction of the decadent West by driving we modellers stark raving bonkers! :roll:

Good work so far.

Cheers

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Postby RHB785 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:36 pm

Nice going so far damo. What's a little bit of wingtip or tailplane tip work to us modellers. We're not just kit assemblers you know, or you should know! :twisted: :twisted: :roll:

Regards,
RHB.
RHB785

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:18 am

The custom decals were approved for printing on Monday, and I'm expecting them by the end of next week at the latest. Which means I'd better get off my bum and paint the thing....good thing it's ready now :) Very much looking forward to getting the decals - they'll be way better than anything I can print on my inkjet.
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby hrtpaul » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:25 am

Great work mate :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:29 am

This is the decal sheet I'm waiting on..
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:33 am

Very clever work mate!

Cheers

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:36 pm

Well goddam! Didn't realise it was so long since I worked on this!
Anyhow, I got her all buttoned up at some point, and began painting the fuselage Gunze Off-White (the book says "Broken White", but I never did figure out exactly what colour that is..) It all looked ok from a distance, but I'd put the paint on too thick in places. Still, it was never going to win any comps so I persevered......until today, when I masked and painted the red stripes....

So I guess I'll be stripping the whole thing back and starting over...
Not happy Jan!
Cap'n Wannabe

Next

Return to Member's Works in Progress