Talon's of a Different Kind

Show us what's on the bench

Talon's of a Different Kind

Postby B_finch » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:41 pm

Catching up with Paul at last years Expo, and chewing the fat on a couple of subject matters. I had a Idea of doing T-38 Talon in Civil markings.... and I had the perfect choice on the one that I wanted to build. Being an Boeing employee the obvious first choice was to build N38FT, which was heavily involved with the B787 & B747-8 Flight test programs. The Second Talon will be a NASA bird ( yr yet to be decided)

Here is hopefully what it will look like once its built.http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled-%28Boeing%29/Northrop-T-38A-Talon/0619965/L/&sid=193fb390271672b18f93134c56784061

and the second will most probably be this onehttp://www.airliners.net/photo/NASA/Northrop-T-38N-Talon/1876414/L/&sid=74f00ed324279c9dbedc9f448b8cba5a

The Decals that I have for the NASA aircraft are from Fundekal.

Thee give you the option to build 9 different aircraft with a couple of them over a period of time. The decals themselves will allow you to build 2 complete T-38's off the sheet, and have very good registrar fine in detail and have a minimum amount of excess carrier film.

While I mainly Build 1/144 and 1/72 scale, there wasn't really much choice, I had brought Sword's 1/48 scale T-38 a few yrs ago to build it for my young fella, but, never got around to building it , so with Wolfpack designs releasing a new injection mold T-38 I decided to grab 2.

BOX lid:

The Kit:
Wolfpack's T-38A kit comprises 100 pieces with little to no flash, but has a couple of injection pin blemishes that can be fixed with a little filler.

It also contains 8 page A4 booklet of which 3 pages are for construction in 15 stages, and marking guide for 5 USAF airframes, a set of paper masks for the canopy, wheels/ wheel hubs and the landing light, which are made by Gravity Wings. Decals are made by Cartograph ( not Shown)

So with a little review out of the way, I started on the Tub, and here's what it looks like as of today;
Front IP.

Rear IP

Instrument panels have been Painted with Tamiya Dark Sea Grey, with NATO Black, with Faces are kit decals, that have been MircoSol'd to melt onto molded detail. Tub and Ejection Seats, Still a Work in progress.

So I am hoping to have at least one of these at expo this Yr.
B_finch

Re: Talon's of a Different Kind

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:24 pm

Those IP's are amazing mate. I really like the Boeing one. Looking forward to seeing it finished :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Tony P » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:56 pm

Looks great mate.
I'm glad I convinced Jennings to add a another set of the blue lines so you can make a few more options with just one sheet. A great kit of a great aircraft.
And if you haven't got it, grab yourself a copy of Story Musgrave's T-38 photo book. It's fantastic and a good reference.
You don’t concentrate on risks. You concentrate on results. No risk is too great to prevent the necessary job from getting done- Chuck Yeager.
Tony P

Postby Capt NG » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:01 pm

Hi Brendon, Apollo astronauts kept themselves current in T-38's.. Would be a great subject matter in itself.. I have an interest in the space program and have wanted to build the Century series as well as lifting bodies..look forward to this.
It's hard for me to get used to these changing times... I remember when the air was clean and the sex was dirty..
Capt NG

Postby tor lives » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:22 pm

Looks like Wolfpack also liked the idea of a civvie (NASA) T-38....check out the latest variant of their 1:48 T-38

Personally.....I reckon the Boeing T-38 kicks arse!!! what a ball-tearer of a civvie scheme for a fast jet.
Good going on the T-38 so far Brendon, I look forward to seeing it at Expo.
Ray
tor lives

Postby B_finch » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:51 pm

Thanks Paul... About time I progress on both of them, I am hoping that the Boeing Scheme will be ready by expo,
Tony... No I haven't got it but looking at the preview of it looks great, defiantly going to get it.
Stu, I couldn't disagree with you at all, any thing involved within the NASA program would be a great subject.

Thanks Ray, There are 2 Boeing T-38 scheme the I am doing and its sister aircraft is in a light blue......I am surprised that Wolfpack kit only has 2 schemes to choose when the kit's I have you can choose 5 USAF markings. Go figure considering there are ~32 aircraft NASA has/ had operated. NASA's T-38s were involved in four separate fatal accidents in the 1960s and 1970s

It is amazing that the T-38 has been used as an Advance trainer for 53yrs, except for the B-52, she will be longest serving aircraft.
B_finch

Postby AndrewDoppel » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:16 am

Nice start so far Brendon. look forward to some more progress shots.
Regards

Andrew Doppel
AndrewDoppel

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:12 am

One of the most beautiful military jets I think. I'd certainly like to build a "Apollo" era Talon one day. I'll be following this build keenly - great work so far.

Cheers

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Return to Member's Works in Progress