Minicraft 1/144 Pan Am Stratocruiser

Show us what's on the bench

Minicraft 1/144 Pan Am Stratocruiser

Postby kfutter » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:31 pm

Well, I guess I've been here long enough to qualify for a build thread! As discussed elsewhere, I've decided to tackle Minicraft's C-97 kit. I have the "Angel of Deliverance" boxing:

These markings do nothing for me (or perhaps it's just the really insipid build on the box top). So mine will become a Pan Am bird using an old Airway Graphics (Liveries Unlimited) sheet:

And just to make things even more interesting, I was able to procure the Cobra Company upgrade set for this kit a while back:

New resin cowlings with moulded-in engine faces, and new white metal props. It says on the pack that they're for the C-97 and KC-97 tankers, but I'm assuming they're suitable for the civil bird too. If they're not, somebody please let me know! I haven't done any research on these Pan Am aircraft yet, so I'm flying a bit blind at the moment. Looks like I'll need spinner caps for the props at least.

OK, that's the introduction. Don't expect this one to happen too quickly, as my workbench is already full to overflowing with other projects. I just decided I needed to build an airliner again, so out it came anyway. I need another project on my workbench like a hole in the head, but you all know what it's like, I'm sure!

Kev
kfutter

Re: Minicraft 1/144 Pan Am Stratocruiser

Postby hrtpaul » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:49 pm

I'll be watching this build :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby kfutter » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:00 pm

hrtpaul wrote:I'll be watching this build :)

Good to have you along, Paul!

Kev
kfutter

Postby RayS » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:48 am

I well be watching as well :D

Looks like the props will need the tips rounded, a couple of pictures of 1/72 builds of the Academy kit

Stratocruiser

KC-97

Ray

RayS

Postby kfutter » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:54 am

Thanks for chiming in, Ray! So the squared-off props are not correct for the civil version? Comparing the two sets of props in the two images you posted, it's not just the tips that are different; they appear to be completely different blades. The ones in the kit are the squared-off variety too, so it looks like I have a bit more work to do than I first thought.

Kev
kfutter

Postby tor lives » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:32 am

It would appear that the question of prop-type is more perplexing than initial indications would suggest. I have just been doing a quick check through my B377 Strat references, and there are different photos taken at different times showing the Pan Am birds, (as well as others) carrying both types of props, (ie: squared-tips and round tips).
TOR
tor lives

Postby RayS » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:02 am

There you go, so you can use them Kev
Ray

RayS

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:13 am

Very cool project Kev!

Adam the Akrodude

Postby kfutter » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:25 am

tor lives wrote:It would appear that the question of prop-type is more perplexing than initial indications would suggest. I have just been doing a quick check through my B377 Strat references, and there are different photos taken at different times showing the Pan Am birds, (as well as others) carrying both types of props, (ie: squared-tips and round tips).
TOR

Thanks Rays! I did a quick check via Google myself, and it appears that the earlier Pan Am birds had the squared-off props, while the later ones (in the livery I'm shooting for) had the pointed blades and spinner cap. Hardly definitive, but I haven't come across any photos of the later Pan Am machines with the kit props yet. I'm prepared to defer to the slimmest evidence though, and go with the kit props if I can!

Kev
kfutter

Postby tor lives » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:28 am

kfutter wrote:
tor lives wrote:It would appear that the question of prop-type is more perplexing than initial indications would suggest. I have just been doing a quick check through my B377 Strat references, and there are different photos taken at different times showing the Pan Am birds, (as well as others) carrying both types of props, (ie: squared-tips and round tips).
TOR

Thanks Rays! I did a quick check via Google myself, and it appears that the earlier Pan Am birds had the squared-off props, while the later ones (in the livery I'm shooting for) had the pointed blades and spinner cap. Hardly definitive, but I haven't come across any photos of the later Pan Am machines with the kit props yet. I'm prepared to defer to the slimmest evidence though, and go with the kit props if I can!

Kev

Leave it with me Kev and I will see what else I can find. Personally though, given that it is 1:144th we are talking here, I would run with the kit props regardless.
TOR
tor lives

Next

Return to Member's Works in Progress