RP-3D Project Magnet

Show us what's on the bench

Re: RP-3D Project Magnet

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:57 am

tor lives wrote:
Cap'n Wannabe wrote:I know you miss those vigorous debates Ray, so I'm gonna say this...
We don't need no steenkin' LATS!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

That's it!!!! Anyone who is anti LAT/VLAT is hereby BANNED from this site :D
TOR

What was HRT's password again...?
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby RayS » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:25 am

RHB785 wrote:...

I went looking in the gallery and got an Error 404 message. By the way, RayS, what was the Magnet project all about?

Regards,
RHB.

Ross,

From 1951 through 1994, the U.S. Navy, under its Project Magnet program, continuously collected vector aeromagnetic survey data to support the U.S. Geo-spatial-Intelligence Mapping Agency (formerly NIMA) world magnetic modeling and charting program. They used C-121 and P-3 aircraft modified to collect data about the earth's magnetic field.

I am building a model of it because on one sunny spring Sunday morning in the late 80s this aircraft visited Canberra while I was on Duty Crew at 34SQN. The aircraft arrived with the interest of the airport fire services as it had had a gear box failure and landed with no 4 prop feathered. Turned out a chip detector had failed and the gearbox chewed itself up. The aircraft spent a week at Fairbairn waiting for a replacement engine.
Ray

RayS

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:47 am

Very interesting topic Ray - will certainly be following this one. It's these sorts of builds that make A/CAM unique I think, with a story to go along with the model ta boot!

Cheers

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Postby tor lives » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:16 am

RayS wrote:I am building a model of it because on one sunny spring Sunday morning in the late 80s this aircraft visited Canberra while I was on Duty Crew at 34SQN. The aircraft arrived with the interest of the airport fire services as it had had a gear box failure and landed with no 4 prop feathered. Turned out a chip detector had failed and the gearbox chewed itself up. The aircraft spent a week at Fairbairn waiting for a replacement engine.

I think I remember this.
Makes me wonder why the USN just didn't simply just borrow a T56 from the RAAF to expedite the fix, (maybe the crew just wanted to enjoy the Canberra weather at that time of year :D ).
I also remember the time a Qantas 747-300 lobbed into FBN unexpectedly, and, back then, that was a big deal. For the 743 to depart FBN safely, they had to remove cabin fixtures and go with absolute min fuel uplift.
TOR
tor lives

Postby RHB785 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:44 pm

Yav'e done it now damo. :lol:

Regards,
RHB.
RHB785

Postby RHB785 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:02 pm

RayS wrote:
RHB785 wrote:...

I went looking in the gallery and got an Error 404 message. By the way, RayS, what was the Magnet project all about?

Regards,
RHB.

Ross,

From 1951 through 1994, the U.S. Navy, under its Project Magnet program, continuously collected vector aeromagnetic survey data to support the U.S. Geo-spatial-Intelligence Mapping Agency (formerly NIMA) world magnetic modeling and charting program. They used C-121 and P-3 aircraft modified to collect data about the earth's magnetic field.

I am building a model of it because on one sunny spring Sunday morning in the late 80s this aircraft visited Canberra while I was on Duty Crew at 34SQN. The aircraft arrived with the interest of the airport fire services as it had had a gear box failure and landed with no 4 prop feathered. Turned out a chip detector had failed and the gearbox chewed itself up. The aircraft spent a week at Fairbairn waiting for a replacement engine.

That's a programme I'd never heard of before. And an interesting personal story. I like reading things like this. Thank you for the information Ray.

Regards,
RHB.
RHB785

Postby RayS » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:19 am

tor lives wrote:
RayS wrote:I am building a model of it because on one sunny spring Sunday morning in the late 80s this aircraft visited Canberra while I was on Duty Crew at 34SQN. The aircraft arrived with the interest of the airport fire services as it had had a gear box failure and landed with no 4 prop feathered. Turned out a chip detector had failed and the gearbox chewed itself up. The aircraft spent a week at Fairbairn waiting for a replacement engine.

I think I remember this.
Makes me wonder why the USN just didn't simply just borrow a T56 from the RAAF to expedite the fix, (maybe the crew just wanted to enjoy the Canberra weather at that time of year :D ).
I also remember the time a Qantas 747-300 lobbed into FBN unexpectedly, and, back then, that was a big deal. For the 743 to depart FBN safely, they had to remove cabin fixtures and go with absolute min fuel uplift.
TOR

We in the techo area also thought the same about a borrowed RAAF engine, mind you it was nice to see a USN C-130 lob up with a spare engine and spend time here when the P-3 guys fitted the replacement engine. As I recall the engine was off one of their line birds so the nacelle colour was grey instead of white. So I might also add that to my model.

I also recall the B743, it was on a weekend though I was not at work at the time.
Ray

RayS

Postby tor lives » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:27 am

RayS wrote:I also recall the B743, it was on a weekend though I was not at work at the time.

Here is a pic of said QF 747-338 sitting in front of RAAF Base Fairbairn Air Movements Terminal. At this time Canberra (Civil) Airport could not accommodate a 747, so the RAAF Base copped her.

And here is the intrepid 34 SQN Duty Crew getting ready to send her on her way, (Ray, I am thinking you might know these blokes).
Note how the Australian Airlines stairs don't actually reach the main deck of the 747....this did cause some grief in deplaning the pax when the aircraft arrived :? as this was the largest set of stairs on the airfield at the time.
Fortunately Canberra Airport is better equipped these days.
TOR
tor lives

Previous

Return to Member's Works in Progress