1/72 Tiger Moth VH-AMY

Show us what's on the bench

Re: 1/72 Tiger Moth VH-AMY

Postby RHB785 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:29 pm

It isn't that hard Adam. Even in 1/72 scale I do it without drilling holes in the surfaces. I just measure the distances with my compass and cut sprue to length or a little longer and attach both ends with CA glue then if the piece of sprue is a bit too long for the distance I use the heated match method to tighten it just enough so that it looks right but not enough to put too much tension on the wire and warp the wing. all the biplanes I've done so far have had ailerons. I have done one old Revell Fokker E1 (I think) back in 1970 using string for the wires. Back then I didn't know any other method.

I did have a major fail with this method years ago when finishing the Heller 1/72 scale Bucker Jungmeister. I got to the very last wire to tighten and it just wouldn't tighten for some reason so I got frustrated and pl;aced a lighted match near the wire. Melted the wire and the cabane strut as well. Then I got more frustrated and threw the whole thing in the bin. If I had thoguht about it I could have made up a new strut from sprue or plastic card but I didn't think of that at the time. The model was already painted so it just went west.

That Polikarpov I-5 I posted had a crash landing when it was in the construction phase and the undercarriage and interplane struts got broken. I thought I'd have a shot at making my own. can anyone tell from the photos that the struts aren't original? BTW, I have anotehr Bucker Jungmeister in the stash to replace the one I turfed and a second one for a future conversion.

Regards,
RHB.
RHB785

Postby hrtpaul » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:45 pm

I didn't find it too difficult Adam. Using an optivisor and fine tweezers it wasn't too bad. Update time. With the rigging finished it was time for some colour. On Eric's recommendation I sprayed the Tiger with white Aluminium Alclad which as usual wen ton really well. Also as usual it showed up a few flaws but unfortunately I just don't have the time to fix them. I was really happy with how the rigging came up after being painted. Just the effect I was after. So she'll dry and cure over the weekend and then I'll get stuck into colour matching the blue, painting the cowl and detailing the engine. I was worried I might not get this done by the time I go to TSV again but so far so good :)

Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby frediv » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:23 pm

rigging sequence.jpg

The attached sketch should more clearly describe the threading sequence. My preferred rigging material is smoke grey monofilament.
FGH
frediv

Postby hrtpaul » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:00 pm

Been sick as a dog this week so haven't got bugger all modelling done :cry: :cry: :cry: I managed to colour match the blue, paint the cowl and finished painting the exhaust. The last thing I finished today was the base that AMY is gonna live on. I'm really happy with how it came out. There'll be a few more of these in my future :)

Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:29 am

All I can say is gosh - that's looking absolutely wicked ol' chap!

Great rigging technique there too Fred!

Cheers

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Postby tor lives » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:26 pm

Very impressive mate!!!
I have to say, you are fast becoming a bit of a Tiger Moth inspiration....you have so far made this project look easy and stress-free. Love the model base as well!!!
TOR
tor lives

Postby hrtpaul » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:41 am

hrtpaul

Previous

Return to Member's Works in Progress