The Never Ending Dakota

Show us what's on the bench

The Never Ending Dakota

Postby Barneydhc82 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:48 am

I started this project in 2006 as a challenge. It is the Monogram 1:48 scale DC-3 with a bit of modification to represent a 412 Sqn RCAF, VIP transport based in Ottawa, Ont, Canada. I was interested in the use of LEDs as a lighting source and with a well stocked electronics supply store nearby the project began to take shape.

At first I was planning just nav lights but then anti-collision lights, landing lights and interior lights were added. Then I found a supply of very tiny geared electric motors which are now buried in the P&W 1830 crankcases. All systems have been tested and work perfectly but the final details will not be completed.

The metallic finish is SnJ Aluminum polishing powder over Model Master Gloss Black enamel. The wheel chocks are soldered #14g electrical wire.

Barney

Barneydhc82

Re: The Never Ending Dakota

Postby kfutter » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:59 pm

Looks great, Barney!

Kev
kfutter

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:11 pm

That is gorgeous mate. I can't wait to seethe video of this all working. I love it :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby RayS » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:18 pm

Wow, great build and presentation Barney. Nice one!
Ray

RayS

Postby Graeme H » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:23 am

A top job and will be a stunner lit up at night, I assume the GPU cable is going to be the feed for the LED's, looks just so natural
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby Barneydhc82 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:27 am

A few more photos with a night shot

Barneydhc82

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:18 am

Hey Barney

This is just epic! I honestly need a twin as I have so many models I want to make and just not enough time - and you sir are not helping this issue! Too much bloody inspiration on this site - AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH :D

I'm immensely impressed by the effect of that SnJ NMF powder - it looks brilliant! I've tried Alclad and to me it's just too perfect. The one time I used it I ended up dry brushing Aluminium Metaliser all over it to show a tarnished/scratched look. Alclad is also so delicate, so fine. I tried scratching the Alclad to replicate "scuffs", but just took off the Alclad back to the black undercoat. I have a 1/32 F-104 to build which will have the fuselage in NMF. I'm considering either the "paste" style polish or these powders or even foiling. I'm probably going to try foil as I've always wanted to try this. There will be areas that foil is just not the best solution so it's either the paste or powder. Have you tried either?
Still awhile before I have to decide and commit to which technique, but I'd really like to hear more about your technique with SnJ powders.

Cheers

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Barneydhc82 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:36 am

I tried aluminum foil but was not impressed with it. A friend who models in 1:72 scale uses kitchen type foil with brilliant success and of course that type of foil has different textures depending on which side you show.

I really prefer Alclad II over Tamiya TS-14 Gloss Black decanted into my airbrush. Two examples of this on my website...Mustang on the banner on the home page and the Chipmunk under "Trainers"

Barney http://www.barneysairforce.com
Barneydhc82

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:48 am

Did you hand polish that SnJ powder Barney or use a Dremel to polish?
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Barneydhc82 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:55 am

I used an old cotton sport sock! By hand! The powder is rubbed into the black enamel base once it is dry enough to handle then polished, Where a flat aluminum painted fabric covered control surface needs finishing I use Alclad II Duralominum.

Barney
Barneydhc82

Next

Return to Member's Works in Progress