1:100 Entex/Nitto Concorde

Show us what's on the bench

1:100 Entex/Nitto Concorde

Postby tor lives » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:53 pm

OK......so being totally inspired and enthused by the commencement of Capt Eric's epic and ground-breaking 1:48 Concorde build, I have "cleared the decks" of all other "works-in-progress", (back to the curtain rail-of-doom you lot :D), and returned to a Concorde build, (or rather re-build), of my own.
As some of you may remember, just before I was given the arse from AMI, I was documenting a major refurbishment project involving an ancient Entex/Nitto 1:100 Concorde. I had owned this particular kit since I was 14, (I am now 49), and, following a rather poor-quality initial build, (with lots of thick white hand-brushed paint, excessive tube glue use, and poorly-applied decals), she was constantly damaged and re-built throughout my teen years. After that she lay dormant and in storage for several decades while I went off and had a RAAF then Qantas career.
She was finally pulled out of deep storage a couple of years ago at the commencement of the afore-mentioned refurb project. Things were going well during the refurb program until she suffered a cataclysmic fall from height while drying :cry: . A major repair job commenced thereafter, but ultimately stalled as life and other model projects got in the way.
During the refurb I had initially planned to finish her as a Qantas aircraft, (Qantas had ordered 4 Concordes, and optioned 2 more, but ultimately cancelled all orders/options). I then changed my mind, and decided I wanted to finish her in the fictional colours of Federation World Air, (this was the airline that featured in the movie Airport 79 the Concorde, but I have since decided to give this idea the arse also......reason being that the movie jet was a production standard aircraft with the longer tail cone and revised visor, door layout, pax windows, engines, nose etc, while the model is representative of the prototype aircraft).
I really miss the Concorde, and mourn her loss from our skies, (in fact I consider this a real tragedy :cry: ), so instead of lamenting her loss, I have now decided to pay homage to her, go back to where it all started, and build the 001 prototype F-WTSS.

To that end, I have had custom decals prepared by the excellent F-DCAL, (I highly recommend these guys).

So without further ado, and motivated by Capt Eric, here is where she is at.
After some additional structural repairs, more bogging/sanding, and surface preparation and finishing, she has now received her final coats of "Mr Surfacer", (love that stuff!!).

She will very soon be ready for some white paint, final detailing, and decals :D
It is my goal to have her ready for Model Expo next year. In my mind's eye I can see her sitting next to Capt Eric's superb 1:48 example. They should visually make an interesting pair as mine will represent the prototype in flight, while Eric's will represent a late production example with everything hanging out/down.
Finally, this is what the original kit looked like.
I will update as progress is made, and thanks to Capt Eric for the inspiration.
TOR
tor lives

Re: 1:100 Entex/Nitto Concorde

Postby kfutter » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:09 pm

Awesome choice of project, Ray! Perhaps I should dig out my 1/144 Revell kit and join the fun. Ah, who am I kidding! I've got too much on the go already. Did you see the post on Facebook alleging that the Concorde may be set for a return to the skies in 2019? I'll post a link if I find it again.

Kev
kfutter

Postby tor lives » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:17 pm

kfutter wrote: Did you see the post on Facebook alleging that the Concorde may be set for a return to the skies in 2019? I'll post a link if I find it again.
Kev

Yeah Mate....it was just reported on CH9 news. The group who are behind it, (http://www.clubconcorde.co.uk/), have apparently raised quiet a bit of $$$ and want to get the most suitable airframe airworthy again, (apparently one that is located in France), so they can run charters etc.
http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-ad ... 7534935614
I would be great to see, and the Vulcan is living proof that it can be done with enough money and support, (the other precedent for this was set some years ago when a single TU-144 was also returned to airworthy status). I wish them the best of luck and hope that they can pull this off. It would be great to see a Concorde back where she belongs.
TOR
PS: Why don't you pull your Concorde out. That way we could have concurrent 1:48, 1:100, and 1:144 builds running, (now we just need to find someone to do a 1:72 example, and we have a multi-scale Concorde group build underway :D )
TOR
tor lives

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:36 pm

Very cool - Concorde mini group build!

I very much like the look of the nose of the prototype - more bullet like. Great work so far Ray!

Cheers

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Postby RayS » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:36 pm

I have a 1/72 Concorde in the stash....

But I am not committing to starting another kit until at least next month :D
Ray

RayS

Postby VH-WAL » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:59 pm

1/72 Concorde = Short straw! I have one here in the UK, I will bring it back with me along with other kits I picked up space permitting dunno when I am ever gonna build it
VH-WAL

Postby kfutter » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:15 am

tor lives wrote:
kfutter wrote: Did you see the post on Facebook alleging that the Concorde may be set for a return to the skies in 2019? I'll post a link if I find it again.
Kev

PS: Why don't you pull your Concorde out. That way we could have concurrent 1:48, 1:100, and 1:144 builds running, (now we just need to find someone to do a 1:72 example, and we have a multi-scale Concorde group build underway :D )
TOR

Just can't do it at the moment, Ray. I have one major project on the go, my C-97 build (which is proving to be less straightforward than I hoped), 3 stalled builds, and I've just committed to a build of the new 1/32 P-39 from KittyHawk. No room in my life for a Concorde right now!

Kev
kfutter

Postby tor lives » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:22 pm

kfutter wrote:
tor lives wrote:
Kev

TOR

Just can't do it at the moment, Ray. I have one major project on the go, my C-97 build (which is proving to be less straightforward than I hoped), 3 stalled builds, and I've just committed to a build of the new 1/32 P-39 from KittyHawk. No room in my life for a Concorde right now!

Kev

That's OK mate.....more than enough "Concorde-lovin" going on at the moment :D
TOR
tor lives

Return to Member's Works in Progress