One may be excused for thinking I don't build models anymore

Show us what's on the bench

One may be excused for thinking I don't build models anymore

Postby VH-WAL » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:02 am

True I have been keeping a low profile but there are Wiley Coyote - like sounds emanating from the work bench:

I am in the tedious process of masking and alclading the Academy 1/72 Stratocruiser
Imagesmokey2
Imagesmokey1

Then there is the Matchbox HS125-600 which I have converted to a fan engined - 700. The engines were produced thusly:
Buy the Mach2 Falcon 20 kit
Make a mould of that kits engine (yes I know it is the wrong shape)
Make a couple of copies from the mould
Chop off front and back of the copies to get the right length and shape of the desired article
Drill holes at front and back for intake / exhaust, shape smooth etc the intake edges.
Insert brass tube at rear to emulate the engine rear/ exhaust section.
Insert a scribed disc at front to emulate the compressor fan, add centre bullet.

Imagemb125 2
Imagemb125 1
and then there is a cherokee, as well as other stuff hiding under covers.
VH-WAL

Re: One may be excused for thinking I don't build models any

Postby RayS » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:16 pm

Nice to see some productivity Wal, what scheme will the 125 wear?
Ray

RayS

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:17 pm

Who cares about them....tell me about the PA-28!! :lol: :lol:
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby VH-WAL » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:24 pm

RayS wrote:Nice to see some productivity Wal, what scheme will the 125 wear?

Department of Aviation VH-JFT (at this stage... !)

Cap'n Wannabe wrote:Who cares about them....tell me about the PA-28!! :lol: :lol:

Minicraft 1/48 gonna be a Royal Victorian Aero club 1970 scheme (for first ever flight prior joining RAAF

cheers
wal
VH-WAL

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:33 pm

Great work Wally. They look great :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:05 pm

VH-WAL wrote:
RayS wrote:Nice to see some productivity Wal, what scheme will the 125 wear?

Department of Aviation VH-JFT (at this stage... !)

Cap'n Wannabe wrote:Who cares about them....tell me about the PA-28!! :lol: :lol:

Minicraft 1/48 gonna be a Royal Victorian Aero club 1970 scheme (for first ever flight prior joining RAAF

cheers
wal

I'll sure we all knew you were up to something! Bet you were itching to get back to your modelling desk after those overseas adventures (thinking to myself, not a bad life has Wally!). Excellent work so far - as usual.

A few of us have a shared connection with RVAC. You're first flight there in 1970 Wally, I think Capt Salty also did some initial flight training there, I did my RPPL plus Aero's (Spins, loops, rolls and stall turns) and Formation endorsements there and Capn. Wannabe also did his Formation endorsement there (with me!). Aside from some slight cosmetic changes to the foyer, nothing much has changed at the RVAC over the years. They do make a decent hamburger over at the RVAC bar/club rooms these days! It was always fun to wander over there after a flight for some added B/S "There I was...." stories to bore the socks off other fellow weekend warriors! I know HRT Paul in particular just loves hearing pilot stories! :lol:
Adam the Akrodude

Postby tor lives » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:17 pm

G'day Wal,
That production line is looking good!!!. I especially like the HS-125 :D . I crewed JFT on one or two occasions back in the 80s when the DoT/DoA/CAA aircraft were used to supplement the RAAF VIP fleet.
Thanks for the DC-3, (really a lovely kit.....she will eventually be a NASA bird), and it was good to briefly catch up with you last Friday arvo.
TOR
tor lives

Postby kfutter » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:46 pm

Well, that C-97 certainly has my attention! I have one in the stash too, and I'm hoping it's a much better kit than the Minicraft 1/144 example I'm currently tackling!

Kev
kfutter

Postby VH-WAL » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:22 pm

kfutter wrote:Well, that C-97 certainly has my attention! I have one in the stash too, and I'm hoping it's a much better kit than the Minicraft 1/144 example I'm currently tackling!

Kev

hi Kev,
this is the second one I have built, there are some tricks to building it:

glue the trailing edges to the wing tops and bottoms before gluing the top and bottoms together.. result zero filler required compared to my first attempt.
do not assemble the nacelles before putting them on wing, they are of thin plastic and too flexible, what you do is glue the top half of the nacelle to the top of the assembled wing, then glue the bottom half of the nacelle to the bottom part of the wing. then glue the two halves of the nacelle not mated to the wing to each other, the result is perfectlly aligned nacelles top and bottom and minimum filler required between the nacelle halves. It is not too bad really

oh yeah you have to cut out half a cylinder from each engine!
VH-WAL

Postby kfutter » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:23 pm

Well, that doesn't sound so good, after all! Thanks for the tips, though - much appreciated!

Kev
kfutter

Return to Member's Works in Progress