RP-3D WIP Finally Finished

Show us what's on the bench

Re: RP-3D WIP

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:59 am

Who's a busy Batchelor boy then? Guess you're living off braised steak an onions on toast and Coco Pops whilst your better half is away? :D

You're doing some great work there mate. Looking forward to seeing the RVAC Cherokee and big Suk finished.

Out of interest on your Orion, what is that red-orange paint? What FS number is it? I'm looking for a source of "Fluorescent Red" FS38095 for a NASA F-104N build starting in a couple of months.

Cheers

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Postby VH-WAL » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:01 pm

RayS wrote:Many thanks Wally, Are the NAVY titles for the wings? I suspect that the kit decals would be used there.

That aircraft - 158227, has had a number of different paint variations and antenna configurations while it was the Project Magnet bird.

It finally reverted to standard USN colours back in 2005 when it was regenerated from AMARG after 2 years of storage.

Hiya Raimondo, my kit decals is a Japanese SDF jobbie hence I dont have the Navy titles ..no problem I created them last night using the Long Beach USN "font" similarly with the "02" on the fin.
I am modelling her as per when I saw her at Perth, my photos do not cover the whole bird properly but I have managed to work out the way the hidden areas probably were.

Now a question for you, it sounds like your kit has the "Navy" titles, from what I can see on the relatively few pics that show the area of interest in these aircraft the "NAVY" is positioned on the undersurface between the inner and outer engine on the Port wing, presumably IF the NAVY title was carried on the top of the starboard wing , it would be similarly positioned.. can you confirm shed any light on this?
(none of these are properly scaled to fit yet)

hiya Akrodude,
I am using Tamiya rattlle can flouro red TS36. I tried Model Master fluoro red - orange FS28913 but it went on like shit and had to sand it off I also mixed Tamiya Red and Orange and managed to get a close match which went on my "mule" painting model quite nicely. Note the colour is quite translucent you have to have a white base / undercoat for it to look good / right yes even with the rattle can.

cheers
wal
VH-WAL

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:25 pm

Looking great Wally. Can't wait to see it finished as I love pretty colours on planes :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby RayS » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:04 pm

Wally,

I don't think the NAVY titles were carried on top of the wing, only underneath between the nacelles.

Here is a shot of the VX-8/30 aircraft in the boneyard with no NAVY on the upper side of the wing and also a standard USN P-3

Some aircraft carried their Modex on the starboard outboard section but I can't find any images to show this at the moment (does not seem to be that common).
Ray

RayS

Postby VH-WAL » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:46 pm

you are right Ray, titles only on undersurfaces...Seems I have spent the last 3 days masking! Doing a bit of home made decal trial fitting on the P-3
VH-WAL

Postby RayS » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:00 am

They are both looking good with the tape off.
Ray

RayS

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:44 am

Wow man they look great. Geez that orange is rather bright huh :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby VH-WAL » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:47 pm

Hope you have your sunnies on Paul,
Put my home made walkway, leading edge and star and bar decals on....zoom zoom I am going off to play
VH-WAL

Postby hrtpaul » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:05 pm

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) Outstanding work there mate. I love it :)
hrtpaul

Postby VH-WAL » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:53 pm

decals done, though I have to design a few more that were missing from the microscale sheet,
VH-WAL

PreviousNext

Return to Member's Works in Progress