ANA R2D2 WIP

Show us what's on the bench

ANA R2D2 WIP

Postby avgeek07 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:30 pm

This is a current build of mine.... It has been a long long time since I've actually completed a kit. WOW how I'm rusty lol, this build has gone over two states ( NSW and QLD ) and many months (due to me moving states). Its been good to get back into a hobby that I have loved since I was a kid and built my very first model which was an RAAF mirage ( cannot remember what scale either) so here is The Star wars Logo jet ANA R2D2 787-9 in 1/200th scale work in progress shots. I will keep this topic updated as much as I can. I will also probably ask for help too cos I am stuck on a few things as well.
Thanks for looking :D

Tim
avgeek07

Re: ANA R2D2 WIP

Postby skystreak80 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:55 pm

Oh cool i'm looking forward to your progress nice livery choice too
What are you stuck on ?
skystreak80

Postby RayS » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:52 am

Progress looks good Tim, I'll be interested in how the decals perform.

I just got this set in 1/144 and am not sure if I can wait for the Zvezda 787-9 kit to be released or to just modify one of my 787-8s
Ray

RayS

Postby Graeme H » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:28 am

coming together nicely, love those open engine nacelles
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby avgeek07 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:45 pm

skystreak80 wrote:Oh cool i'm looking forward to your progress nice livery choice too
What are you stuck on ?

Just the painting and decalling side of it, I've always used a paint brush... and I'm not going to do that anymore I'm going to use spray cans until I have more room to use my airbrush. With decalling it's using microsol and microset, I've never used them before and I'm trying to take my models to a higher level of professionalism as opposed to what I used to do. It's tricky when you haven't done it for ages lol. It also doesnt help when the instructions for the decals are not great... in fact they are quite useless, thankfully I have a heap of avgeek friends with photos of this bird including models of it and RW photos

Cheers

Tim
Tim
avgeek07

Postby avgeek07 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:49 pm

RayS wrote:Progress looks good Tim, I'll be interested in how the decals perform.

I just got this set in 1/144 and am not sure if I can wait for the Zvezda 787-9 kit to be released or to just modify one of my 787-8s

Thanks Ray
I reckon wait for the new Zvezda kit that way your not paying extra for plugs or destroying another model, It will be interesting with these decals as they are not the best looking but they should be ok for this particular build. Perhaps hasegawa will bring out a version of their own... who knows, I wuld love to do it in the 144th scale too I shall see what happens there. Are your 144th decals from 8A or another source ?
Tim
avgeek07

Postby avgeek07 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:54 pm

Graeme H wrote:coming together nicely, love those open engine nacelles

Lol Graeme they are all nuded up :D
However they will be covered up soon enough, I thought about doing a landed version of this given Hasegawa provide the engine cowls as a separate piece. I am not skilled enough yet to try something so bold.... I will one day though that's for certain.

Cheers

Tim
Tim
avgeek07

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:38 pm

Looks great so far mate. I to have the 144 version of these decals so I'll be watching with interest :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby RayS » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:53 am

avgeek07 wrote:
RayS wrote:Progress looks good Tim, I'll be interested in how the decals perform.

Thanks Ray
I reckon wait for the new Zvezda kit that way your not paying extra for plugs or destroying another model, It will be interesting with these decals as they are not the best looking but they should be OK for this particular build. Perhaps Hasegawa will bring out a version of their own... who knows, I would love to do it in the 144th scale too I shall see what happens there. Are your 144th decals from 8A or another source ?

My decals are also from 8A. A friend organised a group buy of the 1/200 sheet some time ago, I passed hanging out for the 1/144 sheet. When he released the 144 sheet I jumped on it.

As for a -9 conversion I already have a set of plugs that were destined for a QANTAS -9 that I have had for some years. So I expect I should use them if not for the ANA jet then for a QF jet.

As to your concerns about the paint and decalling. With spray cans go light coats. I would do the white, mask and then the silver nose section. My instructions show the silver/white demarcation line between a the 3rd and fourth forward cabin windows which should be easy to mask off. Then you need to follow the kit instructions for the detail stuff like the engines and leading edges. You are lucky that the jet is mostly white.

Oh and I would use a flat white and either gloss coat it or go over with a gloss white. I see you have used a grey putty for filling, you will find that if you go gloss white over it you will find you will need plenty of coats to hide the putty. So use a flat white (or Tamiya white primer) in light coats until the putty disappears and then go over it with a gloss coat of some kind.
Ray

RayS

Postby kfutter » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:57 pm

I've also got the 1/144 version of this sheet, so this is of quite some interest to me as well. Someone also sent me the artwork for the 767 version, but I have no means of printing it, unfortunately.

Kev
Last edited by kfutter on Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
kfutter

Next

Return to Member's Works in Progress