My Expo build

Show us what's on the bench

My Expo build

Postby tor lives » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:56 pm

After talking to Knotty yesterday and realising that Model Expo is just five weeks away :shock: , I have to get serious and focus on completing a build for the Airliner category.
In trying to choose what I want to finish from the "curtain rail of doom" I have decided that, as most of my modelling aspirations are just an "illusion" anyway.....I might as well just formalise that :D .
So here she is.....it's a long-stalled VEB 1:100 IL-62 that was started nearly two decades ago, and is now dusted off and back on the bench. I thought I would go this route and attempt to finish her as very rarely do you see a completed VEB 1:100 airliner of any description and, all things considered, they are not bad kits. They are simple to construct and can take a beating during the build process, (much like the real thing I guess......very Russian :D ). The VEB range is not bad either for what it is, and includes such classic airliners as a YAK 40, TU-134, TU-154, IL-18, IL-62, Trident, Comet, and 727-100.
Here she is:

As with many VEB kits, the aircraft is more representative of the prototype and therefore requires some level of modification if a production standard aircraft is to be achieved.

And this is what I hope she will turn out to be....it's a Russian Air Force VIP jet, (don't be fooled by the Aeroflot titles, this was common practise by the Soviets and indeed several other Air Forces where their VIP aircraft were concerned....made em less conspicuous at foreign airports).
This particular aircraft visited RAAF Base Fairbairn back in the late 80s and I was lucky enough to see her first hand, (Ray.S you may have well been the "see in" Duty Crew???):

I have just ordered some custom decals from Fdcals (see our Links page), so that's the plan and we will see how we go.
TOR
tor lives

Re: My Expo build

Postby Graeme H » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:47 pm

Well that is interesting, and very impressive if Phillipe can do the custom decals in that time,
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby RayS » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:30 pm

Nice project Ray,

I was considering doing one of these (with the Zvezda kit) and Fundekals.

I have a picture of the jet some where. You may have caught me walking back to the flightline in the first picture!

I do recall having to service the dunnies on one of these (not sure if it was this one as it was raining at the time). Turns out the 'Soviet' servicing fittings were slightly smaller than the 'western' fittings and we had to hold the cart hose against the aircraft as it would not lock in to place. Needless to say there was some spillage :( and fortunately the rain washed away what did not make it into the cart.

Found a couple of pictures I took. Not sure if it the same jet....

Ray

RayS

Postby tor lives » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:05 pm

Very interesting photos Ray. I think you may have captured two different jets as I notice one has the extended spine fillet while the other doesn't. The one I photographed also lacks the extended spine fillet which makes me think we are looking at three different aircraft here.
TOR
tor lives

Postby RayS » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:09 pm

tor lives wrote:Very interesting photos Ray. I think you may have captured two different jets as I notice one has the extended spine fillet while the other doesn't. The one I photographed also lacks the extended spine fillet which makes me think we are looking at three different aircraft here.
TOR

Looks like you are right there Ray. I had not noticed the differences. I also have a couple of pics of IL-76s with a F900 nearby so I expect these would have been taken late 90s
Ray

RayS

Postby tor lives » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:55 pm

Well......the good news is the decals have finally arrived (this afternoon) and they are just lovely.
The bad news is that at just 48 hours to go until Model Expo.....there is no way she will be ready in time. So nothing from me this year in the comp......maybe next year.
TOR
tor lives

Postby RayS » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:00 am

I misread you earlier post.

I thought you had ordered the Fundecals/Liveries Unlimited sheet (which is screen printed). It is very nice, I have this sheet along with their Cunbana offering.
Ray

RayS

Postby tor lives » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:48 am

RayS wrote:I misread you earlier post.

I thought you had ordered the Fundecals/Liveries Unlimited sheet (which is screen printed). It is very nice, I have this sheet along with their Cunbana offering.

F-DCAL did my 1:100 IL-62 custom sheet. I will however be getting the fundekals IL-62 sheet. I also want to grab their 1:48 NASA T-38 sheet.
TOR
tor lives

Postby RayS » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:00 am

Ahh, forgot the build was 1/100!
Ray

RayS

Return to Member's Works in Progress