1/72 DC-7C Conversion WIP (let me share a bit of crapulence)

Show us what's on the bench

Re: 1/72 DC-7C Conversion WIP (let me share a bit of crapule

Postby Knotty » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:47 pm

It wasn't cheap if I remember Wally , I think I paid $125 for mine . Disappointing to say the least.
Knotty

Postby Graeme H » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:08 pm

I do hope you keep on with this Wal
I have 2 Contrails lkits the first issue 717, and the later improved 717 (what an oxymoron), neither are buildable
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby VH-WAL » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:16 pm

Graeme H wrote:I do hope you keep on with this Wal
I have 2 Contrails lkits the first issue 717, and the later improved 717 (what an oxymoron), neither are buildable

hi graeme, yeah I will keep plugging away at it, it is one I have quite a bit of motivation for plus invested quite a few dollars in.

The DC-7 conversion kit has been removed from sale,,,,good thing to!
VH-WAL

Postby 72linerlover » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:38 pm

Hi, VH-WAL.

I've just registered since I discovered this thread.
I sympathize with you and understand your troubles in this difficult conversion.

Back in October 2013 I finished a long project started in 2009 for a conversion to a 1/72nd DC-7C in Alitalia livery.
I collected a lot of references for that job and posted the wip here: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=204317

So, please, if I can help in any way, feel free to ask.
Good luck
Eugenio
72linerlover

Postby RayS » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:31 pm

Lovely job Eugenio, I think remember following your build over on ARC!
Ray

RayS

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:46 pm

Lovely job I say Eugenio!
Adam the Akrodude

Postby VH-WAL » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:06 am

Ciao Eugenio..your DC-7 Mai che bella!

Mine will not be as good as that, for a start I don't bother with cabin windows and interiors.. just not my interest, if I can just get a good looking model I will be happy
nice to see you here cheers
wally
VH-WAL

Postby 72linerlover » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:00 am

Hi Wally.
I see you will use windows decal, so no interiors: always a good and eye catching choice.

I was referring to other external differences from the DC-6B you could need to know about in this conversion:
- different trim tabs on the port wing
- different tyres and rims
- aerials and so on.
So please, if you need something, I'll try to help.
Ciao
Eugenio
72linerlover

Postby VH-WAL » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:28 pm

well, here we go again!, this battered model was stripped of the contrail resin, epoxy and super glue letting go only after inflicting more damage then put back in a box. I sent out an SOS to some modelling groups after some DC-7C 3 views explaining I wanted to build the engine nacelles / saddle tank fairings required for the conversion. My mate Neil Gaunt of Aircraft in Miniature responded and suggested that he could design and make resin bits for the conversion if I was willing to put down some cash to help pay for the masters that would then be used to market more conversion sets. I agreed and after a few months I got my new bits. I pulled the mess out of the box a few weeks ago and started rebuilding it. I am having a crappy time of it, repairing damage and regluing cut off bits (which I had kept luckily as the new bits require different cutting points).
I find that even though the new bits are miles better in shape and quality it is not a "plug and play" conversion. A 1/72 3 view is essential and a lot of grinding filling sanding and priming is required, Someone with better skills than me starting with a "clean" brand new DC-6 kit would probably find it much easier than me with my war-weary, hangar-rashed example.If you can look closely at these pics (hopefully without vomiting) you can see that there are steps between the nacelle and wing fairings that need to be built up with filler, and evidence of filler between the wing nacelle / saddle tanks pieces and the wing top surface. I found if I laid the pieces on the wing at "best fit" the engines would not end up being "up right" so I had to grind material off on one side and fill on the other. Then I had to glue the engine assemblies parallel to each other and with about 3 degrees down thrust reference the wing chord// you can see my simple stick reference mark to help me achieve this.. man it is all pretty rough and ready... anyhoos, the engines are on the wing, I might have to redo the no 2. engine. After filling and sanding the wing halves and all the resin joins I will then have to attach the wing panels to the centre section and rebuild the top skin at the join, that too should be fun.
This is the first time I was able to roughly put it together.. you know what?... it looks like a DC-7C!
Image20191118_134121 by wallycacsabre, on Flickr
Image20191119_093033_001 by wallycacsabre, on Flickr
Image20191119_204057 by wallycacsabre, on Flickr
Image20191119_204104 by wallycacsabre, on Flickr
VH-WAL

Previous

Return to Member's Works in Progress