1/72 DC-7C Conversion WIP (let me share a bit of crapulence)

Show us what's on the bench

1/72 DC-7C Conversion WIP (let me share a bit of crapulence)

Postby VH-WAL » Thu May 26, 2016 6:43 pm

Well I am on a propliner binge at the moment, I have had a Contrails DC-7C resin conversion set in the stash for a while, it is was a box heavy with resin and few instructions, it was taken down and put back up on the stash shelf many times but I bit the bullet a few weeks ago and dragged it and a Heller DC-6 kit down.

Well what a pile of crap the conversion set is, the bottom rear fuselage piece weighed a ton and looked a nightmare to fit and blend in. I didn't like the fuselage extension pieces either so I chucked that lot out and used a spare DC-6 fuselage to donate the extra length required (I had a spare fuselage from my Carvair conversion a while back). Joining the fuselage sections and fairing then all in was a bundle of fun, the conversion set's replacement fin was used (pretty average it is too.. a bit twisted and asymmetric airfoil).
Then to cut the wings and add the resin centre section..WELL! the centre section airfoil was at least 3 ml too skinny so then I added extra thickness bu laminating some plastic sheet over the top.. nah didn't like it so I made my own centre section out of plastic laminated balsa core. A lot more work is required here but first I have to do the engines and cowl and cowl fairings. Ye gods the bits do not even fit approximately! the wing fairings look like they used a sweet potato as a master. I have cut the buggers down to fit, lots of filling and refairing required. No wonder I have never seen a 1/72 DC-7C!
VH-WAL

Re: 1/72 DC-7C Conversion WIP (let me share a bit of crapule

Postby F-27pax » Thu May 26, 2016 11:03 pm

Sounds like they should strike a medal with a title something like 'Hero of the Legion of Struggling Modellers' for undertaking a project like this. I'm sure that you are aware there is a perfectly good (more or less) DC-7C in 1/144 that you could make instead.

Leigh
F-27pax

Postby VH-WAL » Fri May 27, 2016 12:50 am

F-27pax wrote:Sounds like they should strike a medal with a title something like 'Hero of the Legion of Struggling Modellers' for undertaking a project like this. I'm sure that you are aware there is a perfectly good (more or less) DC-7C in 1/144 that you could make instead.

Leigh

cheers Leigh
straight jacket most likely... I don't do 1/144 anymore, I cleansed my stash of that scale a few years ago, only two completed builds come to mind, an Airfix 707 back in the 70's and an Electra about 10 years ago
VH-WAL

Postby RayS » Fri May 27, 2016 8:01 am

Thanks for sharing the blood sweat and tears Wally, I am sure there will be a DC-7C announced once you finish yours :D

I have seen one other 7C built over on BritModeller some years ago. As I recall all the conversion parts were made from scratch.

Could not find the build over there but fond one on Hyperscale. Looks like they pretty much went down the same path as you Wally.
Last edited by RayS on Fri May 27, 2016 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ray

RayS

Postby Graeme H » Fri May 27, 2016 8:02 am

I agree with Leigh's idea

There was once a Vacform, by J&L I think that would be a better path, their kits were made of plastic so thin that you could see through it, and it would wobble all over when you shook it, I made their Electra once, and I still think it might be the way to go. :D
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Fri May 27, 2016 11:30 am

Ah, the master plastic surgeon returns! Another great project for us to follow.

Maybe this will help with the inspiration - if you've not seen it already. For your viewing pleasure .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYM9zZBQkcc
Adam the Akrodude

Postby kfutter » Sat May 28, 2016 8:58 am

Great project, Wal, and despite your setbacks, it looks like you're handling the challenges with aplomb. Looking forward to your continued progress!

Kev
kfutter

Postby Knotty » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:05 pm

Bloody hell Wally , I have one of these to do also :o :o . Mine will be a DC-7C Firebomber that I had a look at in Mardas , Oregon a couple of years back ......... What a magnificent aircraft !!!
Knotty

Postby VH-WAL » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:42 pm

Knotty wrote:Bloody hell Wally , I have one of these to do also :o :o . Mine will be a DC-7C Firebomber that I had a look at in Mardas , Oregon a couple of years back ......... What a magnificent aircraft !!!

the conversion set is fucking awful, no other words for it, I will end up carving my resin chunks into some sort of shape.. this is the most disappointing model accessory purchase I have ever made! boxful of mishappen lumps of shit that come nowhere near fitting the donor aircraft kit

GFRRRRRRRRRR
VH-WAL

Postby RayS » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:42 pm

Will you be letting Mr Contrails know how bad it is?

I told him his P-3AEW conversion set radome support stand was the wrong shape, he had just copied the E-2 Hawkeye one which it was nothing like. Never acknowledged my message but eventually he took it off his web page.
Ray

RayS

Next

Return to Member's Works in Progress