Creating a Monster

Show us what's on the bench

Creating a Monster

Postby VH-WAL » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:22 pm

Years ago I bought a 1/72 Contrail MYA "Bison" on ebay. I dont really know why except it is such a mean looking aeroplane. I opened the box and studied the vacuform kit many time over the years shook my head and pushed it back. About 18 months ago I pulled it out again and cut the bits out of the formed sheets, tried to match the bits together, shook my head and pushed it back again. Then I tried to sell it, hell I tried to give it away but no everyone is smarter than me. My missus left for a 4 week visit to the UK 10 days ago and I thought I would do a model marathon and pulled this bugger out again, sanding filling cutting adjusting swearing and repeat ad nauseam. I have now primed it and loosely attached all the bits together.. jeez it is big, really, really big! Now I wanted to make it as easy as possible for me, at the end of the day I just want a nice looking model, I have no AMS at the best of times and this one will not pay service to scale accuracy..and I am not really interested in the boring VVS scheme, so something unheard of for me, it gonna be a wiffer.. "Air Forski One" no less. I have come to the realisation it is gonna take a hell of a lot of paint! It is so big it is going to be awkward to mask and paint I will have to build some sort of paint jig to do it. I thought I could paint the sub assembles and put them together but is not going to work, the bits dont fit well enough to go that option.. any way I am still thinking while the primer hardens
Image[
VH-WAL

Re: Creating a Monster

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:52 pm

Wow! My, that is a big 'un!

The Motherland drinks to your efforts comrade Wally!

На здоровье!
Adam the Akrodude

Postby VH-WAL » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:59 pm

Adam the Akrodude wrote:Wow! My, that is a big 'un!

The Motherland drinks to your efforts comrade Wally!

На здоровье!

здесь ищет свой килт
VH-WAL

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:54 am

Поздравляем с экспертной работы до сих пор товарищ - партия гордится! Пусть ваши коровы дают больше молока за Родину!
Adam the Akrodude

Postby VH-WAL » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:40 pm

to achieve something like this..still playing with it
VH-WAL

Postby Graeme H » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:16 pm

That is one very impressive colour scheme you have planned
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby VH-WAL » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:08 pm

Graeme H wrote:That is one very impressive colour scheme you have planned

hi Graeme, still modding it, I am happy with the fuselage and fin, I am leaving off the red wingtip pods. I'll do them the wing colour (light aircraft greyish) and I might put the red stars on the wing

cheers
wal
VH-WAL

Postby VH-WAL » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:01 am

Well most of the painting is done (with touch ups required). I tried on some decals that I had produced for my first livery ("experiment) to see how they would have looked and also to check adjustments I have to make to the red hue for the final scheme decals. The first version would have had a mostly white fin with a large motif so. Even though I am not going with these markings in my view they would have looked ok (though the jury is still out on if the fin would have looked any good.)

I am now going for something like this:

so the next few hours will be spent drawing up and printing the required decals
VH-WAL

Postby RayS » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:08 am

I like that Wally.

A few questions on the decal making process...

How much decal paper do you go through for each scheme?
You print on inkjet printer?
You use a free online program to make the decals, you have mentioned it before but I can't recall the name?
Ray

RayS

Postby VH-WAL » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:28 am

RayS wrote:I like that Wally.

A few questions on the decal making process...

How much decal paper do you go through for each scheme?
I try and minimise printing on decal paper, I do go through loads of plain paper with all my trial and error process

You print on inkjet printer?
I used to until this model.
I used a DELL 924 for years but I started having trouble with it so I ditched that and bought a Brother which was unsuitable for my purposes it wouldnt print long straight lines straight and with other "feature I thought it was a crappy printer. I now have a Fuji Xerox laser so far a big thumbs up from me.

You use a free online program to make the decals, you have mentioned it before but I can't recall the name?

Inkscape but it doesn't do everything, I sometimes have to dabble with photoshop and even powerpoint to get the effects I want
VH-WAL

Next

Return to Member's Works in Progress