Ray

RayS

Re: Creating a Monster

Postby VH-WAL » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:29 am

tail plan and one wing on!
VH-WAL

Postby VH-WAL » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:54 pm

Well, it has been a trial, the shape of the wing root and the fuselage wing root fairings were grossly mismatched. I adjusted the wing roots by making plastic ribs which were forced and glued into the wing butt ends (which were open) which increase the wing thickness to almost match the fuselage fairings. The addition of these had a bonus of providing extra support for the wing spars. When the wings were being trial fitted, considerable sanding was required at the wing root base to get the correct(-ish) anhedral and get a good joint. there were still gaps but sand anymore and I would have worn through my ribs.
Both wings were glued on with gaps and shape mismatch still happening at the wingroot junction. Several days were spent filling sanding priming sanding masking priming and respraying the area. That was finished today, I cleaned and polished the now grubby fuselage to get rid of the silver residue finger marks etc right so now while i wait for the silver to harden I have to:
print the decals, do some minor touch ups on the paint (I will use white painted decal paper where required) paint the intake and exhaust interiors, make a refuelling probe, decal it and install some wing fences.
My plan to use an Airfix Concorde stand wont work.. the Bison is too heavy and there is not enough friction on the stand swivel ball to hold the model firmly enough.. I did mention that this thing was big right?
VH-WAL

Postby RayS » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:16 pm

Looks great Wally, from those pictures you would not know you had so much trouble with the wings, oh and the Connie decals have arrived, thanks!
Ray

RayS

Previous

Return to Member's Works in Progress