Vacform Britannia

Show us what's on the bench

Re: Vacform Britannia

Postby VH-WAL » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:06 am

thanks for your comments so far chaps..
Work on this slowed for the last couple of days as I got things shipshape for my wife's return from the UK. My spare bench inside the house has been dismantled and put away..(pity it was damn useful!) then.. having a missus is better than having a spare bench so I can't complain:smile:.

She's back and I got a few hours in on the Britannia, my mission was to do the exhaust / jet pipes. I found aluminium tubing at the local hobby shop in various sizes, I used the K&S tube cutter to cut off the short lengths required. Drilled holes of increasing diameter in the apoxie sculpt - filled rear nacelles filed to shape and put in the slightly flattened tubes. Each engine took at least 30 mins work, they are not perfect but many hundreds of percent better than what they were I still have to "dress up" the exhaust areas put an endplate in so you cant see through all that will be done as the same time as all over seam filling and sanding... lots and lots of it..sigh
VH-WAL

Postby RayS » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:54 am

Ooo! Nice, I need one of the K&S tube cutters, where didi you get your Wally?
Ray

RayS

Postby VH-WAL » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:59 am

RayS wrote:Ooo! Nice, I need one of the K&S tube cutters, where didi you get your Wally?

Ray I have had that tool so long I have no idea where I got it, probably a radio control shop?
VH-WAL

Postby RayS » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:46 pm

Thanks Wally, I got a K&S offcut pack from one of the local shops, I will see if they have the cutter.
Ray

RayS

Postby VH-WAL » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:14 pm

Getting a bit more done besides filling and sanding
A wing box spar created from 2 novelty plastic dominoes that were a woolworths giveaway promotion a few years back.. I kept a few thinking they might become useful plus some plastic beams.
Tailplane spar and one plane installed, (second one is on now)

VH-WAL

Postby VH-WAL » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:41 pm

wings and empennage on!
Engines just pushed on for fun!
VH-WAL

Postby VH-WAL » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:25 pm

Ok so now I have glued the four lady fingers to the wing, a lot of faffing around with steel rulers, eyeballs to the light etc to get them in some semblance of alignment on all axes, a lot of gaps now need to be filled, this will be a job for days, the worst of the "holes" have a wall glued in to stop the filler falling into the void.

VH-WAL

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:29 am

Amazing as always Wally :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby VH-WAL » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:49 pm

hello Paul and others, much filling sanding and patching later.... the engine front ends which were improved earlier on in the piece to give them some depth needed more work, the prop spinners do not extend far enough back from the rear of the blades to give the right look, I toyed with adding plastic material to the back of the prop spinner but settled shaping a plastic piece at the front end of the engines, this gives the model the narrow intake area and the right propeller "sit" much closer to the real thing. The metal props need a heap of fettling straightening and polishing. tedious, no, really tedious work. I gave the wings a shot of silver...... loads of masking coming up with shaded metal bits at the engine "hot" zones, lots of light aircraft grey control surfaces and cowling panels and wing undersurfaces.

trial fitting of the extra intake bit (like a gearbox housing or a truncated shock cone but it isnt)
the intake on the adjacent engine not modified yet

whoops back to the drawing board
The prop spinner mod experiment

shot of silver
VH-WAL

Postby VH-WAL » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:34 pm

things have been going slowish here due the tediousness of masking. wings now done in various shades of metallicness and light aircraft grey. The fuselage gets painted after I sort out the undercarriage mounting.. so I don't mar the fuselage finish while the model is on its back
VH-WAL

PreviousNext

Return to Member's Works in Progress