F#%K YOU CARPET MONSTER!!!!! (Or Testor's 1/48 Mystery Ship)

Show us what's on the bench

Re: F#%K YOU CARPET MONSTER!!!!! (Or Testor's 1/48 Mystery S

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:47 am

After putting it away for a while, I've dragged it out again. The issue I faced after painting the red was that it didn't come out anywhere near as glossy as I would've liked. I attempted to polish the right wing with my Dremel, with not-so-good results...

Switching to Micromesh sanding cloths, I managed to bring the left wing up to a reasonable shine. There are still some flaws in it, though..

The thing is, the polishing process has removed the paint and primer on the wing tip. So my question is, how can I restore the paint? I guess I could just spray it back on, but...
Any and all suggestions welcome!
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby tor lives » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:19 pm

Frankly mate, she needs a "caustic bath" complete strip. Given the nature of the finish and colour you are dealing with, I don't see any other alternative.
TOR
tor lives

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:56 pm

Well crap. Can you suggest an effective way of sealing the cockpit to prevent losing oain in there?
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby tor lives » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:04 pm

Cap'n Wannabe wrote:Well crap. Can you suggest an effective way of sealing the cockpit to prevent losing oain in there?

As brutal as it sounds, you would need to re-split the fuselage and extract from the cockpit area what you want to save from the caustic soda bath....then start again. I just had to split the 747-100 I am working on and although it hurts (indeed it feels like a massive step backwards), it is for the greater good of the project. Some times ya gotta be cruel to be kind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXaufjU8FDg .
TOR
tor lives

Postby hrtpaul » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:24 pm

And when you repaint it, use pink tamiya primer instead of the grey and it'll look like a much brighter red.
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:49 pm

Given I use acrylic paint, a caustic bath wasn't necessary. I generally use Selly's BBQ cleaning foam to strip paint - it works wonders.....after about 10 minutes, the paint's gone. Normally I'd just spray it all over and put it down, but this time I got a bit wise. I carefully painted it around the cockpit with a brush (after removing the transparency), then scrubbed with a toothbrush. It took about 4 goes, but I got most of the paint off. Then I sprayed the rest in sections - there's just the bottom of the right wing to go.
Once it's back in primer, I'll go over it and fix all the blemishes I can find, then micromesh the primer. After that, I'll use the pink primer I picked up this morning (got that for my 1/48 Miss Behavin' T-6 Reno Racer..)
Cap'n Wannabe

Previous

Return to Member's Works in Progress