It's time......Nichimo 1/20 Aero Subaru

Show us what's on the bench

Re: It's time......Nichimo 1/20 Aero Subaru

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:25 am

Half the cooling fins are now ready to be primed.....on one side.....then I have to turn them over and prime the other side...then do the same again with the final coat...
That's 66 parts right there!
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:25 am

Haven't done anything further, except to get the bottom wing section out of the box to remove the fairing extensions. On Thursday I'll be going to the airfield again to take photos of the engine and cockpit (and anything else I think of at the time) so I can start painting the engine bits. It'll be interesting to see if I can pull it off!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:04 pm

I stopped by Riddel airfield today (after a brief visit with our own Raymond) and took some photos of the engine and cockpit of VH-FJA. The engine is painted all over in Lycoming Grey, which made life easier for me as I could assemble the engine and paint it as one unit, rather than priming and painting the individual fins. So when I got home, I ordered some Lycoming Grey in a rattle can.
It's starting to look like an engine now!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:12 pm

No pics for the moment, but I've primed and painted the engine Lycoming Grey. The paint didn't come out so well - it's very glossy, and pulled away from some areas. Ended up decanting some paint and applying it with a brush. In other news, my 3D printer arrived on Monday, and after "supervising" my son assembling it, I've started running some test prints, as well as roughing out some baffles for the engine. I'm not overly impressed with the print quality, but then again, that could simply be a matter of playing around with the settings. More to follow...
Cap'n Wannabe

Previous

Return to Member's Works in Progress