Big Movie Jet

Show us what's on the bench

Big Movie Jet

Postby tor lives » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:23 pm

OK, so post Model Expo here is my "kick off" project.
I got a really cheap Revell 1:144 747-100 at the Swap and Sell this year, (best 747 in 1:144) so, in an effort to improve and refine my metal finishes for other projects, I thought I would do her in the colours of the fictitious Stevens Corporation from the movie Airport 77, (love my movie jets). It is really quiet a simple, modified American Airlines scheme she will be wearing, (in fact not that different from the NASA SCA 747-100 that Ray.S is currently working on). I will be using a basic American Airlines decal sheet with custom-made Stevens Corporation titles and stylised "S" on the vertical stab,(thanks Damo). In the movie she has a highly-polished natural metal finish because she is a private jet.
Here is what she will hopefully look like.
And here was her fate in the movie (she actually looks like a Revell 1:144 model in this shot :D ).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZUkfmBCsrE
Anyway, this is the project I hope will see the return of my modelling mojo to the point where I might actually finish a model.
TOR
tor lives

Re: Big Movie Jet

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:53 am

Go Ray! You can do it!
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby Graeme H » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:00 am

Good to see you get a bit of mojo happening Ray
Interesting scheme

Could debate with you about that kit being the best 747 in 1/144th, you obviously have not seen an Authentic Airliners one, but then at probably 100 times the price, it would need to be
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby tor lives » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:21 am

Graeme H wrote: Could debate with you about that kit being the best 747 in 1/144th, you obviously have not seen an Authentic Airliners one, but then at probably 100 times the price,

I actually have seen ALL the Authentic Airliners kits in both 1:144 and 1:72 and, while they are lovely, they are ridiculously over-priced.
Consequently, I stand by my statement. For all intents and purposes the Revell 1:144 Boeing 747-100/200 is the BEST kit of it's types in that scale.
Given it's vintage, it has certainly stood the test of time.
TOR
tor lives

Postby tor lives » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:38 pm

OK.....so here is the first update.
Much work has been done on her this past week or so. When I bought her at Swap & Sell the fuselage had already been joined. To ensure that the finished model has that "solid" look I had to split and open the fuselage again, and paint all her insides matt black, (this is a little trick I have picked up along the way with airliners, especially ones where the white plastic is very translucent....as is the case with this kit).
While the fuselage was opened I also took to opportunity to put weight in her, (otherwise she would definitely be a tail-sitter....not a good look for a big, ol 747 :? ). At the same time I plugged all the windows with plasticard so that they can later be bogged and sanded, (the plasticard acts as a firm backing and foundation for the bog).
Wings and horizontal stabs have also been built (including the internal "blackening" process), and, in the case of the wings, joined to the fuselage.
I will be using aftermarket P&W JT9 engines on this kit because the engines in question are nicely made with a high quality resin, are flawless-moulded, and are smooth-finished. This is important as the engines will be a highly-polished NM finish and the surface will dictate just how good a finish I will be able to achieve.
Anyway, here she is so far.

She is still on the model desk and has yet to reserve her spot on the "curtain rail of doom".....so that's encouraging :D.
TOR
tor lives

Postby hrtpaul » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:58 pm

Looking good there old boy :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:09 pm

Lookin' pretty sweet there Raymondo!
Adam the Akrodude

Postby DesTROYer » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:57 pm

Very nice Ray. Good to see you doing something. Looking forward to seeing the metal finish on this.
DesTROYer

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:23 pm

Looks great mate! When are you making the hook? :twisted: :twisted:
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby tor lives » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:26 pm

Cap'n Wannabe wrote:When are you making the hook? :twisted: :twisted:

Already done, (just in case :D ).
TOR