1/32 NACA Bell X-1 Finished

Show us what's on the bench

1/32 NACA Bell X-1 Finished

Postby Ericg » Sun May 04, 2014 5:52 pm

Hi guys,

This is my first post to this forum and I will put only civil stuff (well sorta civil) on here as I am loyal to AMI and also LSP and don't like to have too many forums going on at one time.

Here is my WIP of the Revell Bell X-1 in the preferred scale of 1/32. An older kit, it was produced in 1988 and maintains some of the technical aspects of kits from that vintage, namely raised panel lines and some soft detail. As I am depicting it when it was operated by NACA (a US federal agency) I guess it sorta qualifies as a civil bird.

Here's where I am at. I have this on AMI as well but for those that self destructed or where Terminated, here it is!

There was a bit of a story behind this model. I started this one about 10 months ago, with some parts glued together etc. I was contained in a large zip-lock bag. I then moved house and couldn't find it again no matter how hard I tried. It was only until I did a bit of a stash stocktake a couple of weeks ago that I opened the Trumpeter F-105 box, and there it was! I was so happy that I re-started it. Also this one should't be to long a build and as I am on holidays at the moment and thought that I would rather have a couple of finished models from stalled projects (like my Sopwith Triplane and this one) than half a half completed big build.

So into the WIP.

A big downfall of the Revell kit is the really small engine nozzles that look like a `sausage roll being thrown down a hallway'.

I scratchbuilt a new set of nozzles and cast a copy for use on other projects. I added some more detail to the resin part and also included the taper inside each cone so that it looks much more realistic,

Problem solved

I scrubbed off all of the detail of the kit panel and replaced it with the excellent airscale bezels and decal instruments. I also added the switches from stretched sprue, and to save painting them, I used some silver sprue from the Revell Mirage.

To tart the panel up even more, I gave it a coat of Tamiya Semi gloss clear to give it all the same sheen, and then applied clear canopy glue to each instrument to simulate the glass.

Here is the completed side panel. I think there is a bit of fantasy with the configuration of the part on the behalf of Revell, but I thought it would be OK, save for the same instrument bezel treatment as above. The stencil date has come from this excellent sheet as reviewed here:
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/inde ... mh-models/

Here is the control column, not quite finished yet.

Last edited by Ericg on Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ericg

Re: Bell X-1

Postby Ericg » Sun May 04, 2014 6:07 pm

Moving right along, I replaced the moulded on kit seatbelts with those from RB Productions. These are excellent belts that look the real deal if care is taken to construct them. Rather than complicate matters too much, I glued the belts over the top of the kit ones.

Now one belt is missing.... During the construction of one of the buckles, it took a leap from the tweezers that I was holding it in and a couple of seconds later I heard it land in places distant to me. After a few minutes search it didn't show up so rather than throw away valuable modelling time looking for it I will order another set. It is easy enough to access to add the other side.

Cockpit before fuselage close up

Once the fuselage is closed up, there is quite a large and very visible hole behind the instrument panel. This just had to be filled, so I pre drilled holes in each instrument before close up such that they would accept copper wire. I thought it would be easy enough to wire up the panel after close up, giving it a much more natural look.

Here is a weird plastic shape......

Which becomes one of two intakes on the rear of each side of the fuselage

I have also been having a play with my recently aquired Cutting Edge X-1E conversion. They will look good together in the display cabinet.

Ericg

Postby Capt NG » Sun May 04, 2014 6:20 pm

Like it allot Eric..i have a soft spot for the X-1 and the X series aircraft.. Looking forward to seeing this one done.
It's hard for me to get used to these changing times... I remember when the air was clean and the sex was dirty..
Capt NG

Postby Knotty » Sun May 04, 2014 6:56 pm

Welcome Eric , great to see you on here , this one is coming along nicely . Might catch up with you at expo if your down . :) :)
Knotty

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sun May 04, 2014 7:09 pm

Hey Eric!

Great to see you here! It's going to be excellent to see your advanced and "envelope pushing" modelling skills in action here and comment upon. Great subject to start with. Will it be Yeager's X-1? I'd refer to it by the name he had painted on the side, but I'm worried about being sued by his wife!

I built the Eduard 1/48 X-1 years ago - lovely kit. I did not know the X-1E had such different wings - interesting.

What brand interior green is that?

Cheers

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Ericg » Sun May 04, 2014 7:44 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for the welcome.

Adam, I am still unsure about the scheme. Was thinking of doing Yeagers machine in the orange initially but was leaning towards an all over white scheme, with NACA markings.

Here:

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2 ... _x1_06.jpg

and the X-1E here:

http://home.windstream.net/jmustain/x-1e.jpg

The machines depicted above are essentially the same aircraft. S/N 6063 was initially an X-1 which was then converted to the X-1E, hence the same serial numbers on the tail. It was the only one to have gone through this conversion. I do like the idea of having both models as the `same' aircraft as it will be an interesting comparison to have them parked side by side. The X-1E will need a scratch built cockpit.

Eric
Ericg

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sun May 04, 2014 8:36 pm

I like this idea - certainly doing a non-Yeager X-1 I think has great merit.
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Nillus » Mon May 05, 2014 2:13 am

Beautiful work Ericg
...I assume of the 1/32 Mirage IIIO fame?
Nillus

Postby Ericg » Mon May 05, 2014 7:34 pm

The more I think about it the more it makes sense to do a white scheme, that way I can show the airliner boys how its done hey Adam!

Salty, you mean this one?
Then yes, it is me!

Eric.
Ericg

Postby Nillus » Mon May 05, 2014 8:57 pm

*sigh*
I can only dream of doing such a great job.
Last edited by Nillus on Tue May 06, 2014 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nillus

Next

Return to Member's Works in Progress