B737-800 Air Niugini

Show us what's on the bench

B737-800 Air Niugini

Postby Graeme H » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:37 pm

I am building one of the new Zvezda (apparently translates as Star) 737-800 Kits, which I got last year, but not had time to do until now.

I started with the Engines, putting the 2 parts that make up the inlet together, then spraying on some Alclad primer ready for later

ImageDSCN1170 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

Then added the clear windows that they give you, although one needs to take care with the rear set as you have to cut off one window, then closed up the fuselage, remembering to put in the nose gear bay

ImageDSCN1172 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

The wings have a front and rear spar that you attach to the lower wing before putting on the upper wings which form the upper part of the Main gear bay, very clever that

ImageDSCN1173 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

All of this took about an hour and a half, at this rate I might get this one finished pretty quickly, it's a lovely kit with really good fit and detail so far.
Graeme
Graeme H

Re: B737-800 Air Niugini

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:50 pm

Lookin' good, Graeme!
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby Graeme H » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:56 pm

Well, I got the fuselage sorted and then decided on putting the wings together, very easy, although the plastic is very thin and flexible, this kit is a real beauty compared to the Revell one.

I added the flap track fairings, which leave a small gap at the front and a couple didn't sit down properly, I used some Vallejo Acrylic Filler, I didn't like this stuff at first, but now that I have developed my own technique, I find it very useful.

ImageDSCN1179 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

I like to put it on, and almost immediatly wipe the excess off, so no sanding required.

added

ImageDSCN1176 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

removed
ImageDSCN1177 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

and some on the gap between the wing and fairing, which is always such a bugger to fill and sand off
ImageDSCN1178 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

Now I had tried the wing to fuselage fit, and it is really good so decided to paint separately to cut down on the masking will have to wait to see how that turns out.

I had read that Tamiya had released a new line of lacquer paints that is supposedly the stuff from the spray cans.
So sent off the BNA who had it in stock to try some out, as you do, was amazed at the Aust Post notifications that went into my inbox, dispatched last Thursday, notified it had arrived on Wednesday, but the email was from Tuesday, and when looking at my email later on Wednesday, said delivered, so went and opened the front door and there it was, blimey that was good.

Pity I can't say the same thing about the paint, it is very thin in the bottle, but I did thin it just a little, but it sprayed something shocking, I tried higher pressure, lower pressure, different airbrushes, tried thicker, thinner yet more, it always came out splotchy, and no opacity at all.
This is the forward fuselage that has been sprayed with the flat.

ImageDSCN1185 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

You can see I have used the Vellejo to fill some of the windows, worked a treat, although I'm not sure it would have been needed as I will use decals for the window

Where it is at the moment

ImageDSCN1188 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby RayS » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:31 pm

Good to see this kit getting some attention. This is the second one I have seen built, the first was in the flesh and it had been assembled very nicely in the green Kulula scheme
Ray

RayS

Postby Graeme H » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:02 pm

One thing I forgot to mention there is a sink mark on each side of the rudder, that I filled with superglue as I find using accelerator I can do all that in a couple of minutes, no pics of that

then went back to my normal method of painting white fuselages
First a spray or two of Tamiya Flat White, and later I will add Tamiya Gloss White simples no

first the centre section of the fuselage that is on the wing sprue
ImageDSCN1189 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

then the fuselage
ImageDSCN1191 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

Both resting in the box
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby RayS » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:08 pm

Looks much better Graeme
Ray

RayS

Postby Graeme H » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:58 am

Well I got the wings on, but the fit wasn't quite as perfect as I'd hoped, so had to do a small amount of filling and sanding

ImageDSCN1234 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

Then it was the normal, paint, sand, paint sand, paint sand, paint sand, well you all know about that part and a white paint job

ImageDSCN1262 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

Started putting the stickers on, not used these V1 decals before, nicely printed, these being laser printed and quite fragile, so port side, quite OK with the smaller decals.

ImageDSCN1275 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

then the starboard side, with the big decal

ImageDSCN1273 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

Now the eagle eyed will notice that the decal split, not surprising with a decals this long, just after the 6th window behind the overwing emergency exit
Tried a lot of water and a brush to get under the decal to no avail, so will touch that up with a bit of paint I hope.

From past experience I will leave it a day to settle before I can put the other side on, nothing worse than holding a model while you put a decal on and see the other side one has decide to stick to your fingers. :shock:
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby Graeme H » Thu May 03, 2018 10:35 am

Got the other side done, moving along with this, needing to put the undercarriage and Engines on and it will look at bit better

ImageDSCN1282 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby RayS » Thu May 03, 2018 4:59 pm

Decals look nice Graeme, When I saw the picture of the scheme on the decal sheet I thought it looked a little white whaleish. After seeing the decals on the model I am liking the scheme more.
Ray

RayS

Return to Member's Works in Progress