Minicraft SIA B777-214ER (and BA 777-236ER)

Show us what's on the bench

Minicraft SIA B777-214ER (and BA 777-236ER)

Postby RayS » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:56 pm

Its hard to believe almost 18 months ago Canberra got it first truly regular International airline service. And at that time restarted a stalled B777 build

As you can see it was not the best of days

So here was my build at that point, I had bogged up the wing-body fairing

Fixed up the flap track fairings

got some engines assembled

Added some wings and antenna

gear legs attached

and did a test fit of subassemblies

I also managed to squirt some paint on

Since October 2016 not much had happened, I managed to tidy up the wing paintwork

and got some paint on the engines

But I noticed some irregularities so I rub parts of them back and this arvo resprayed. I recall I stopped work on this due to the paintwork on the wheels, I had sprayed the hubs and masked them

But the black did not go on well with a lot of bleeding so I stripped them back, I now need to find them to see there state and get this baby finished!
Last edited by RayS on Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ray

RayS

Re: Minicraft SIA B777-214ER

Postby DesTROYer » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:38 am

That’s gonna look good. Keep it up.
DesTROYer

Postby Graeme H » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:01 am

oooh ahh, loving this one
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby Ansett A330 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:41 pm

RayS wrote:I also managed to squirt some paint on

That's not the caption I was expecting to this photo!

I'm guessing that's the Zvezda 777-300ER alongside which to me would be a good enough reason not to continue with the Minicraft -200 (and to a larger extent the Doyusha -200!). I honestly thought people would be dumping their Minicraft kits when the Zvezda kit came out but don't think this has occurred.

Interested in what you think of the two of them seeing you are building them both?
Ansett A330

Postby RayS » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:46 pm

Ansett A330 wrote:
RayS wrote:I also managed to squirt some paint on

That's not the caption I was expecting to this photo!

I'm guessing that's the Zvezda 777-300ER alongside which to me would be a good enough reason not to continue with the Minicraft -200 (and to a larger extent the Doyusha -200!). I honestly thought people would be dumping their Minicraft kits when the Zvezda kit came out but don't think this has occurred.

Interested in what you think of the two of them seeing you are building them both?

Not Zvezda Rob, the -300 is made up from 2 Minicraft kits before the Zvezda kit came out, I has had a few paint strips and a set of decals which I botched by misaligning them,I have replacement decals now and thought I would get on with it.

I do have the Zvezda kit in the both Zvezda and Revell boxes. It is greatly refined compared to the poor old Minicraft kit and will build up nicely. I picked up a set of Braz engines and clipped wing tips just in case I have the urge to make a Zvezda -300 into a -200.

I don't mind the Minicraft kit, it is not over-engineered parts wise and most of its issues are fixed with a bit of elbow grease (read filing and sanding).
Last edited by RayS on Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ray

RayS

Postby Ansett A330 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:30 pm

RayS wrote:Not Zvezda Rob, the -300 is made up form 2 Minicraft kits before the Zvezda kit came out, ...

Well done. Was there a build thread anywhere? What engines did you use?

RayS wrote:I do have the Zvezda kit in the both Zvezda and Revell boxes. It is greatly refined compared tot he poor old Minicraft kit and will build up nicely. I picked up a set of Brax engines and çlipped'wing tips just in case I have the urge to make a Zvezda -30 into a -200.

Yes I suspect there will be a few of these "back" conversions be done to the Zvezda kit especially at some of the prices you can get the Zvezda kit for now compared with the Minicraft kit although Graeme will probably remember the crazy (low) price the Minicraft kit was going for at Telford in 2005. 10 Pound wasn't Graeme? Seemed like everything was 10 Pound on that trip ... . Pity the AUD was so low that year!
Ansett A330

Postby RayS » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:50 am

Ansett A330 wrote:
RayS wrote:Not Zvezda Rob, the -300 is made up form 2 Minicraft kits before the Zvezda kit came out, ...

Well done. Was there a build thread anywhere? What engines did you use?

Here, but the image links are dead. I will sort them out when I have access to the images and can rehost
Ray

RayS

Postby RayS » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:58 pm

Dragging this thread from the depths, gee almost 2 years to the day since the thread was last touched.

Not sure why I put off progressing it after seeing how it looks now.

Anyway the masking was started on the engines and tail planes and some SMS silver sprayed on them as well as a couple of engine-ish colours on the exhaust sections

The masking came off and they looked OK

I also masked and painted the wing and vertical stab

I also put some wheels and MLG bogies on to see how it looked

So I suppose it is now finally ready for some decals only 4 years after starting it!
Ray

RayS

Postby RayS » Mon May 02, 2022 5:52 pm

I suppose I should finish this one off, I did manage to get some decals on it but stuffed them up. I have a second set of decals now and need to repaint the fuselage
Ray

RayS

Re: Minicraft SIA B777-214ER and BA 777-236

Postby RayS » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:33 am

Work has recommenced on this one.

I got this far with decals before the setting solution I used tarnished the gold section

The dodgy decalling was sanded back and the fuselage was prepped for a repaint.

And primed

I also started another 777 not long after this one to be built aa s British Airways jet, G-YMMM which was the aircraft that landed short at Heathrow some years ago due to fuel starvation issues. So I will include the progress here as well.

Progress so far

The decals

And some work last night to correct the flap track fairings. The inboard one is done and the rest to follow, filing them down from a squarish cross-section more rounder.

All finished after about a half hours work
Ray

RayS

Next

Return to Member's Works in Progress