Airfix BAC 1-11 - AIR CALIFORNIA -

Show us what's on the bench

Airfix BAC 1-11 - AIR CALIFORNIA -

Postby TheChronicOne » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:12 am

Weee!!! Here we go! In an unprecedented bout of being overwhelmed with real world issues I haven't spent more than a single hour working on ANY builds in just shy of two weeks. This is most time I spent NOT working on builds in a couple years. Since I started back at the hobby, really. (June 2016) I got used to working on things at least every day for a few hours. I'm back, now, though, so time to get after it.

Right now I'm sanding away the last remnants of surface detail on the upper wings. Once this is complete I'll be gluing on new wing fences that I made out of one of those plastic cards they send in the mail.... well, not really plastic... layered laminated paper or some crap but it's just stout enough (barely) and sandable so it works in a pinch. I don't have any sheet styrene or things of that nature on hand so I often use random household garbage. :lol: :lol: Anyway.... beforeI do that, I need to hit the wing tops with a shot of primer so I can see if I actually am done with PSR on those. No point in gluing on the fences until this is done.

Also, I got slightly carried when I re-shaped the nose and made it a wee bit long so I sanded it back ever so slightly and got it back into shape again the best I could. I hope it looks alright.

I'd post a picture that I just took but my image hoster is having a hiccup. It'll be back up later, but for now, I can't upload. It doesn't really LOOK any different from the last photo I took of it, however:

For now, I need to sand it some more. I'm not sure what the hell the business is with these wing tops (I think I'm trying to spray on too heavy a coat) but some stuff still shines through and sometimes it's not because it's not flat, it's just acting... weird. As if the stuff were oil or something. But anyway... I'll need to sand it again and next time I'll do thin layers. Nose is back in shape though so that's a bit of progress! :P This sanding will have to wait, though, as this needs to dry a couple days so I don't foul it. This primer is getting mighty thick in spots and I just sprayed it thick so I need to let it dry.

Might work on my ATR-72 here in a bit so keep an eye peeled for a new thread about that one. It's also started but I still have a long, long way to go.
Last edited by TheChronicOne on Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Re: Airfix BAC 1-11 - PACIFIC EXPRESS -

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:48 am

Lookin' good!
I've got one somewhere deep in the bowels of my stash. I started on it years ago, and got as far as correcting the fin chord before I had to pack it away due to moving house. One of these days...
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby Graeme H » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:22 pm

Liking this very much
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby tor lives » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:24 pm

As a former BAC 111 crew member I am loving this build. I think you have nailed the nose shape....she sure looks like a BAC 111 to me.
I will be following this one with much interest.
This is the BAC 111 that I crewed, (one of two). She was decked-out in a VIP "Head of State" configuration and operated, (along with several other types), by our equivalent to your USAF "Air Force One" unit.
By the way.....welcome to our little site and community, we are very happy to have you "on-board".
TOR
tor lives

Postby RayS » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:48 pm

tor lives wrote:As a former BAC 111 crew member I am loving this build. I think you have nailed the nose shape....she sure looks like a BAC 111 to me.
I will be following this one with much interest.
This is the BAC 111 that I crewed. She was decked-out in a VIP "Head of State" configuration and operated, (along with several other types), by our equivalent to your USAF "Air Force One" unit.
By the way.....welcome to our little site and community, we are very happy to have you "on-board".
TOR

...and I used to fix what Ray broke on this jet so it could fly the next day and Ray could break something else :D
Ray

RayS

Postby tor lives » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:56 pm

RayS wrote:...and I used to fix what Ray broke on this jet so it could fly the next day and Ray could break something else :D

:lol: :lol: .....so true. We would have been lost without our intrepid, hard-working, and miracle-producing techos!!, they were are great bunch of guys and girls. They always got my arse home safely, and for that they will always have my thanks and respect.
TOR
tor lives

Postby TheChronicOne » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:05 pm

Thanks gents.

I'll be back to work on this'n tomorrow. Should be dry enough to properly sand on by then.

I hadn't thought about the fin chord!! Is the tail fin too wide or something? Yikes!
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:19 am

TheChronicOne wrote:Thanks gents.

I'll be back to work on this'n tomorrow. Should be dry enough to properly sand on by then.

I hadn't thought about the fin chord!! Is the tail fin too wide or something? Yikes!

The tail fin is too narrow, by about 5mm or so, IIRC. Also the nose gear is dead centre on the model, whereas they were offset on the real thing.
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby RayS » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:32 am

Cap'n Wannabe wrote:

The tail fin is too narrow, by about 5mm or so, IIRC. Also the nose gear is dead centre on the model, whereas they were offset on the real thing.

Ahhh, I think you are confusing the nose gear offset with the Trident. As I recall the nose gear was on the centre line of the BAC 1-11 Damo.
Ray

RayS

Postby tor lives » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:12 pm

RayS wrote:
Cap'n Wannabe wrote:

Ahhh, I think you are confusing the nose gear offset with the Trident. As I recall the nose gear was on the centre line of the BAC 1-11 Damo.

Actually, you are both right.....it is indeed the Trident with the off-set nose gear, but the Airfix 1:144 Trident kit has the nose gear erroneously located on the centre line.
TOR
tor lives

Next

Return to Member's Works in Progress