Airfix BAC 1-11 - AIR CALIFORNIA -

Show us what's on the bench

Re: Airfix BAC 1-11 - PACIFIC EXPRESS -

Postby TheChronicOne » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:54 pm

Thanks!!! This one is finally starting to look like something. I think I'll be masking and putting the black paint on today then I can gloss it and let it sit around a few more days. I suppose I could rush things but there's no real need. I'd like to get started on a 737-200 soon but I don't want to feel like I'm pressed for time.
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby TheChronicOne » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:43 am

I didn't let the white paint finish gasing out before I tried to put some clear on it and it crazed. It's been a couple years since I've done all-rattlecan paint jobs so I'm rusty. Anyway... I had to let it dry a week then sanded it down and finally last night I painted it again. Picture is sort of blurry but it actually looks nicer than it has all build so I'm rather pleased and after this stuff dries awhile I can start putting the transfers on. Oddly enough, I'm going to do this one a bit different... I'm going to put the transfers on BEFORE I paint the black bottom and half of the fin. Reason being, I have solid places on the plane where the transfers line up so if I put those on first, it'll make masking for the black a lot easier. It just means I have to put an extra clear coat on at some point but it eliminates all the hassle of trying to keep thin masking tape straight going around curves and the like. Not to mention the engines and tailplanes are already on so I'm having to cheat at little.... on the cheat line. .. . .. . :lol:

Anyway, here it is:

:)

After that stuff, I'll finish up the wings. I need to put the fences on still, prime one last time, then mask for the silver stripe stuff. At that point it's just putting on the antennas and gear doors and stuff. :ugeek:
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Re: Airfix BAC 1-11 - AIR CALIFORNIA - (livery change!)

Postby TheChronicOne » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:32 pm

BAD NEWS! The transfers went tits-up and since I started on the most important one first, one of the cheatlines (port side!) I can't stop and use decal maker on them so I've had to change the livery on this for a second time. I don't have much to work with, don't want to use the stuff that came with the kit (it's too late to fill windows and I don't want to do the hole-punch jive) so I've had to "make-do" with what I actually have on hand. What will that be? Well, I have two sets of Air California markings, one in 1/144 to be applied to a 737-200 and another in 1/200 scale that I was going to find something to put on in the future. Well, the future has arrived and I've decided to make this airliner a "what if" and dress it up in Air California dress. I'll be making ONE change, however, as a throw-back to Pacific Express and to make it just a little different.... I'll be painting the fin black rather than yellow. Otherwise, I'm going to copy the Air California (late) scheme. So, between this and the other I'll have both early and late schemes so that's nice. They ought to look nice together too once I eventually have the 737 built. THAT will be a ways off because I'm going to do the Saudia one first.

But anyway... that's the latest on this. I'm going to go out and buy a can of rattle can paint because I don't feel like spending 2 hours layering yellow with hairy sticks. It would wind up looking like a big yellow strip of armor plating down the side of the plane and I don't need all that. .... :lol: :lol: :lol:

So, anyway, here's the scheme (Just picture the fin being black rather than yellow):

I know what you're thinking, but the round sundial thing or whatever they call it that goes on the fin has a white border so it won't just blend into the black paint. And, of course, if it doesn't "look" right I can always go and change it to yellow like it is "supposed" to be.
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby hrtpaul » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:25 pm

What a cracker scheme on that 737. Absolutely love it :) :) :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby TheChronicOne » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:07 am

hrtpaul wrote:What a cracker scheme on that 737. Absolutely love it :) :) :)

Totally!! Ain't it grand? I love it... but.. it IS one of those "love it or hate it" type of schemes, I think. I KNOW the older one is. I can't blame people for thinking it's guady, or tacky, or ugly or whatever but I think it's totally cool. So retro.

For that may not have seen it when I posted it in challenge thread, feast your eyes :lol: :

Just nuts... :P :D
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Re: Airfix BAC 1-11 - AIR CALIFORNIA -

Postby hrtpaul » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:32 pm

Pretty colours FTW :) :) :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby TheChronicOne » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:53 am

This one is finally coming together. In fact, I ought to be finished with it this evening.

Not that great, but, as of today, it's starting to look better:

:mrgreen:
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby hrtpaul » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:38 pm

Looking great man :) :) :)
hrtpaul

Postby TheChronicOne » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:33 am

Thanks, biggin! As you know, I'm finished with it finally, but I'm still trying to get some good pictures together...

For now:

Since it wound up being a "what if" I went ahead and took some liberties, mainly the wing fences I dispensed with completely and antenna placement and ommission of other antennas. :mrgreen:

That said, I did manage some of the necessary mods including re-shaping the nose, adding the APU exhaust, deleting the inaccurate landing lights, and a couple other things.
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby RayS » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:27 pm

Lovely!
Ray

RayS

PreviousNext

Return to Member's Works in Progress