American Eagle ATR-72 1/144

Show us what's on the bench

Re: American Eagle ATR-72 1/144

Postby TheChronicOne » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:33 pm

Thanks!! It's been a labor of love all the way through. Very intensive project but it's been fun the entire time!!!!! I can't say that about every build....

I snagged one of those Italeri 42's as well, plastic looks really good but that's as far as I've got. Happy to see it put out and very surprised it came from Italeri. Very surprised to see Italeri put out someting in that scale, too... it's just weird all around. I don't think "1/144 or airliner" when I think "Italeri." :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby TheChronicOne » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:57 am

I need some help. This registration counfounds me. N4EA. I look it up and all I can find is stuff for a Gates Learjet. Seeing as how it's shorter than usual, am I missing something here? Is it actually N444EA(comes back to a Cessna, so not it) or something and they shorten it for some reason because the numbers repeat... or what??? None of the material with the transfers mentions it.

I search "ATR-72 N4EA" and get nothing of use... I search "American Eagle N4EA" and get nothing of use....

Aside from that, everything else is going great! Nazca decals are still very nice and the F-RSIN bird itself is still glorious. Going to break the decal application into 3 parts I think. I may go for it all today but I kind of planned on doing other things and now I'm suddenly losing time working on this registration number mystery. The funny thing is, the decals are already on so it's sort of a moot point. :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby Ansett A330 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:23 am

Ansett A330

Postby Ansett A330 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:29 am

The only four alpha numeric in that is N4AE :

https://www.airfleets.net/ficheapp/plane-atr-244.htm

I can only guess that the Decal Manufacturer reversed the last two letters so as not to pay any Royalties?
Ansett A330

Postby Ansett A330 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:32 am

TheChronicOne wrote:Image

The other Rego on the Sheet N448AM is there though :

https://www.airfleets.net/ficheapp/plane-atr-448.htm

So maybe they just stuffed up?
Ansett A330

Postby TheChronicOne » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:04 am

Has to be it! Oh well... they're staying as they are. :lol: This is something I should have checked BEFORE I started putting them on. Honestly, I'm not too bothered by it. I've found a few other inaccuracies as well but If were to really start nit picking, I could be at it all day. I could try to take these off but some have been on a few days and others are tiny and on top of other transfers. Also, I'd have to meticulously cut out and apply the new reg one by one and that's not my idea of a good time right now. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

This means I can now post it on the What If board! :lol: :lol: :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby TheChronicOne » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:10 am

Damn! :lol:

-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby TheChronicOne » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:47 am

Let's see here... I've finally painted and cleared the props and spinners. A rather simple affair, luckily!!! Also painted and cleared a couple gear doors that I missed. That wrapes up ALL painting aside from a couple silver blobs I plan to put on the wing tips where lights go. :D

More importantly, I ran my experiment and GOOD NEWS; the Nazca decals work splendidly with my gloss clear!

Next I need to ascertain whether or not I can clear coat this, not because of the decals, but because of the differing types and brands I'm using. My appliance white epoxy paint is Rustoleum, my gloss clear is Krylon. I am LOUSY at the ins and outs of paint and I'm not even sure they should work together. Is appliance epoxy an enamel?? Is my gloss clear a lacquer? I've heard that is a bozo nono but if that's the case, I've sprayed this clear gloss on tons of stuff before and I think some of it was on top of other spray paint that was enamel? I'm going to have to read the damn cans I guess. :lol:

I'll also do a test. It won't be the same circumstances as what I'm working on as the appliance paint has dried all at least 3 weeks now and if I do a test its going to be appliance white then 15 minutes later the clear. I figure if it messes up even in my simple 15 minutes test that I may want to reconsider my options.
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby TheChronicOne » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:26 pm

Alright, todays the day for the Big Push on this one.

Months ago I, mainly joking, made a comment about a deadline for this one to be on Birthday this year. That would be nice as it is my pet project. Well, I didn't even REMOTELY try, or plan it, but as luck would have it things have seemed to line up just right without me having to even do anything! Sure enough, I should be done today (and yup, it's my Birthday... if I had PLANNED it this way, it would never have happened..... ). All I have left are a few transfers (some of which I will likely leave off... I've looked at dozens of pictures and MOST of these aren't even visible or even present) then I need to clear it and then glue on the fiddly bits.

I can't wait to see it done. It already looks really cool just laying on the shelf on it's belly with no gear and no props. I have a feeling those little final touches will finally have this looking right and will be better than ever.

I say all this having not done a lick of dry fitting of the undercrarriage stuff soooo... let's hope nothing weird happens. :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby Ansett A330 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:28 pm

Ansett A330

PreviousNext

Return to Member's Works in Progress