Cessna 195 on floats

Show us what's on the bench

Re: Cessna 195 on floats

Postby Uros » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:00 am

Thank you very much everyone! much apreciated!
F-27pax, I'm happy to help, if I can!
I have completed the paint job on this model. It required a lot of masking and patiece and I like how it came out. Just a few touchups were nedded.
I attached the floats and added missing windshield frames made from white decal stripes.
I started making base for this one. It will be beached on a shore with a simple wooden pier on the side. It's made from styrene and I want it to look like it's been there for a while. Before I go any further, I want to hear your oppinions on how it looks.
Thank you for looking in!
Cheers!
Uros
Uros

Postby F-27pax » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:30 pm

That is a truly beautiful build. Careful and meticulous and the end result is well worth the effort. I dips me lid to you.
F-27pax

Postby TheChronicOne » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:03 am

Beautiful work!!! I'm already looking forward to the NEXT build. :lol: :lol: :lol:

That masking looks to be pretty mind numbing work but worth it in the end.
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby hrtpaul » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:18 pm

Love it mate. Coming along very nicely :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Uros » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:04 am

Thanks everyone!
I've been buissy with this one.
I paited the dock with oil colours. Tires came from spares box.
I also wanted to add some life to the base. Fish are made from green stuf and foil. I used silver paint for the base and oil paints for details.
Then came the time to pour some water. I knew somethidg would go wrong and I was right. First two pours were ok and dried with no problems. Third one, top one, didn't. I have no idea what went wrong. I used something called cold glaze. Its two parts epoxy and i'm sure I mixed it right. I also added to much green tint and it looked like water was full of toxic waste. to fix it, I went over it with water efect for rivers from ammo. It has dark green tint. It looks too dark now, but at least it's dry and dust doesn't stick to it. Oh, and when i was doing that, I managed to knock of the fuselage. so all cables had to be redone.
I'm not happy with how this is going, but it's not that bad for doing "water" for the first time. I have plenty more models to practice.

Thanks for looking in!
Cheers!
Uros
Uros

Postby RayS » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:40 am

Well, it looks fine to me Uros.

I forgot to mention your masking is very crisp. Being able to mask such fine detail and the results you have gotten is fabulous.
Ray

RayS

Postby Ansett A330 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:24 am

Fantastic!

Uros wrote:... and it looked like water was full of toxic waste. ...

Couldn't have been toxic as the Fish are alive!
Ansett A330

Postby Ansett A330 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:40 am

Uros wrote:Then came the time to pour some water. I knew somethidg would go wrong and I was right. First two pours were ok and dried with no problems. Third one, top one, didn't. I have no idea what went wrong. I used something called cold glaze. Its two parts epoxy and i'm sure I mixed it right. ...

... I'm not happy with how this is going, but it's not that bad for doing "water" for the first time. I have plenty more models to practice.

Haven't heard of "Cold Glaze" but are you sure it's an epoxy and not a Polyester Resin?

The only thing that I can think of is what were your timings between pours? The reason I ask this is when you are "layering" different pours it pays to be almost exponential in allowing extra time between pours. For example If you made the second pour three days after the first pour the third pour should be like seven days after the second pour.

Another factor could have been the atmosphere at the times of mixing. Were there any major differences in humidity?

The only other thing I can think of is that if you only added the tint to the third pour it reacted with it changing the curing process. Do you know the chemical details of the tint?

Other that that where is "Cold Glaze" made? if it's anything like some of the Chinese made Epoxys their QC is so variable sometimes they set but a lot of times they don't. If the Chinese weapons systems are anything like their products the Yanks won't have much to worry about half of the time in any armed confrontation!
Last edited by Ansett A330 on Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ansett A330

Postby TheChronicOne » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:24 pm

Looks fine to me, you're over analyzing it methinkgs! The water looks fine and in fact looks just like the real thing in a great many bodies of water. Up around the shore, especially, things can be mossy, slimy, and very green and quite dark so while it may not be what you were going for, it is still "correct" so I wouldn't fret too much! :D I love the lil fishies. :P
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby Ansett A330 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:40 pm

TheChronicOne wrote::D I love the lil fishies. :P

Oh fishy fishy fishy feeesh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QanC47gRBaE
Ansett A330

PreviousNext

Return to Member's Works in Progress