Re: Challenge Build 737-268C - AIR SAUDIA -

Postby Uros » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:39 am

Looking good!
Cheers!
Uros
Uros

Postby TheChronicOne » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:22 am

Thanks, y'all!!!! Steady progress, now. More transfers on. Next up are the windows then I'll start working on the door frames. I have to cut out little pieces of white and grey framing to make it look right so that might take awhile.

-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby TheChronicOne » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:41 am

Bit by bit, the transfers go on. This time, the windows. 8-)

-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby RayS » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:56 pm

Very nice, now it is looking like an airliner
Ray

RayS

Postby hrtpaul » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:59 am

Yep. I'm liking that man. Great work :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby TheChronicOne » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:53 am

Thanks!! I can't tell you how pleasing it is that this is finally going my way. I still have a ton of work left but.... after those windows went on.... yup. We have us an airliner, now!

I have no doubt in my mind it will be complete. I went right up to the edge of throwing in the towel and just making it into some other airline and livery but I am sooooo glad this one worked. I love the colors!!! Blue and green are my favorites and with the nice white.... she's so pretty!! And... I actually seem to have done a decent job of the white paint, too, so that's a plus. I've often struggled trying to get a good finish with rattle cans but the hours of trial and error and learning are starting pay me back and if I just keep at it, I will eventually be able to stick to mainly rattle cans and still get acceptable results.

Anyway.... next task is to run through all the transfers again and make sure I am not missing any. Sure would like to dress up my engines a little bit. It was sketchy and a bit tough for me doing the mods on them because I never had done such a thing before. Once I got them lengthened and got the profile right I decided to not push my luck but the paint is a bit plain and I might try to do something to make them more interesting.
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby TheChronicOne » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:52 am

WITHOUT FURTHER ADO. I *FINALLY* present the Boeing 737......

The long national nightmare is over! ;D I barely worked any at all on this last year but somewhere along the way I learned/figured out how to finally approach painting all the patterns on the underside. Not as easy as you'd think to get it properly plotted, measured, keep straight, and remain accurate. All this stuff going over curves and wrapping around wing roots, etc. I had no clue how to go about it a couple years back so the thing gathered dust... Anyway... about a week ago I got back to it and ran straight to the finish line.

Turned out pretty good I think.

1/144 Airfix(1969) Boeing 737-268C, HZ-AGA Saudia (Saudi Arabian Airlines) as she was delivered in 1972 with full ground kit.

Fotocut PE gravel plate with scratch built connecting mechanisms, new nose gear/gravel plate fairing made of Milliput, modified nose gear doors, filled in the windows, corrected engines (original Airfix) with Milliput spacer, new engine pylon shape using Milliput, stretched sprue vortex dissipaters, & corrected hinge location on tail. The transfers are a mixture of decals between the old ATP and Avigraphics sheets. Rattle can paint for the white and brush painted acrylics for wings, panels, wing interiors, bottom grey section, etc. Rattle can gloss on the white portions and the metal paint on the bottom portion is Champion Sprayon rattle can.

I dragged out some of my previous builds for size comparison including a 737-400, F-4 Phantom, DC-9, etc.

Hands down the most tedious, problematic, and time consuming build I've ever done. It looks so simple.... I mean.. it's just a fuselage, two wings, two engines, and some gear... how difficult can it be? Well.... heh.... :lol: ANYWAY

Thanks to Kit Spackman for the Fotocut PE. I have a set of stairs left over from it that will go on the back of a 727! I'm planning to do the Northwest Orient 727.... you know the one........ it will be my first "in flight" build for an airliner and the first time intentionally doing an in-flight model, period. I've done in-flight a couple times in the past but only because the kit was designed that way and had no gear. Also, I will be attempting to light it... so.... we'll have a lighted in-flight 727 with lowered rear stairs.... ambitious, for sure.

I'd like to dedicate this one to Graeme.
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby hrtpaul » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:57 pm

That looks fantastic mate. You've done really well with it. The other models look great as well :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby oz rb fan » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:57 pm

lovely work there....i must get back to mine one day
oz rb fan

PreviousNext

Return to Member's Works in Progress