Challenge Build 737-268C - AIR SAUDIA -

Show us what's on the bench

Re: Challenge Build 737-200 - AIR SAUDIA -

Postby Ansett A330 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:02 pm

TheChronicOne wrote:If it makes you feel any better, just toss any unwanted crap in with the Fokker and we'll call it good. :lol:

You'll have to give us some obvious hints to go on (like you did with the Fokker) - it's all unwanted crap when a Kit won't play the game (or the modelling skills required far out weigh the modelling talent available)!
Ansett A330

Postby TheChronicOne » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:19 pm

I know the feeling!!! I picked up a double kit of the X3 Stiletto intending to start it immediately.. I was going to combine the two kits into one to make a twin fuselage Stiletto.... it's in 1/144 scale so it would go with my airliner stuff so I was going to make it like... a high speed transport/courier or something. Looked at the stuff and knew I wasn't going to be able to manage it at my current skill level so........ . for now, it sits!! :mrgreen: Not the first and won't be the last time I step off into a project that I can't handle but it don't matter.. I'll get there some day!

I can't think of anything off-hand, I'm just happy with the Fokker. :D

Update time I guess. Back to work on this 737 today. I'm trying to get done with the PSR on the fuselage but it's taking awhile. I keep sanding away too much of the filler I'm putting on. It's glazing putty so it sands away real easy. I've already sanded down the last round of it, though, and I'm going to hit it with some primer here pretty soon. I'll like do a couple layers of it with sanding in between to build things up a bit before I go back with any putty again. Might not need it by now, but who knows!! The other thing I plan to get done today are to paint the gear doors. Once that's done all the fiddly bits are through with aside from any antennas or whatever which I always paint in-situation because it's easier that way.... (to me). If I have time, I'll do the next phase of painting on the main wings, as well. I'm going to get all the stuff I see in the picture on there and should make for some nice looking wings.
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby Ansett A330 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:07 am

TheChronicOne wrote:As far as the other, that would be a good idea. Most likely would be constructing some wooden frame sort of thing for it so it would not only be large but heavier and there's no way I could justify it. Then again, it's hard to ask other to justify it as well. Then again, there are ways to cheat such as not gluing the wings on but that could cause the overall quality of the finished build to suffer if the wings don't sit and stay nice and flush whilst temporarily attached. All things to be considered in the coming weeks I guess. Seems like y'all just had the expo but now it also seems as if it's right around the corner again! :o

I've got an idea but might have to refine it a bit but it would help if you can give us an idea of how much a safely packaged fully built (that is not disassembled in any way) Airfix 737 would cost to ship to Melbourne in a known (that is guaranteed) timeframe.

For example if it costs about $US100 that's about $AUD139 now (and probably even higher if the US Economy doesn't collapse as next year is an Election year for us - meaning Oz - and the AUD is likely to take a dive) so we'd need to raise at least that much to make it happen. The other thing to remember is we have Uros as well so if he could do the same that would be good too.

Anyway when we know more we can start a separate Thread and as Robin Williams once quoted a new Heart Surgeon who said "I've only done a couple of these but Let's try this and see what happens?".
Last edited by Ansett A330 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ansett A330

Postby Ansett A330 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:31 am

Ansett A330 wrote:Image

Just on that Sketch I was wondering what Brand and type (Identifier) everyone uses for the particular colours?

For example (example only - not saying these are "correct"!) :

Silver Tamiya X-11 (Tin) AS-12 (Spray Can)
Coro Tamiya XF-16
Light Grey Tamiya AS2
Ansett A330

Postby TheChronicOne » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:21 pm

One saving grace of the 737-200 is that it is nearly square (if memory serves) so that helps and also it's such a simple thing that it rides better in packages than, say, a Lancaster or something with tons of props, mulitple engines, multiple sets of gear, etc. I have some ideas that involve LEGO bricks, padding, and a couple rubber bands.... 8-)
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby Uros » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:58 am

Ansett A330 wrote:
TheChronicOne wrote:As far as the other, that would be a good idea. Most likely would be constructing some wooden frame sort of thing for it so it would not only be large but heavier and there's no way I could justify it. Then again, it's hard to ask other to justify it as well. Then again, there are ways to cheat such as not gluing the wings on but that could cause the overall quality of the finished build to suffer if the wings don't sit and stay nice and flush whilst temporarily attached. All things to be considered in the coming weeks I guess. Seems like y'all just had the expo but now it also seems as if it's right around the corner again! :o

I've got an idea but might have to refine it a bit but it would help if you can give us an idea of how much a safely packaged fully built (that is not disassembled in any way) Airfix 737 would cost to ship to Melbourne in a known (that is guaranteed) timeframe.

For example if it costs about $US100 that's about $AUD139 now (and probably even higher if the US Economy doesn't collapse as next year is an Election year for us - meaning Oz - and the AUD is likely to take a dive) so we'd need to raise at least that much to make it happen. The other thing to remember is we have Uros as well so if he could do the same that would be good too.

Anyway when we know more we can start a separate Thread and as Robin Williams once quoted a new Heart Surgeon who said "I've only done a couple of these but Let's try this and see what happens?".

I don't think it would cost that much. I sent a model to France and the cost was less than 10€. I know Oz is a lot further away, but still not that far. Here is how I packaged it.
I put that in a carton box and it survived the trip without a schratch.
Don't worry about me. I just need an address to send it to.
Cheers!
Uros
Uros

Postby TheChronicOne » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:54 pm

Fantastic! That certainly looks secure and light weight to boot. Almost like designing an aircraft itself! Strong as it needs to be, no more, and light as possible without compromising integrity. :D

I had a thought or two about this today in fact as I was piddling around working on my 200.... (which, oh boy.. I've managed to convolute even further.. I'll get into that later). I have my 737-400 model that I can use as a dry run to come up with a rig. I can package, weigh, and get a price for shipping. Hell, it sounds kind of fun to be honest.... it's an interesting challenge.

Back in middle school I participated in one of those class projects where we were tasked with creating a thing to safe guard an egg as it was thrown from the third story. I won it handily! :lol: :lol: :lol: Everything was light weight, too!! Not that all of that would translate, but still...

But anyway... I've already had thoughts about lightening the cradle and have gone from wood to LEGO and LEGO aren't heavy at all so that's good. I can make a strong core, with padding, and cover all protrusions and such (held tight with the aforementioned rubber bands) and then just softly cocoon the whole thing in a box with "crumple zone lightly filled" areas that can "give" without actually causing damage whilst the subject remains solid and non-moving.
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby TheChronicOne » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:38 am

Oh hell yeah!!!! I tracked down the Fotocut gravel kit/air stairs!!!!! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) All I need now is to get the BRA.Z upgraded engine set then I'll have all I need for my 737 Advanced w/ gravel kit!!! :) :D :D :D :D :D

Not much of an update, but this is one that is defintely worthy. This build is going to have all kinds of neat stuff in it.
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby Ansett A330 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:02 pm

TheChronicOne wrote:Oh hell yeah!!!! I tracked down the Fotocut gravel kit/air stairs!!!!! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

OK spill the beans on how you managed to track one down?

TheChronicOne wrote:All I need now is to get the BRA.Z upgraded engine set then I'll have all I need for my 737 Advanced w/ gravel kit!!! :) :D :D :D :D :D

But the Braz engines don't "look" right and you still have to lengthen them.

Unless you want to lengthen either the Kit engines or the Braz engines what about getting a set of the AA engines?
Ansett A330

Postby TheChronicOne » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:48 pm

I definitely would like the AA engines in this case. I wasn't aware of them! A link or point in the right direction to where I would be able to purchase them if you have it handy. :) 8-)

The PE set... I know a gentleman who resides in the UK that has been building and collecting for over 50 years, feller by the name of Kit. "Pr-19kit". Paul probably knows him from the "what if modellers" forum we're both at. I kept ruminating and mentioning how I was wanting the set and he had a look and Eureka.. there it was... It'll be on its way across the Atlantic in a day or two! :P Goes to show that if you can't find it at a dedicated place that sells supplies, that asking around and seeking out individuals can net some positive results! :)

As far as the build goes, I have been working more on it. I've been getting the wings painted. The tailplanes are now finished and I'm working my way through the main wings. The corogard stuff is on, the boeing grey portions are on, the little odd colored patch outboard is on, and they have been matte cleared. Next up I will mask again to paint the NMF stuff. After that, I'll paint on the navigation and landing lights. I'll probably stop right there... I'm doing my best to make this a nice model but at the end of the day, I'm not very skilled and am just trying to reach the finish line. With the added workload of etch and upgraded engines and all that I have my hands full. There's probably all kinds of modifications to the actual kit itself that I need to do to make it correct but I'll either get to that or not at some point in the future. I realize I should have addressed this long ago but I hadn't really planned on doing any mods at all... it was only after I got into the build that I realized I was dealing with something other than a "plain" 737. Now that I've decided to add all this extra "stuff" it almost seems like I should stop, "go back", and do any other modifications necessary as well to the fuselage. I'll have to sleep on and think about this conundrum... :?:
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

PreviousNext

Return to Member's Works in Progress