Dornier 228 Finnish Border Guard

Show us what's on the bench

Re: Dornier 228 Finnish Border Guard

Postby TheChronicOne » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:03 pm

"The chop" "The extension" These are phrases I can totally get behind. Looking damn good to me so far..... keep going and don't slow down. 8-)
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby RayS » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:30 pm

Time for some boxing ...

Looks very agricultural at his stage before removing the excess plastic

After removing a lot of the excess plastic it was time to create new windows and fill those in the wrong locations.

I ended up popping the existing clear parts out so I could remove the windows that will be filled and relocate them to the new locations. I am still short a couple that I will have to make from CD case clear plastic
Ray

RayS

Postby TheChronicOne » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:57 pm

This is great........ taking notes. I dig the square rod! Going to have to pick some up.

I just remembered that I saw a Trislander build recently where the feller extended the fuselage and a couple other things. For interest:

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=46707.0

"Square fuselage" ....
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby RayS » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:23 pm

Cheers Brad,

Interesting Trislander build there it looks like it started out as two Twin Otter kits!
Ray

RayS

Postby TheChronicOne » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:10 pm

Right you are! I goofed up. I forgot how it started. :lol: Defintely has the Trislander look but not a Trislander. Memory gets hazy after awhile.
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby RayS » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:11 am

It is a great what-if anyway, wish I had thought of it :)
Ray

RayS

Postby RayS » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:52 pm

A little bit of sanding done (twice) on the Dornier with another round to follow

and with a guest correct length fuselage (thanks Scotty!) for comparison (what to do with a kit that does not need mods?). Got the length pretty much spot on with the stretched -100

and another test fit of wings and engines
Ray

RayS

Postby Ansett A330 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:54 pm

Absolutely amazing Raymundo.

This would be like making a Lincoln from a Lancaster if a Lincoln kit was available (come on Airfix you know you want to do it!).

I’m on the road at the moment (well was actually on a roof this morning!) but hopefully Graeme might be able to post a couple of (bad) photos I took of one of the Toll -200’s at EMD which show just how much anhedral the wings on one of these have. Couldn’t find a good head on shot that I know I have somewhere but the ones I sent should give you an idea as it looks quite massive in real life.
Ansett A330

Postby RayS » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:19 am

I have been putting this on off for a while as I had a few easier builds to go on with. Now they are nearing completion I decided to get this one back on track.

The main thing putting me off was making the search radar. I had been thinking about how I was going to make the shape up, initially I was going to use laminated plastic sheet then I recall picking up some green stuff some time ago. I dived into the supplies and found it. First I made base template out of sheet styrene and then mixed the 2 part putty together.  I shaped toteh roughly what is should look like and then left it to set. At this time I also made up the two SLAR antennas

Next the radome was sanded and filed down to refine the shape and SLAR also tidied up

A test fit showed the radome was too deep so I removed the base plate template

At this time I started to add the mounting fixtures for the SLAR and the turret that lives on one of the main landing gear sponsons

And then time to a test fit is the parts, the search radar radome received a couple of more sanding sessions to reduce the depth again as I thought it was still too lager

I was glad to find the kit included some of the antennas I was planning to scratch build so that will speed things up. I need to putty in the windscreen and maks off the clear parts in prep for priming soon.

That's all for now
Ray

RayS

Postby RayS » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:12 pm

A little more scratch building of the antennas and IR turret head fitted 

Ray

RayS

PreviousNext

Return to Member's Works in Progress