Dornier 228 Finnish Border Guard

Show us what's on the bench

Dornier 228 Finnish Border Guard

Postby RayS » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:54 pm

Here is a build for the Expo ACAM display, I started it about 18 months ago which at the time was going to be a What If or another nice scheme if I could find decals.

Then Caracal release this nice sheet

For this aircraft

So it was decided, this was the state of the build when rescued from the cupboard

Anyway I got some done on it today, but first a bit of a funny day for me today at work, the office power went out at about 11AM, about that time a bush fire sprang up about 1km from us (near the airport). We had very high winds and a dust storm at the time. After about 30 minutes the fire was running near us and we were told to head home, I could not believe all the rubberneckers who had come out of the woodwork to watch it as I was trying to get out of there. It ran towards the south east and fortunately the winds have dropped and it did not hit the suburbs. A recycling yard did go up though.

Anyway, that gave me a chance to get into this build.
I half though about trying to add some bubble observation windows but nipped that in the bud if I wanted to get it finished.

The fuselage was glued together and nose weight added, then I turned my attention to the engines.

The right one has had the intakes opened up, I also added an exhaust pipe to the back end. The engines were press fitted to the wing to see how they would look

and a test fit of the wing and tail plane to the fuselage, no glue yet.
I will get into the other engine next and then start to think about scratch building the additional lumps and bumps
Ray

RayS

Re: Dornier 228 Finnish Border Guard

Postby Uros » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:37 am

Nice one Ray! A model you don't see often.

Are the fires showing any signs of stoping?
Cheers!
Uros
Uros

Postby TheChronicOne » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:35 pm

Hell yeah... this is a not too oft seen livery and an entity not modelled a lot in any type of vehicles. I've seen some Border Patrol SUV's a time or two but things like this in aircraft are refreshing. Good luck!
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby RayS » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:42 pm

Thanks guys,

Uros, Well it seems when you think things are settling down, they flare up again. Earlier in the week (on Monday) we had a massive hail storm (golf ball sized and bigger) that damaged hundreds of cars and houses, then two fires flared up on our doorstep. We are in for more heat this week, so who knows. You just can't relax at the moment without the fires being in the back of your mind.
Last edited by RayS on Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ray

RayS

Postby RayS » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:20 am

Back to the build, the engines are assembled, I painted the interior black before closing them up. They still need a little tidy up

The flap actuator fairing were fitted

Tape removed and another test fit

Next will be to attend to seams and start at looking at adding the domes and turret and various antenna

I am heading to Adelaide for a week on Monday so I am not sure how much will be done prior. I might take the kit along and fettle some parts while over there.
Ray

RayS

Postby Graeme H » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:14 am

Ohhh, I like the scheme you have chosen, I missed that sheet entirely.
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby F-27pax » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:56 am

And I thought I was a sucker for punishment! What a pity it's such an ugly aeroplane (to me anyhow).
F-27pax

Postby Graeme H » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:37 pm

Interesting that the profile with the decal sheet doesn't show the radome that is very prominent in your photos, did it not have that earlier?
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby RayS » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:01 pm

Graeme H wrote:Interesting that the profile with the decal sheet doesn't show the radome that is very prominent in your photos, did it not have that earlier?

I think Kursad just used a generic profile on his decal sheet. I have not found any pictures of the aircraft in question without the additions.

It has also been brought to my attention that the aircraft in question is a -200 and the kit a -100, so out with the razor saw and card stock when I figure out how long the stretch is in 1/72
Ray

RayS

Postby 72linerlover » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:26 pm

Hi, Ray.

RayS wrote:so out with the razor saw and card stock when I figure out how long the stretch is in 1/72

Here you can find a pair links to line drawings of the 228, both -100 and -200. Not perfect, but they give you an idea.
You'll find out that the stretch is both for and aft the wing.

http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/Visschedijk/Additions/Dornier%20228_3-view.jpg
http://aviadejavu.ru/Images6/AN/AN87-10/26-3.jpg

I think the following link is the site to go. https://dornier228.ruag.com/en/dornier-228/aircraft-dornier-228

Bye
Eugenio
72linerlover

Next

Return to Member's Works in Progress