Fly DC-9 -DHL-

Show us what's on the bench

Fly DC-9 -DHL-

Postby TheChronicOne » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:50 pm

Desperately searching for an airliner build that isn't so tedious. I decided to try this one. The paint scheme seems pretty simple and the DC-9 isn't a huge aircraft so I'm hoping for a more relaxing build unlike the bothersome 737-268C, the plagued PSA Tristar, or other things such as dealing with filling in windows on ancient Airfix kits or having to use "extra" skills on such things as the ATR-72 by F-RSIN. (not that I don't love these things... It's just ever so often I'm not trying to run a marathon, I just want a stroll around the park)

Pretty neat looking little kit. The parts look good.

I've since done quite a bit of work. I got out of order a little bit, though, and had to go back and glue things onto the wings. I've since primed again and painted them the base color and done 85% of the masking for the anti-ice NMF.

Since then I've sanded the fuselage and got it in order and primed it. I MIGHT need to do some more sanding up top but I could get away with it as-is. We'll see.

I stopped and decided to take some notes and do some "dry run" exercises to get things straight in my mind and give myself a reference to use. I have trouble focusing a good deal of the time and I'm hoping that by doing this it'll serve to help me remember, and even if I forget something, I have these notes.

Also, I've gotten the engines together and sanded, primed, and painted them. I still need to mask and paint the exhaust area and get the fans/guts painted but the nacelles are well on their way.

So that's that!! Next round of work will be more masking and painting and we'll see what we get.....
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Re: Fly DC-9 -DHL-

Postby RayS » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:36 am

I know how you feel with some of these builds Brad, Nice scheme top go on with.

I have the Fly kit with local TAA (or Ansett) decals to build one day. good to see it goes together with little fuss.What colours are you using for the yellow and red? I went with some Humbrol colours for my DHL 767 which I really should get finished!
Ray

RayS

Postby Graeme H » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:40 pm

A fairly good kit, some errors that are not worth bothering with, but you can often get it cheap enough compared to the Eastern Express version, and at least you don't have to put in the crease lobe like the Airfix kit requires
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby F-27pax » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:23 am

Looking good. I was intrigued by one of your photos where you appear to have written yourself instructions about the paint job. Is that what that is? So you do it all the time and does it help. I rely on my memory and some times it lets me down, so I might try this kind of thing.
F-27pax

Postby TheChronicOne » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:14 pm

I'll snap a picture of the stuff I'm using but being a heretic I'm using rattle cans...... I've made it a priority in my model making efforts to learn and teach myself how to achieve acceptable results from them because of things like money and time constraints. It's been a slog but I'm starting to achieve some pretty decent results. I reference some of my recent completed or near completed builds. I know it'll never be as nice as airbrushing but I'm making a go of it.

The notes..... this is a new development. I have a bit of ADD and have problems focusing.... sometimes the problems focusing are VERY bothersome. I also have issues with anxiety and indecisiveness with a touch of OCD. There are times I become confused about the order I need to take to paint things or put things together. Then..... I'll get it all straight in my mind but perhaps I become confused again later in the day or even put the build down for a week or more so I'm trying the whole "write it down and it helps you remember through the simple act of doing it" thing and then it helps to re-read my notes again when it comes time to accomplish what I was taking notes about.
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby TheChronicOne » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:20 am

They call me "Mellow Yellow." :mrgreen:

So.... I painted the red onto the DC-9 then masked it over. I had to throw out the method I took notes about because I stupidly forgot about the bulges at the wing roots. Of course, a long straight piece of tape isn't going to go over this correctly and stay straight so I had to break things down into 1/3s. For, aft, and the middle area where the wing roots are then I just sort of freestyled it. GOOD THING IS...... I had a glorious panel line running down the whole thing that I was able to align my Tamiya tape with so the bulk of everything is certainly straight. Only thing I'm worried about are the two points where it tapers and curves at the nose and tail.

I then painted the yellow paint on. I'll unmask the red stuff after I let the yellow dry for at least an hour or more.

I'm taking a break for now and am playing some Mass Effect 3 but later I bet I find myself back watching Tele and when I do, i'll un-mask the red and then take a picture of that and my meager collection of "poor persons' stuff" paints and supplies I've used.
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby RayS » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:48 pm

Looks good Brad, the yellow looks a great match to the diagram.

Been watching my son playing the latest Jedi game while working on a couple of models these past few days.
Ray

RayS

Postby TheChronicOne » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:49 am

Sometimes watching others play is funner than actual playing! I'm playing a game right now that's a lot of dialogue and story telling... there's easily just as much of that as running around shooting stuff. It's like a Movie you play but you get to make choices and decided what things to say and how to react in conversations. Pretty neat, I imagine this is one that's probably funner to watch at times. Sometimes it gets tedious talking to admirals and news reporters and other characters with tons of things to say. :lol:

ANY HOW... Yeah, I dig this paint. It's touchy to gloss over it but otherwise it's nice and covers well when there aren't color variations beneath.

Red is same brand... we'll see it later I guess but it went on damn smooth and nice looking, too. Molotow Chrome Pens for the heated rings on the engin cowlings.
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby RayS » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:54 am

Thanks Brad, I have watched both of my boys play the Mass Effect games so I know what the game play is like.

Thanks for sharing the paint you use, not sure if it is available here in Australia. I will have to look around. I am always after a good paint for large area coverage.
Ray

RayS

Postby TheChronicOne » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:45 am

Cheers, Ray. I think I recall another of my 'Straya buds telling me it wasn't there but who knows. The power of the internet could help, too perhaps although I find it strange order spray paint in the mail. I've done it before, though!! I found a really nice NMF paint that comes in a rattle can and it's not bad at all.... Let me see if I can dig up some pictures of THAT stuff.

I was impressed and fits in to my building methodology. I'm going to be using it again soon to paint the lower half of my PSA Tristar.

As for this one... I'm finishing painting the wings and will get them cleared over. While they dry I'll look into decalling this bird. Won't be much after that because I'm not going to roll the dice on trying to gloss clear over the transfers because of the yellow paint. It'll be fine I'm sure. This brings me back around to the silver paint again... like this yellow, it doesn't like to be cleared and in fact it will utterly ruin it. It also can't be touched with bare hands. Finicky stuff. At least the yellow can be handled!

Couple other small things.. I need to paint the gear doors but at least they're primed already so it should only take about 20 minutes to get them painted and cleared and another 5 to install.

Long story short, this isn't far from being finished. It's nice to finally have an airliner that doesn't kick my ass and drag on forever... I needed the distraction.
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Next

Return to Member's Works in Progress