Fly DC-9 -DHL-

Show us what's on the bench

Re: Fly DC-9 -DHL-

Postby TheChronicOne » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:22 am

Stopped short of transfers. I got all the wing painting out of the way and cleared them then finished painting the engines. I also painted some detail stuff on the fin... hinges and APU intake. Tomorrow will be decalling time I guess.

Camera trickery. :mrgreen:
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby RayS » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:25 pm

Nice progress, I wish I could concentrate on one build long enough to finish it, you are flying through this one.
Ray

RayS

Postby hrtpaul » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:27 pm

:o :o :o :o very nice
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby TheChronicOne » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:18 pm

Cheers, Ray,.. Paul. :)

One of the motivations behind this one was to finally get into an airliner model that didn't kick my ass up and down the street and take FOREVER to build. This has wound up being that.

I've had more free time lately, too, in the dead of winter as a landscaper, so that helps but the fact is the kit being nice and the paint job being simples (and me having the colors on hand already) has made this one a breeze relatively.

That said, I've ran into my first real hiccup. The transfers are mighty delicate. I tested a little number thing I knew I wouldn't need but the results were non conclusive so I put the wing walks on and they worked out great but when I put the "DHL" on the side things started to go bad. I stopped at that point and applied Microsol Decal Fix to it all and decided to call it a day. That said, I also put the windscreen on and took a pic:

Going to be severely snowed in tomorrow so I'm definitely planning to get back to this one. I'll have to trim out all the transfers extra tight but they should hold together nicely now and allow me to finish decalling.
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby TheChronicOne » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:22 pm

Decalling this has been a nightmare! Took 45 minutes alone to put the "DHL" thing on the starboard side. Transfers didn't want to come off the backing paper at all and I had to walk the line between wrenching them off and tearing them up both of which occured. I managed to get things back together but it took forever and I kept having to patch things.

Looks like just getting the transfers on will take no less than 3 days but we're on our way! I think all the most difficult ones are accounted for now.

Getting these lines straight on the nose was a pain me arse. :mrgreen:

I took a liberty underneath on the back. This was supposed to be like the front but I decided I'd rather not blow 2 hours making it work so I did this and let it ride.

I've since managed to get ONE more decal on, the main door frame and it took about 45 minutes and I'll have to touch it up still. I gave up at this point. I'll get back to it tomorrow.
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby Graeme H » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:22 pm

Great pity the decals are giving so much trouble, it is certainly looking good
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby RayS » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:10 am

Glad to see you persevered Brad. I had same sort of issues with my 767 build and the decals. Needless to say another set of decals were obtained and a repaint was started.
Ray

RayS

Postby TheChronicOne » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:29 am

It was rough right up to the end. I finished the transfers. Some were ..... "off" I had to modify the stuff on the tail and the anti-glare patch was WAY off and I had to remove it, cut it up, put it back, then fill in the missing spots. Decided not to mess with the resin stuff aside from the main antenna.

Finished build and rest of pics here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2868

-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby RayS » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:39 am

Nice!
Ray

RayS

Previous

Return to Member's Works in Progress