Airfix Herc Conversion

Show us what's on the bench

Airfix Herc Conversion

Postby VH-WAL » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:57 am

A project that was a germ of an idea 40 years ago when I was an ATC at Nadzab Papua New Guinea. Tranamerica operated out of there for a few months hauling mining equipment up into the Highlands , I was quite taken with the scheme and hankered to make a model of it. Two years ago I bought an original Airfix kit complete with Bloodhound and 11 months ago I started the conversion. I sourced an old built model wreck that was the source for the fore and aft fuselage plugs that were needed to stretch the model. Bit of filling and sanding (a bit! jeez heaps!) masking and decal design and production was required, Construction was completed today, I just have to dirty her up a little and of course finish the stand.. I took just one pic before the battery went flat.

VH-WAL

Re: Airfix Herc Conversion

Postby RayS » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:27 am

Looks great Wally, love a C-130 in any scheme.

I must learn to make my own decals!
Ray

RayS

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:31 pm

Very nice Wally. Great scheme as well :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Ansett A330 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:12 pm

Another Stunning Model from Wally.

Wish I had the T,T, and T to have a go at doing one of these. Certainly have procrastinated over having a go since reading the story about stretching the RAF Hercules in an Aircraft Annual (1986 or 7 I think it was).
Ansett A330

Postby VH-WAL » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:56 pm

Ansett A330 wrote:Another Stunning Model from Wally.

Wish I had the T,T, and T to have a go at doing one of these. Certainly have procrastinated over having a go since reading the story about stretching the RAF Hercules in an Aircraft Annual (1986 or 7 I think it was).

Hiya! tahnks mate.. I'll bite..what does T T and T standfor?
VH-WAL

Postby Ansett A330 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:52 am

VH-WAL wrote:Hiya! tahnks mate.. I'll bite..what does T T and T standfor?

Ha ha ha ha ha! Yes “T”’s could stand for lots of things I suppose (including “things” funnily enough) but in the context of the wonderful world of Scale Modelling alphabetically it would have to be :

Talent

Temperament

And of course

Time!

And by the way how come you didn’t yell out when you were over here in Queensland?
Ansett A330

Postby VH-WAL » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:50 am

Ansett A330 wrote:
VH-WAL wrote:Hiya! tahnks mate.. I'll bite..what does T T and T standfor?

Ha ha ha ha ha! Yes “T”’s could stand for lots of things I suppose (including “things” funnily enough) but in the context of the wonderful world of Scale Modelling alphabetically it would have to be :

Talent

Temperament

And of course

Time!

And by the way how come you didn’t yell out when you were over here in Queensland?

Covid was breaking out in NSW, we made a snap decision to flee the East for home before they locked us out.. we were 24 hours too late, the y cancelled our entry permit as we were approaching Ceduna and had to spend 2 weeks in South Australia before we were let in, cheers wal
VH-WAL

Return to Member's Works in Progress