Me and Frank...that 1/72 Carvair

Show us what's on the bench

Re: Me and Frank...that 1/72 Carvair

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:53 pm

You're a better man than I 'Doc' :P
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby VH-WAL » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:11 pm

It may not look like progress on Frank the Carvair but it is... I need the bench space for the next bit of workk so I had to clear the production floor decalling the Strat.. I had to print some window decals for it so I printed of some Porter decals for Knotty, seen hanging to dry after clear coating

VH-WAL

Postby Nillus » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:18 pm

How much for the wonderful painting in the background?

I've seen Pollock's Blue Poles, and you're right up there Doc.

Melbournes National Art Gallery will be all over this.

Seriously...that Pan Am tail really brings back glorious memories for me as a kid going to Tulla and seeing the 707's there.
Nice work.
Nillus

Postby Knotty » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:59 am

It's coming along nicely Wally , I like the painting in the back ground to , but those decals look great .......thanks very much Wally for doing them ........a Snowy porter will be on its way !!!
Knotty

Postby VH-WAL » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:02 pm

you are right guys, it is time for a new canvas, I may cut up that one in smaller bits so that you can all share the masterpiece, it is not just colour either, it has texture as well and probably a bit of biological material ... (steady on I just meant a bit of blood, from hobby knife inflicted wounds!)
VH-WAL

Postby VH-WAL » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:13 pm

Ok, I cleared the bench of the Stratocruiser and after a few brain machinations came up with a plan to build an assembly jig.
The Aim is this:
Make a nicely faired wing to fuselage join, that is strong, "square" to fuselage longitudinal and lateral axes (izzat plural of axis?) with the correct angle of incidence.
Now a really "nice to have" feature would be be to have a demountable wing for easy storage / shipment should I ever take it anywhere (say to Melbourne) that might be harder to pull off.
But at least I really want to have perfect fit so I can remove the wing, finish and paint the fuselage and wings separately and fasten together seamlessly at final construction.. I have a few ideas that will be tested out

VH-WAL

Postby VH-WAL » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:36 pm

It's still good, it's still good!

or am I in denial?
VH-WAL

Postby Knotty » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:13 pm

It's still good Wally , still looks like a Carvair :o :o keep going .........you'll be right !!!! .........I think ......Maybe !! ;) ;)
Knotty

Postby VH-WAL » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:49 pm

Right, well having a detachable wing isn't going to happen, so I have to get the wing finished ship shape and bristol fashion and at least primed before I epoxy it to the fuselage on the jig.
The picture shows the work in progress wing in the correct position relative to the fuselage having first filled the empty fuselage centre -section and wing centresection with balsa which was then shaped to fit and provide plenty of gluing surface area with remaining gaps filled with milliput.
It is all very solid and I will be able to muscle in filler at the join and make a nice fairing.
I thought I had lost the patient there for a while but Frank is now out of intensive care.

I love it when a project reaches the point where you can see the plane taking shape, at this stage one can't help oneself and admire the development, thrill at the likelihood of success and fuel the enthusiasm
VH-WAL

Postby VH-WAL » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:42 am

As we approach the mating of wings to fuselage ceremony I shot Frank with primer to check the seams and all the filling and patchwork I've had to do.
The Red Roo DC-4 Conversion set on the wings look really good (engines / cowlings / long carby intake fairing), very pleased with the fuselage seams just a few shallow blemishes which I hope to fix with a thick, brush applied dob of Mr Surfacer then wet sanded back.
VH-WAL

PreviousNext

Return to Member's Works in Progress