DHC-6/7 Quad Otter (or "Quotter" as it has been termed!)

Show us what's on the bench

Re: DHC-6/7 Quad Otter (or "Quotter" as it has been termed!)

Postby RayS » Sat May 28, 2022 9:37 am

Wow, what engineering, I see a lot of sanding n your future Rob! :-)
Ray

RayS

Postby Ansett A330 » Sat May 28, 2022 11:28 am

Uros wrote:I love this! Keep it up.

Thanks Uros.

No where near as lovely as your Twotter (and Fisherman and Fish!) but just a bit of fun albeit a fair bit rough to get the "mojo" back.
Ansett A330

Postby Ansett A330 » Sat May 28, 2022 11:30 am

RayS wrote:Wow, what engineering, I see a lot of sanding n your future Rob! :-)

A bit like making a Do228-200 out of a Do228-100 eh Ray?

Yes SANDING being the operative word of the new norm future.
Ansett A330

Postby Ansett A330 » Sat May 28, 2022 8:14 pm

Like that line out of "Lord of the Rings" - "And so it begins ..." ... SANDING that is and not Battle.

But before that I had to solve the issue of not having enough components for the third and fourth Engines.

Basically all I had for them was the Prop/Intake Faces and the Upper Wings which are a little distance from where the Prop/Intake Faces are.

So out came the Packets of Tube and a suitably sized diameter of Tube fitted both the Prop circle and the Intake "circle" however obviously they intersect so one had to be sliced longitudinally on a Chord of the Circular cross section. So that solved the gap back to the Wing. I should have mentioned that I called these "third and fourth Engines" when in fact they now have to be the first and second Engines as these ones have to house the Undercarriage. So from the "double bubble" Tubes to under the Wings I had to build a "Box" structure to house the Undercarriage. Of course this had to be bogged up for later sanding shaping and of course filling gaps which is really what Filler is for and not sculpting strange shapes.

Now I can say "AND SO IT BEGINS" ... "Sand, Sand, Sand, Sand, etc" replacing "Bog" in the Traditional Song.

Fuselage looking a bit "Rounder" :

Still pretty rough though :

Other side :

And even the Wings are starting to look "Aerodynamic" :

That's about it for now.

The next step on the Fuselage will be to Prime it and do more sanding to determine where the "Whoops" are and try to make it look like a bought one. While the "First and Second" Engines and Undercarriage Bays have a lot more bogging and shaping before they can match up to their respective positions on the Wings.
Ansett A330

Postby Ansett A330 » Sun May 29, 2022 3:25 pm

OK well did do some work on what are now the first and second engines and after hacking off the inner and outer Upper Wings to which they were mounted on I used the outer parts of the Upper Wings to make the Horizontal plane of the "T" Tail by symmetrically gluing them together after already cutting out the Elevators from the second set of Tail Planes and gluing them together with a centre piece. Unfortunately I was having so much fun that I neglected to take photos! So maybe it didn't happen ... or did it?

Well maybe that urge to make flying noises and swoops reared it's ugly head or maybe I just wanted to see what the thing was going to look like so out came the Race/Duct Tape and some of these bits and pieces were slapped together to see exactly what this was going to look like thus :

Even Jock was so interested to have a look he hadn't even time to change out of his PJs :

Now the hard work starts to take it all apart and continue to fix up all of the roughness.

(And I didn't even get to make any aircraft noises or swooping!)
Ansett A330

Postby Ansett A330 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:08 pm

Very slow progress fixing up some of the roughness, figuring out how to set up the undercarriage, shaping the “T” Tail and Elevator, and shaping the wing box to the Fuselage and Wings so no photos to show.

In between doing these things I found this :

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/inde ... win-otter/

Tempted to join and reply to the “Quad Otter” Post by saying :

“That’s not a Quad Otter - THIS is a QUAD OTTER!”.
Ansett A330

Postby Ansett A330 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:16 pm

Two week extension given on this GB and I'd like to think I'd have a shot a finishing this in two weeks but I have to go away next week down to the big smoke for some more Tests so doubt that I will be able to.

As a small update just trying to smooth out some of the roughness and also repair the damage done by the bloody Race/Duct Tape and it's adhesive on some of the surfaces. I should have thought that given the concentration of Filler over Styrene there might have been a reaction should another strong adhesive be introduced but then again (as usual) I just didn't think.

Also just dug out a Hobbycraft Dash 8 and my was I surprised how big this thing is in comparison to the Dash 8-100! It's remarkably close in size. Makes me want to put this in a line up of otter, Twin Otter, Quad Otter, Dash 7, Dash 8, Caribou, and Buffalo but that's a hell of a lot of modelling and at my rate of production maybe completed by the time I'm 342. Or then again maybe started but never completed ...
Ansett A330

Postby Ansett A330 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:34 pm

Sticking to that old adage of "Photos or it never happened ..." :

Fuselage :

Wings :

Very surprising. Especially the size of the Dash 8 Fin. And here I was I thought the Quotter Fin may have been a bit overdone. Probably not based on this comparison but then again let's just put it down to the power of the two Turboprops on the Dash 8 compared with the power of the four on the Quotter.
Ansett A330

Postby Ansett A330 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:36 pm

Quotter
PT6A-27 460 kW / 620shp = 920 kW / 1240 shp per side.

Dash8-100
2 × PW123C/D 1,800 hp (1,300 kW) = 1300 kW / 1800 hp per side.

Yep that would do it. Proportionally (70.8 percent - just remember the Rudder is not on the Quotter but is on the Dash 8-100) I think I got it right and well it was sized off the Concept Drawings too so double check there.
Ansett A330

Postby Ansett A330 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:39 pm

Just noticed two (Post Script : well maybe only one when lining up the Windows on the Model) of the windows on the Starboard Side near the Trailing Edge are out of alignment. Oh well too late to fix that up now without a major operation so I didn't notice it did you? What are you talking about? Huh? Look over there - a Puppy!

Ansett A330

PreviousNext

Return to Member's Works in Progress