Airfix Vulcan

Show us what's on the bench

Airfix Vulcan

Postby VH-WAL » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:01 pm

Bought this in the UK last year after seeing the Vulcan display, started it ages ago but the fit wasn't good had to scribe the bloody thing. Did all the stuff I never do, preshade, postshade lighter hues, futured, dirt washed, etc etc etc so it was all a bit of a learning experience for me.

I am having trouble with the damn stand, I rigged it to attach to the blue steel missile but it need mre playing with. Tomorrow I'll put on the pitots blade antennas and the refuelling prob then hit the whole shebang with some semi gloss clear and tone down that shine.
VH-WAL

Re: Airfix Vulcan

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:00 pm

That looks great Wally :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby tor lives » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:27 pm

Really very impressive Wal!!!
I remember the first time I saw a Vulcan (RAAF Base Amberley in the early 80s).......just friggen awesome :shock:
Shame she is not in Falklands era colours though.....you could have added her to Paul's Falklands thread.
TOR
tor lives

Postby VH-WAL » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:42 pm

tor lives wrote:Shame she is not in Falklands era colours though.....you could have added her to Paul's Falklands thread.
TOR

Too dark Ray, I like my models contrasty and bright, that's why I went with the early camo scheme with white bottom and the Medium Sea Grey on top..

I'll be glad to get this one off the bench and shelved on it's stand, I need the bench space to mask off the black and white areas of Frank (black for alclad, white for the top and under the decals)

I wrestled with the Airfix stand and engineered a more robust mounting structure, it just needs dressing up and painting
VH-WAL

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:14 am

Very cool Wal - very cool indeed to see a Airfix model on its stand too. It really shows just how beautiful these aeroplanes must appear in flight - as you have seen ya lucky sod! It's really refreshing to see a model displayed this way.
Cool indeed to see you experimenting with pre & post shade techniques. I'm certainly a fan of post shading/filtering to show fading, wear & tear, grime and stains. Don't forget all those fuel & hydraulic stains underneath. Ever tried this? It's so easy. I use artist oils for fuel/hydraulic oil stains - just washing them back from a potential leaking point/source. Mix the artist oil paint with thinners until you have the right consistency (very thin). Use a small brush to wash back. Let partially dry then use a cotton bud very lightly soaked in thinners to "thin" out the stain for the right effect. Of course when using this technique, you must have a good coat of acrylic clear down first, so you don't effect your lovely paintwork. Hydraulic oil is a mix of raw umber and yellow.

I am kinda biased, I like my aeroplanes good n dirty!

Adam the Akrodude

Postby tor lives » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:39 pm

Adam the Akrodude wrote: I am kinda biased, I like my aeroplanes good n dirty!

To each their own I guess.
I came from a world of VIP and Head-of-State aircraft....we didn't do "dirty" :D
I like my jets immaculate, shiny, and clean!!!, (although I do love your A-1 Spad....it somehow just looks right all "gunged" up)
TOR
PS: Wal...she looks great "in flight', but how the hell did you mange to get something the size, (and weight) of a 1:72 Vulcan to safely sit on a flimsy and fragile Airfix stand??? :shock:
tor lives

Postby VH-WAL » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:07 pm

Hi Adam,
The bottom on my model is a little dirtied up but not as bad as those shots... I don't like it that way however authentico it may have been.

Tor,

The Airfix stand has about 3 ounces of lead under the base, the stand arm is double braced with sheet plastic either side of the arm. This double bracing extends passed the top of the stand and enabled me to super glue a brass extension to the top of the stand which goes well into the Blue Steel which is also very securely superglued into it's recess. Should survive indoor storms and post nuclear blasts
VH-WAL

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:51 pm

tor lives wrote:
Adam the Akrodude wrote: I am kinda biased, I like my aeroplanes good n dirty!

To each their own I guess.
I came from a world of VIP and Head-of-State aircraft....we didn't do "dirty" :D
I like my jets immaculate, shiny, and clean!!!, (although I do love your A-1 Spad....it somehow just looks right all "gunged" up)
TOR
PS: Wal...she looks great "in flight', but how the hell did you mange to get something the size, (and weight) of a 1:72 Vulcan to safely sit on a flimsy and fragile Airfix stand??? :shock:

It's a bit like comparing our offices/work areas - yours professional, functional, tidy - mine a absolute disaster area - a bit like post cyclone, earthquake and follow up tsunami! Ask Damo, he's seen it :oops: I'm a messy worker and like my aeroplanes messy too! How will I be able to build sparling clean and polished racers?? :roll:

Re, the SPAD - loosing up to 5-6 US gallons of oil per hour, will do that to an aeroplane, hence it's nickname the "Self Lubricating Aeroplane"! :D

Wally as always being the "Plastic Surgeon" that he is, has once again done a masterful job. The genius is in that display stand!
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Wedgetail » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:11 pm

Very nicely done Wally, as mentioned they are something special when in flight. I still remember the one that flew only a few hundred feet or so over our house in Canberra back in the early eighties.
Thought I was going bonkers and had to walk back inside the house to check just how much red I had really had to drink. Nice to see you still dabbling with military stuff as well.
Cheers, Wayne
Wedgetail

Return to Member's Works in Progress