1/72 Italeri F-104 Starfighter- WIP

Show us what's on the bench

1/72 Italeri F-104 Starfighter- WIP

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:18 pm

Greetings. This is the 1/72 Italeri F-104 I've had on the go for a while done OOB with a Master metal pitot tube. It's not a bad for an older kit but the fit does leave a bit to be desired with a bit of filler required. This boxing comes in a civvie scheme that is rather attractive. It'll be in this scheme once I'm done.................hopefully

So far it's in Tamiya white primer with One Go over the top. I thought I'd give Eric's idea a go and I'm pretty happy with it. It's way more shiny than in the pics 8-)

I have to paint the blue but I'm not sure if I should put the stripe decals on first and then paint down to them. I reckon this'll be the safest way so that the paint and decals are together. On the arse end I'll be using Alclad (probably polished Aluminium) once again with the fore and aft parts of the NMF area overcoated with Alclad Hotmetal Sepia. Hopefully it works. I aim to have this one done when I'm home after this trip to TSV :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Re: 1/72 Italeri F-104 Starfighter- WIP

Postby Graeme H » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:37 pm

Oh very nice civilian scheme, looking forward to seeing her finished

That is the ESCI kit originally from the '80's and re released by Italeri, and pretty good kit even by todays standards
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby hrtpaul » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:19 pm

Not much of an update. I got the "Starfighters" and stripe decals on to day as I want to mask around them to get the blue to match up with the decals. Then it came to a screaming halt. The colour blue that is called out (an Italeri aka Valljo colour) that I have is WAAAAAAAAY too bright to match the decals. So what to do. Looks like I'm buying another of these kits so I can use the decals to colour match. Lucky I have some rather nice Icarus Decals that I can make a Greek AF F-104G with the spare kit like this one Image

Here she is so far :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby hrtpaul » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:21 am

I'm tipping the bloody Italians didn't actually build this kit before they released it cos that blue may as well yellow it's that far from matching the blue on the decals :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: So now the laborious task of finding the matching blue and painting scrap model the different colours to find the closet colour. I've bought another kit to sacrifice the decals in the name of colour matching. Ahhhh the joys of modelling :) :) :)
hrtpaul

Postby VH-WAL » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:39 pm

hrtpaul wrote:I'm tipping the bloody Italians didn't actually build this kit before they released it cos that blue may as well yellow it's that far from matching the blue on the decals :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: So now the laborious task of finding the matching blue and painting scrap model the different colours to find the closet colour. I've bought another kit to sacrifice the decals in the name of colour matching. Ahhhh the joys of modelling :) :) :)

Been there done that etc...trying to match my own decals, a tip, get an old cd dob a few dobs of blue and white and mix em up a bit at a time until you are close then try adding a bit of other colours to adjust yeah red yellow whatever, try and keep a note of your mixes, it is so easy to waste three pots of paint messing around with colour matching how do I know? I have a few bottles of a turquoise and another few of lilac I will never use! Ps Blue goes along way add it a bit at time otherwise you will use up heaps of white.
VH-WAL

Return to Member's Works in Progress