Virgin 737-800

Show us what's on the bench

Re: Virgin 737-800

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:08 am

Oh Great Yoda!

Dual instruction I need! The white you laid down first - airbrush or rattle can? If airbrush, what kind of paint? Same with the red as you sprayed it over the white. Details on techniques I am interested in.

BTW - you are famous! Both you and Eric feature in the latest Model Art magazine with pic's of your entries at Expo - you with the Lear and Eric with his Flying Pancake thing. Bravo!

Cheers

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Graeme H » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:34 am

Well I'm kinda glad I didn't get one of these, did think about it though, you are doing a really great job on her, going to be very impressive when finished
safety tip, you must wear eye protection with the winglets
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby RayS » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:15 pm

Nice work Knotty,

I have 3 versions of this kit and have started the Wedgetail.

Did you bother cutting out the cockpit windows for the supplied clear parts? I have and it has not turned out very good. I am considering filling the windows and using the supplied decal. My fuselage is in 3 parts at the moment as my cockpit/nose wheel well assembly came loose.

I think I need to invest in some epoxy! What type do you use?
Ray

RayS

Postby Knotty » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:19 pm

Got some of the decals on today , I must say that it looks alright . Nothing like the real thing of course , as they are faded very badly . It's not perfect , but considering all the dramas I have had with it , it is coming out ok . ;) just need to put some more windows on this side , plus some other details and it's on to the other side .

image.jpg
image.jpg (108.08 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
Last edited by Knotty on Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knotty

Postby Knotty » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:23 pm

[quote="Adam the Akrodude"]Oh Great Yoda!

Dual instruction I need! The white you laid down first - airbrush or rattle can? If airbrush, what kind of paint? Same with the red as you sprayed it over the white. Details on techniques I am interested in.

G,day Adam , nothing special just Tamiya undercoat white out of the spray can , then Testors Italian Red out of the air brush . Both were sanded down lightly before and after each coat . Then some good old Future on top of every thing .

Cheers

Knotty.
Knotty

Postby Knotty » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:09 pm

34DAF900 wrote:Nice work Knotty,

Did you bother cutting out the cockpit windows for the supplied clear parts? I have and it has not turned out very good. I am considering filling the windows and using the supplied decal. My fuselage is in 3 parts at the moment as my cockpit/nose wheel well assembly came loose.

G,day Ray , I didn't bother cutting them out , as you really need to fill the inside of the fuse with epoxy . I couldn't see a way around it ..........keeping the windows clear with the epoxy up front . I used Parfix epoxy from Bunnings , around $5.00 a pack . Make sure you get the Maxi strength one . The cure time is a lot longer . The 5 minute stuff goes off to quick , you need the extra time to work the epoxy in and around the fuse . I hear ya re the nose gear assembly ..........this is why you need to epoxy EVERYTHING inside the fuse . Try and line the whole inside of the fuse , as this gives the side walls some strength to .
Knotty

Postby RayS » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:53 am

Knotty wrote:
34DAF900 wrote:Nice work Knotty,

G,day Ray , I didn't bother cutting them out , as you really need to fill the inside of the fuse with epoxy . I couldn't see a way around it ..........keeping the windows clear with the epoxy up front . I used Parfix epoxy from Bunnings , around $5.00 a pack . Make sure you get the Maxi strength one . The cure time is a lot longer . The 5 minute stuff goes off to quick , you need the extra time to work the epoxy in and around the fuse . I hear ya re the nose gear assembly ..........this is why you need to epoxy EVERYTHING inside the fuse . Try and line the whole inside of the fuse , as this gives the side walls some strength to .

Thanks Knotty, Looks like I am filling the clear bits and hitting it with epoxy.

Might get mine back on the bench.
Ray

RayS

Previous

Return to Member's Works in Progress