Virgin 737-800

Show us what's on the bench

Virgin 737-800

Postby Knotty » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:54 am

Welsh Models 1/72 scale kit . It has taken about 6 weeks to get it to this stage , it will be in the red Virgin scheme .
Considering the price of these kits ( around $200 ) it has been a nightmare to build , you fix one thing , only to discover another ten things now need attention !!! But that's modelling I guess .!! I will be happy to get this one off the bench .......the end is within sight ;) ;)

image.jpg
image.jpg (56.35 KiB) Viewed 4089 times
Knotty

Re: Virgin 737-800

Postby hrtpaul » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:10 pm

Wow 's impressive. I bet it's a big bit of gear. Looking forward to seeing this one finished :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:27 pm

Looks great Knotty! Any tips you can pass on would be more than welcome...got the BBJ in the stash. It's going to be a -700 in the 50th Aicraft scheme.
Where'd you source the decals?
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby Knotty » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:48 pm

hrtpaul wrote:Wow 's impressive. I bet it's a big bit of gear. Looking forward to seeing this one finished :)

Yeah it's a big bugger Paul , luckily it's got white metal landing gear . Bitch of a kit !! .
Knotty

Postby Knotty » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:16 pm

Cap'n Wannabe wrote:Looks great Knotty! Any tips you can pass on would be more than welcome...got the BBJ in the stash. It's going to be a -700 in the 50th Aicraft scheme.
Where'd you source the decals?

G,day Damo , tips !! ............ Where do we start ?

1- you will need lots of epoxy , to hold every thing together . The whole fuse needs to be covered in epoxy on the inside . If you don't do this ,every time you touch it ........the sides will cave in . The plastic is very thin ,and needs all the strength you can give it to survive the hours of sanding and bogging that you will be doing :roll: :roll:
I know this because it took 6 weeks just to get it to the painting stage :o :o

-2 the bulk heads need to be notched out at each end . This allows the epoxy to run down the seams and hold the whole thing together . One good thing about the kit is that the fuse comes in 2 sections . This allows you to fill the fuse with epoxy ,before joining the two together .

3- you will need lots of super glue . Everything apart from the fuse is resin . ;)

4- some brass wire to pin everything together , winglets , wings , stabs , and engines .

5- some big ass clamps to hold the fuse and wings together . The internal bulk heads need to line up as close as possible to the front and rear of the wing .

6- lots and lots of putty . I use blade putty from Super cheap auto .

7- some Evergreen plastic strips , for inside the fuse , and also to strengthen the stab attachment points on the inside .

The key with these kits is to plan ahead . Think about what you may have to do as it progress's . Once the fuse is closed up ,it's to late . :o

I have some decals here Damo , everything you need apart from the 50 th logo . You will also need to paint the red strip around the engines . I' m sure we can work some thing out with the decals .

Might pay to come around for a coffee one day , it's a lot easier to explain things in the flesh . I'm in Keilor , so not far from your place :D :D

Hope this helps

Knotty
Knotty

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:01 pm

Jeebus, that sounds scary! :o
Coffee sounds like a plan, Knotty...I'll have to rustle up some spare time - possibly when the kids are away for the holidays in a couple of weeks..
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby Knotty » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:05 pm

Cap'n Wannabe wrote:Jeebus, that sounds scary! :o
Coffee sounds like a plan, Knotty...I'll have to rustle up some spare time - possibly when the kids are away for the holidays in a couple of weeks..

No worries Damo , sounds like a plan .
Knotty

Postby tor lives » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:55 am

Geez Knotty......she is coming up a treat mate. It's a shame Stu is not still on site cause I am sure he would be particularly interested in this one given the colour scheme you have planned for her.
Big really is beautiful.
TOR
tor lives

Postby Knotty » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:25 am

Thanks Ray , Stu would of been interested in this one , right up his alley so to speak . I still don't understand why he left , he loves his models and his aeroplanes . Probably flat out with the new safety role . Anyway life goes on I suppose .
You have seen how much work has gone into this kit , finally getting some where with it now !!
Last edited by Knotty on Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knotty

Postby Knotty » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:41 am

Got some paint on it yesterday . Today I will sand it back lightly , polish it , and then put some Future on it ready for the decals .

image.jpg
image.jpg (69.62 KiB) Viewed 4065 times
Knotty

Next

Return to Member's Works in Progress