DesTROYers English Electric Canberra Mk20

Show us what's on the bench

Re: DesTROYers English Electric Canberra Mk20

Postby tor lives » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:27 pm

DesTROYer wrote:Thanks Ray, and thanks for again for the kit and letting me show my non civil work here.

Anytime mate....it's a pleasure and a privilege to have your builds on my site. I really appreciate your contributions.
TOR
tor lives

Postby DesTROYer » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:30 pm

Assembled the master bucks for my Revetment walls this evening. I now need to got Barnes and get some more Pinkysil and easy cast so I can make more copies.

This frame is not deep enough, so I'll hit the second hand stores or Bunnings this weekend and see what I can do.

DesTROYer

Postby hrtpaul » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:54 pm

Once again you shit me :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby DesTROYer » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:58 pm

hrtpaul wrote:Once again you shit me :)

Well go wash your hands, build a bridge and get over it. lol
DesTROYer

Postby tor lives » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:16 pm

Looking bloody good Troy!!!
Have you seen this book.....it gives a pretty good account of RAAF Canberra ops in Vietnam.

TOR
tor lives

Postby DesTROYer » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:37 am

No I haven't Ray, but I see I am going to have to find a copy.

If I don't ask and go with my head, someone is going to pop in later and tell me I've done it wrong, So I'm asking. The revetment walls at Phan Rang Airbase, were they painted or left natural? In the photos I see color variations, not only from panel to panel, but within the panels on individual Armco rails. I can't tell however if they are left natural and just manufacturing difference in the metal which happens even now still today, they were pre painted before installation, or they were re painted after repairs. What are your thoughts learned scholars?
DesTROYer

Postby DesTROYer » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:18 pm

I've made some more progress, even though due to the warm weather I did stuff up a $40 mould. but after a trip into Richmond this morning to pick up a new batch of silicone, I made a new one this morning and cast 3 and a 1/2 wall sections before running out of easycast. I'll have to wait until next pay though to get more.

The back wall is complete, the side walls need to continue out another 5 sections. The wall on the left is temporary using the master to show how it will look.

The base will be just over 60 x 60 cm's when done, so it's big. I have no idea where I'm going to put it.
DesTROYer

Postby hrtpaul » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:57 pm

Way cool mate :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:38 am

This build is getting more and more impressive by the day! You've grown it from being a aircraft build (impressive in it's own right) into a story and this has made this project of yours so interesting. Very impressed by all the scratch building.

Will we see this at Expo? I hope so!

All the best

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Nicolas_Fantich » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:45 pm

DesTROYer wrote:The revetment walls at Phan Rang Airbase, were they painted or left natural? In the photos I see color variations, not only from panel to panel, but within the panels on individual Armco rails. I can't tell however if they are left natural and just manufacturing difference in the metal which happens even now still today, they were pre painted before installation, or they were re painted after repairs. What are your thoughts learned scholars?

Troy,

My first comment is that I am really impressed with your approach to this build. The casting isn't too bad is it, once you get the hang of 'simple' components ? I love what you've achieved !

Next to the revetments.

I saw some (local/modern) revetments recently and they alternated in red/orange-white panels. What I would suggest is to see if you can find colour images of USAF aircraft in their revetments at the same base in the same time period. That would give you a much better idea of how they were actually painted. I have no idea if USAF/US Army Engineers constructed those which RAAF Canberras used, or the Australians built their own. If the materials were all shipped in by the US military, then we probably got any colour we wanted, as long at it was the same as theirs ;)

Furthermore, you can cut yourself some slack and consider whether any repairs were done to these revetments. Some panels could be unpainted and bare steel ? Some could be dented ? Anything reasonable goes. Just have a 'side story' ready.

You go young man !
Nicolas

On the Bench
1/144 Academy Douglas DC-6B - Adria Airways YU-AFF
1/48 Revell North American P-51D Mustang 'Miss America'
1/72 Airfix North American P-51D (Cavalier) Mustang N51RH
1/72 Airfix North American P-51D Mustang N64CL 'Miss Van Nuys'
Nicolas_Fantich

PreviousNext

Return to Member's Works in Progress