DesTROYers English Electric Canberra Mk20

Show us what's on the bench

DesTROYers English Electric Canberra Mk20

Postby DesTROYer » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:05 pm

I woke up this morning fully intending to start on my next project, a VF-1 Hi-Viz schemed Tomcat, but as I got into the office and started to clear the bench to cut some fresh sprue, I decided instead to add another bomber to my fleet. A few months back I picked up two Canberras off TOR, one Airfix and the other a Classic Airframes. I heard that though a better result can be obtained from the C.A. kit, it can be a chore to get right, so I decided to go with the Airfix this time. TOR had included some aftermarket resin in the sale, namely the bomb bay and wing tip bombs, but after looking at the bomb bay, I decided i could get a much better result out of the kit bomb bay with the addition of some sprue and three pieces of the resin parts from the aftermarket kit. Take resin bomb bay was warped, full of bubbles and had so much excess casting on it, My belt sander would need replacing by the end of it. Don't get me wrong. I gave it ago and got a could coating of resin dust on me, but I just knew it was going to be more work than it was worth.

So I added some pipes, bomb racks and extra detail to the side rails.

And after adding some flat black, its already looking much better than the resin one. I'll paint up the bomb racks, pipes and wire as I go to the next phase.

Cockpit was next. Not much to show here yet as its all black. But that will make the detail 'pop' more through that big bubble canopy I think.

Assembled the wings next. Even though you can pose the flaps down and the air breaks open, all the photos I have seen with the Canberras on the ground have the flaps, ailerons and breaks were up or closed. so thats how I have set them.

After dinner, I'll probably pop back in and do some more work on the cockpit, but it's moving along much faster than I expected.
DesTROYer

Re: DesTROYers English Electric Canberra Mk20

Postby tor lives » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:45 pm

Love what I am seeing here Troy. Sorry the resin bomb bay is not up to scratch, but hopeful some of the AM stuff will be of use to you. I can't wait to see what magic you weave with this kit and I am glad it has gone to someone who will actually build it, and do it justice.
TOR
tor lives

Postby DesTROYer » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:56 pm

All good mate. Not your fault. A better modler than I could make it work, but to my eye the extra work involved would not have been worth the end result.
DesTROYer

Postby DesTROYer » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:05 pm

Cockpit and bomb bay painted an installed, two halves of fuselage joined and wings attached. I'll start on the seams in the next day or two, but for now I'm done as my mate Jim Beam is calling.

DesTROYer

Postby hrtpaul » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:53 pm

Looking great young fella :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby DesTROYer » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:14 pm

It's been a while since the last update. I've just returned from a few days in the ACT at the Australian War Memorial. Got back into the workshop today and finally the Canberra is in undercoat.

One of the two books I brought back from my AWM trip was "Magpies in Vietnam. 'Canberra Bomber operations in Vietnam and the recovery of a lost crew thirty-nine years later'" So in tribute to Magpie 91's crew, Mike Herbert and Bob Carver, I will be doing this Canberra as A84-231.

I've since been informed that despite information provided on the HPM decal information sheet, the bomb bays in the canberra were all aluminium and not matt black. However looking further into this, I have found this picture of a Canberra in Vietnam and the side walls are certainly black, though the ceiling, front and back walls do seem to be aluminium or at least grey.
DesTROYer

Postby tor lives » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:33 pm

She is looking really good Troy. Between you and Wally we are enjoying a veritable Canberra feast!!
TOR
tor lives

Postby DesTROYer » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:41 pm

Tuesday night I got home from work after blowing up the HPM paint diagrams to 1/48 scale on the work copier and set about masking up the Canberra.

The masking went well, however the spraying, not so much. In many areas it went on fine, but in others it went on a bit heavy/wet and in others it chalked up when dry.

On top of that, the colour conversion chart i used to go from the Humbrel colours listed to lifecolor, weren't right and the paint was too light. Thanks to some advice from AGW, I looked up the colours I used on my Mirage and set about repainting it this evening.
Its still doing here, so excuse the patchiness of the olive drab.

I then set about starting on the detail works, before calling it a night.

Including starting to repaint the bomb bay. Thanks Aardvark.
DesTROYer

Postby tor lives » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:47 pm

Really starting to look the business Troy. The bomb bay and wheel wells look really good!!!
TOR
tor lives

Postby DesTROYer » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:15 pm

Thanks Ray. More detail work done tonight.

Using Aardvarks posted photos as reference as well as some other photos from "Lincoln, Canberra and F-111 in Australian Service", I've started adding the missing window, external lights and aerials to detail the model. Some shapes may not be quite right, but they are pretty close I think.

Is the red light fore or aft out of the two on the tail?

Landing light on the wing.

Painted on observation window and relocated aerials. I need to fix that gap on the nose canopy and the sink mark from the relocated aerial.

Landing gear attached, however the main wheels are a bit shonky with the fit. I don't know if they will last.

Bomb bay and landing gear doors will go on tomorrow. Need to make up this red and white striped aerial.

And this second red and white blade on the same bomb bay door.

A good shot of one of our Canberra's in Vietnam.
DesTROYer

Next

Return to Member's Works in Progress