Refurb: Old Airfix 1:72 A-4 Skyhawk

Show us what's on the bench

Refurb: Old Airfix 1:72 A-4 Skyhawk

Postby tor lives » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:39 pm

Hi guys,
This is one of the many refurbs that I have at underway at the moment. It is the little, old original Airfix 1:72 A-4 Skyhawk.
Believe it or not this is one of the very first kits I "built" as a small kid. Like all my childhood model aircraft kits, I have kept it for many decades in deep, dark, storage in the hope that one day I would have the time and skill to re-build it.
So here is the progress so far:
She was pulled out of storage, caustic soda-bathed, and broken down to her basic components.

Parts were ordered from the excellent Airfix spare parts service, including new horizontal stabs, canopy, undercarriage doors, and jugs. Can you believe they still had parts available from the original kit. Some parts however have come from the current excellent Airfix 1:72 A-4 kit.

Some substantial internal structural work was done

Here she is essentially back in one piece, (including the addition of the external rudder "ribs" that were not present on the original kit), and waiting for some bog and sanding.

She has since been bogged and sanded to within an inch of her life and has had the first layers of Mr Surfacer applied which has highlighted a few little areas that will require some further attention.

Ohhh, and if you are wondering what she hopefully turn out to be...
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Douglas- ... ea1d943fd3
TOR
PS: Come on.....you didn't really think it was going to be military did you :D
tor lives

Re: Refurb: Old Airfix 1:72 A-4 Skyhawk

Postby hrtpaul » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:42 pm

I can't believe they had plastic back when you are a kid :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Seriously though that's coming along nicely mate :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Knotty » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:20 pm

Looks good Ray , it's coming along nicely. I like the scheme you have chosen for her to , something different!!
Knotty

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:57 pm

Amazing work there Ray. This is the plastic modelling equivalent of pulling old WW2 aircraft out of lakes and from under the sea and refurbishing them. In your case the "barnacle's and sea weed" is old glue and paint! I want to see one of these finished for Expo with before and after pic's alongside. Anyone can build "shake n bake" - this is pure modelling.
Adam the Akrodude

Return to Member's Works in Progress