Contrails 1:72 "Strega"

Show us what's on the bench

Contrails 1:72 "Strega"

Postby tor lives » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:50 pm

"Strega" along with "Voodoo"," Red Baron", "Miss America", "Precious Metal", "Galloping Ghost", and "Daygo Red" are perhaps some of the most awesome racing Mustangs ever built, (or rebuilt as the case may be), and are/where perennial favourites at Reno.
I really want a line-up of these incredible and colourful speed machines in my collection so I purchased the Contrails 1:72 Strega kit a little while ago, and I must say that it is quiet simply the WORST resin kit I have ever dealt with, (even more horrible than the dreaded and ghastly Gremlin 1:72 Cessna 404 :shock: ). Even the instruction sheet sucked and was indeed unreadable. This is surprising as the Contrails range is generally pretty dam good.
Most of the kit is simply unusable, so to have any chance of successfully building it at all, I had to buy current-issue Airfix 1:72 Mustang, (which by the way is a great kit!!), and use it as a donor kit to replace the many unusable resin parts from the Contrails kit. This has given me at least some chance of finishing the "Straga" kit to a reasonable standard. So here is where I am at right now....I did some work on her today while waiting for "Mr Surfacer" to dry on my Airfix 1:72 A-4 refurb project.

Here is the Contrails kit as received:

And here she is with the donor parts from the Airfix kit, (this was the same kit that your prop came from Damo)

As can be seen, the whole nose had to be replaced because of huge air bubble holes in the substandard resin. I couldn't even use the supplied pewter prop and spinner because of significant pitting in the casting.
Hopefully she will turn out at least half presentable.
TOR
PS: it also has one of those horrible vac-form canopies that I have to somehow cut and match to the model....not looking forward to that :? .
PPS: and here she is in the flesh.....did I mention she is ex-RAAF!!!
http://www.airliners.net/photo/North-Am ... a7ce75066b
tor lives

Re: Contrails 1:72 "Strega"

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:09 pm

Looks a very interesting project. We'll all be watching this progress with great interest. This little one does look a great lead in trainer for tackling your larger 1/32 man scale racers! :D

Reminds me - better start hooking into my projects after my break :roll:
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Graeme H » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:41 pm

Now, over the years, I've seen and collected some real schockers of kits :shock:

How did that Country song go

"I'd a wrote you a letter, but I couldn't spell Yeeuch"

or the Bulgarian guy in the movie Taken "good luck"
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:29 pm

Bloody hell mate. Good luck with that mission :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby oz rb fan » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:51 pm

officially following now...i have one to do as well 8-)
oz rb fan

Postby tor lives » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:28 pm

Just a little bit of an update on "Strega".
In an effort to blend the Airfix parts into the Contrails kit, she has been bogged to within an inch of her life!!! :?

The under-fuselage intake area is an absolute bitch of a task. The Contrails parts for this area are unusable and the transplanted Airfix parts slightly oversized. I will do the best I can with the magic of Milliput.
I have contacted Contrails yesterday and they are sending me an updated clear resin canopy for this kit...cause the supplied vac form one is simply unusable.
Certainly some sanding to be done when the Milliput dries.
TOR
tor lives

Postby hrtpaul » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:48 pm

A bit more bog mate and you'll have yourself an Airfix DH88 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I've never used milliput though I do have some. Must give it a crack on the next DH88 I do. Strega is coming along nicely and I do like what you're doing with her :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Return to Member's Works in Progress