1/72 Civvie Airfix Spitfire Mk IXc

Show us what's on the bench

1/72 Civvie Airfix Spitfire Mk IXc

Postby hrtpaul » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:12 pm

Hi peeps. Bear with me. I got the following kit on the way. It's the AZ Model Spitfire Mk IXc in civil service.

Unfortunately Redroo were out of stock so I got a Spitfire Tr9 from them instead. Being my usual self I wanted to do all the schemes in the kit. So I'll do the kit in the top pic. The top scheme in the second pic I'll get another AZ Model kit that way I'll know the big fuse stripe should fit. The second scheme on the second pic is the one I'll be doing using this Airfix kit

The last scheme on the second pic I want to do in 1/48. I've wanted to check out the Eduard Spitfire kit for a while so I'll get one some time in the future. For this I might have to call on the resident decals guru's :)

Anyways onto the Airfix kit. It's an older tool kit with recessed panel lines and basic detail. It's certainly not up to the standards of their later kits but still looks ok. Interior detail is rather bare but I don't reckon you'll see much through the thickish closed canopy anyway. I'll be building this OOB I think except for seatbelts and clipping the wingtips. I've started this while the Frog Hornet has it's coat of primer drying up here in TSV. I'd like to have this built and ready for paint by the time I leave for home in 3 weeks time :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Re: 1/72 Civvie Airfix Spitfire Mk IXc

Postby Graeme H » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:38 am

I do like them all, my favourite would be the blue Canadian one
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby tor lives » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:10 am

I love the top aircraft G-ASJV ......sort of reminds me of this
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Australi ... 9810e1fd8b

TOR
tor lives

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:51 am

What sensational schemes!

Note to self. Get loads of money somehow, purchase one of those Mk.26 Spitty 90% kits, fit with the big engine and paint in that white/blue stripe and silver underside scheme! Ah, it least it costs nothing to dream a little!

Good luck with this one Paul.

Cheers

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:21 pm

Hey peeps. A lot of progress on this one. I'm almost at the second priming stage after filling a few areas. This kit doesn't go together too badly I must say. I've cut the wingtips off and modified the cannon as per the pics above. I kinda like the look of a clipped wing Spit. Looks tougher rather than elegant like the original wingtips. I have a few more gaps to finish off and then it'll get primed again. I hope to have it in primer Thursday. If all goes well I'll pop down to Toyworld and get a Tamiya silver spray can of some sort. Possibly Silver Leaf but depends what I can get hold of. If I can get the silver on I'd be stoked, cos I should be able to finish it totally in my first week home in 11 sleeps time. Here she is at the moment :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:09 pm

Quick update. This thing is done as far as it's going to be before I leave TSV for home on Saturday. I sprayed it with Tamiya TS-30 Silver leaf over it and it's come up ok. There's a few defects but I can live with them. Hopefully I'll have this one done by the end of my first week at home :)
hrtpaul

Postby Graeme H » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:16 am

Wow, that is shiny, do love it, is the blue stripe a decal?
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:10 am

Ta mate. No I'll mask and paint it as it's easy to do :)
hrtpaul

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:37 pm

A quick update. The blue was painted and a coat of One Go. Decals tomorrow and hopefully done by the end of the week :)
hrtpaul

Postby RayS » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:30 am

Now that is nice paintwork there Paul. I am sure it will be a stunner when done.
Ray

RayS

Next

Return to Member's Works in Progress