Revell B767-3JHF DHL

Show us what's on the bench

Re: Revell B767-3JHF DHL

Postby RayS » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:34 pm

Ray,

I had issues with the paint work and screwed some of the deals so I am considering getting another set and stripping it.

Decals go down well. They are thin and settle down nicely. I had issue when laying down tape over them to do touch ups. Not the best idea for any decal I suppose. I have gotten away with it before.

There are colour recommendations on the instruction sheet:

Humbrol #69 for the yellow
Revell #31 for the red

I could not get any Revell red so I just used a Humbrol red #60 which is flat rather than gloss
Ray

RayS

Postby tor lives » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:39 pm

RayS wrote:Ray,

I had issues with the paint work and screwed some of the deals so I am considering getting another set and stripping it.

Decals go down well. They are thin and settle down nicely. I had issue when laying down tape over them to do touch ups. Not the best idea for any decal I suppose. I have gotten away with it before.

There are colour recommendations on the instruction sheet:

Humbrol #69 for the yellow
Revell #31 for the red

I could not get any Revell red so I just used a Humbrol red #60 which is flat rather than gloss

Thanks for that info Ray....very helpful indeed.
You should absolutely give the 767 another crack....she was coming along nicely.
In addition to our current unofficial Concorde and A-10 mini group-builds....we could now have a DHL mini group-build :D
It would be great to see your DHL 767 and my DHL 757 sitting together at next year's Model Expo :D .
TOR
tor lives

Postby kfutter » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:53 pm

tor lives wrote:Hey Ray,
I have just ordered the appropriate Draw Decals sheet, and I am now deciding which kit I will use .....that Minicraft debacle :? , or the ancient Masterkit offering, (which, although old and basic, seems to have captured the 757 shape a little better the Minicraft kit, and comes with an engine-type choice).
TOR

Whatever you do, don't use the Masterkit offering Ray - it's not 1/144, and aftermarket decals probably won't fit it. That's obviously dependent on the nature of the livery, of course. Rumour has it that this kit was mastered by copying the Welsh Models kit, which was done by filling the fuselage with something to form a solid master for a new fuselage. This means the Masterkit fuselage will fit inside the Welsh Models one, making it seriously underscale.

I have one, and plan to do it in-fight using the surprisingly nice kit decals.

As you note, the Minicraft kit is a debacle, but probably still a better starting point if you don't have the Welsh kit.

Kev
kfutter

Postby tor lives » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:09 pm

kfutter wrote:
tor lives wrote:Hey Ray,
I have just ordered the appropriate Draw Decals sheet, and I am now deciding which kit I will use .....that Minicraft debacle :? , or the ancient Masterkit offering, (which, although old and basic, seems to have captured the 757 shape a little better the Minicraft kit, and comes with an engine-type choice).
TOR

Whatever you do, don't use the Masterkit offering Ray - it's not 1/144, and aftermarket decals probably won't fit it. That's obviously dependent on the nature of the livery, of course. Rumour has it that this kit was mastered by copying the Welsh Models kit, which was done by filling the fuselage with something to form a solid master for a new fuselage. This means the Masterkit fuselage will fit inside the Welsh Models one, making it seriously underscale.

I have one, and plan to do it in-fight using the surprisingly nice kit decals.

As you note, the Minicraft kit is a debacle, but probably still a better starting point if you don't have the Welsh kit.

Kev

Good advice Kev......on comparing the two kits, the Masterkit offering is notably smaller than the Minicraft kit. I used to have the old Leoman resin 1:144th 757 kit in the stash, which was quiet acceptable all things considered, but I got rid of it at a "swap & sell" some time ago.
You do make a good point in that all AM 757 decals have probably been designed to fit the Minicraft kit. So the Minicraft kit it is (Groooooooan :? ).
TOR
tor lives

Postby Graeme H » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:03 pm

Getting way of topic, but

If you don't want to spend the big bucks on the Authentic Airliners kit at 59.00 € ($91.40 AUD) + post
A much better option is to use the Welsh Kit

http://www.welshmodels.co.uk/SL177.html

not cheap at £33 ($68.90 AUD) + post
or see if Densil will sell you just the fuselage
and use the Minicrap kit for the rest

or if you like, I have the Braz correction for the Minicrap kit, but the TSV MEL courier has gone for his month off (you just can't get reliable slaves these days)
It is OK, I still feel that it doesn't capture the nose correctly, and you will need to put the nose and tail on slightly off to correct the centre fuselage having the wings at different heights, so the fuselage needs to be rotated slightly.
would $18 be OK?, and if the courier is amenable freight would be very reasonable, you would just have to be patient and wait 2 months.
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby tor lives » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:41 pm

Graeme H wrote:Getting way of topic, but

If you don't want to spend the big bucks on the Authentic Airliners kit at 59.00 € ($91.40 AUD) + post
A much better option is to use the Welsh Kit

http://www.welshmodels.co.uk/SL177.html

not cheap at £33 ($68.90 AUD) + post
or see if Densil will sell you just the fuselage
and use the Minicrap kit for the rest

or if you like, I have the Braz correction for the Minicrap kit, but the TSV MEL courier has gone for his month off (you just can't get reliable slaves these days)
It is OK, I still feel that it doesn't capture the nose correctly, and you will need to put the nose and tail on slightly off to correct the centre fuselage having the wings at different heights, so the fuselage needs to be rotated slightly.
would $18 be OK?, and if the courier is amenable freight would be very reasonable, you would just have to be patient and wait 2 months.

Thanks anyway Graeme, but I think I will just build the 757 out-of-box and "as is".....despite all it's issues.
TOR
tor lives

Postby RayS » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:00 pm

Well after 3 years break, this one is back on my 'I'm interested' pile.

I sourced replacement decals late last year and I attached the paintwork with some wet and dry.

Sometime in the last 3 years the wings got a repaint

and the horizontal stabs survived

So time to reprime the fuselage and continue painting the wings.
Ray

RayS

Postby Graeme H » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:45 pm

Good to see this come out of the Boneyard
Graeme
Graeme H

Previous

Return to Member's Works in Progress