Revell B767-3JHF DHL

Show us what's on the bench

Revell B767-3JHF DHL

Postby RayS » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:34 pm

So last weekend our club had a weekend Blitz build where we complete a model or models in around 48 hours.

So I had this great idea to build an airliner wheels up, I figured I could get something finished in a weekend.

So I chose the Revell B767 kit and a nice set of decals from Draw Decal.

I got off to a flying start filling the windows and getting the main assemblies together. Well, that was all the smooth sailing I had. After that, I was plagued with seams popping, paint not drying and the winglet that would not keep its shape. Needless to say, I did not get ti finished.

So last night a stripped the troublesome paint and thought I would give it a less rushed attempt.

After stripping some of the filler for the windows reacted with the oven cleaner I used to strip it. So more filler was applied. I am paying attention to some of the seams that were not cooperative as well.

The pain in the a*** winglet was also removed.

I was happy with the other so it stayed put

Again the stripper reacted with some of the putty so it has been reapplied.

Next were the engines, there were no issues with them, but after looking at some reference pictures on Airlines.net I noticed some details I could add, like some fences and a protruding bit at the bottom of the nacelle.

So after a bit of a less hectic evening, it is ready for some more. sanding and prepping for paint (after the winglet is fitted that is).

I hope to plod along with this one and if the paint behaves may have it ready for decalling sometime by the end next weekend.

If you are on Facebook then here was the story of the weekend and my build....

Link
Last edited by RayS on Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ray

RayS

Re: Revell B767-3JHF DHL

Postby Tony P » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:10 pm

Yes quick builds never go that quick. Looks good Ray. The 767s look good with the winglets. Who makes the winglets?

We should do a Blitz build on Acam. Start on a Friday night and post progress through the weekend. Sound like a plan TOR?
You don’t concentrate on risks. You concentrate on results. No risk is too great to prevent the necessary job from getting done- Chuck Yeager.
Tony P

Postby hrtpaul » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:44 am

Looks good so far Ray and I like the scheme. I'd be crap at a blitz build cos I'm way too OCD which slows me down LOL
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby RayS » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:00 am

Tony P wrote:Yes quick builds never go that quick. Looks good Ray. The 767s look good with the winglets. Who makes the winglets?

We should do a Blitz build on Acam. Start on a Friday night and post progress through the weekend. Sound like a plan TOR?

Yes it does, this is the picture that inspired the build: G-DHLF

I got a set of metal winglets from Richard Warcup in the UK, but instead of using them I made some out of card using his as templates. Had issues with the plastic ones holding their shape but have sorted that now (I think!)
Ray

RayS

Postby Graeme H » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:13 am

hrtpaul wrote:Looks good so far Ray and I like the scheme. I'd be crap at a blitz build cos I'm way too OCD which slows me down LOL

You're blitzing a whole lot more than me
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby hrtpaul » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:05 am

I "blitz" very slowly hahahahahaha
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby tor lives » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:38 pm

The big ol 767 is coming along nicely Ray.....and your chosen colour scheme is very striking!!!!
Tony....I like the idea but, these days I consider it a blitz build if I finish one model a year.
TOR
tor lives

Postby Tony P » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:47 pm

Fair enough. In the same boat. Might of been a catalyst to try and do one in a weekend with everyone else.
You don’t concentrate on risks. You concentrate on results. No risk is too great to prevent the necessary job from getting done- Chuck Yeager.
Tony P

Postby RayS » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:17 pm

Fuselage painted, touch ups to commence
Last edited by RayS on Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray

RayS

Postby RayS » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:45 pm

I have been slowly sorting this one out. Had a lot of issues with the winglets and faring them in. It is done now.

So that has let me get on with the painting. I switched to Humbrol acrylics which have caused me no end of issues.

The only part of the blitz build section I could salvage was the stabs

The wings are mostly painted and awaiting the leading edges and corogard section to be masked

The subcomponents ion formation for a picture (no glue was harmed to get this picture)

The engines need their final masking for the metallic bits as well.
Last edited by RayS on Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray

RayS

Next

Return to Member's Works in Progress