1/72 Airfix F.27 Friendship VH-TFE

Show us what's on the bench

1/72 Airfix F.27 Friendship VH-TFE

Postby hrtpaul » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:53 pm

Hi peeps. Well this is the latest starter on the bench. I'm hoping to turn this

Into this (Dec 1974 scheme)

Firstly I'd like to acknowledge Wally for his big contribution to this project supplying not only the kit, but also the amazing custom decals. Thanks sooooooo much Wally for your help on something that is rather dear to me. VH-TFE is a Fokker F.27-1002. It went through many operators and was finally scrapped in 1996 :cry: 1 such operator was DCA (Dept of Civil Aviation) This aircraft has special significance for me as 40 years ago on the 25th Dec 1974 Cyclone Tracy smashed the crap outta Darwin. I was only 1 yr 4 mths old at the time and our house was totalled like the rest of Darwin. On the 27th Dec my late Mum and I, along with 37 other people were evacuated to Alice Springs on this very aircraft. It was crewed by Val Trevethan, Pete De Rouffignac and John Laming of the Department of Civil Aviation Flying Unit. I don't remember the trip at all due to my age, but as last Xmas was the 40th anniversary of Tracy, it still haunts me to this day. I hadn't really thought too much about how we got out of Darwin until recently. It's a bit hard to ask Mum (RIP) but my Dad has given me quite a bit of info. He doesn't know how Mum and I got to Adelaide while he stayed in Darwin to help with running the vital airport. I normally don't really build stuff because of a story behind it but more cos I just like the subject. I guess this one is just a tad personal to me. I'm gonna take my time with this one as I want to do the best job I can on it. In saying that, I don't want it to drag on for eons either. The kit of choice (haha as if there's a choice :roll: )is the 1960 mould from AIrfix. Oh my how things have changed for the better. It's an OOB build with a few inclusions. The previously mentions WallyDecs decals, scribing the panel lines, white metal main gear and a few corrections that I'm still trying to get my head around. As Wally's decals have decals for pax windows I'll paint the windscreen black as well that way it all matches. Oh and I can't screw up the interior either :lol: I gotta say for a 1/72 model it's rather big. Hope it fits in the cabinet ;) ;) ;) Anyways I'd better get this started. Cheers :)

P.S. Any tips you guys have for building this beast would be greatly appreciated :)
Last edited by hrtpaul on Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Re: 1/72 Airfix F.27 Friendship VH-TFE

Postby hrtpaul » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:41 pm

Hi peeps. This is the first build update. I got cracking on this one and I'm enjoying it so far. The fit. What can I say but it's no Tamiygawa kit :o Not surprising really given it's age. So far I've got the cargo and pax doors in with a little shimming to get them flush with the rest of the fuse. I've also got the nose halves attached to the fuse halves and man are they a crap fit. To prevent it being a tail sitter I've added bulkheads to contain the lead shot from shotgun shells. I've recently discovered that the shot in some shotgun shells is rather small and perfect for adding nose weight. Being a lot smaller that split shot sinkers you can fit more in the same space and hence more weight 8-) I have taped the fuse halves together and bloody hell the nose shape is TERRIBLE. You'll see what I mean in the pics. Once the fuse is closed up I see a lot of filling and sanding in my future :cry: :cry: :cry: Anyways here it is so far :)

Nose bulkheads and lead shot

This is the shot I'm using. The toothpick gives you an idea of scale

Windows in

And check out the fit and shape of that nose (and the cargo door)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby RayS » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:38 pm

Nice start,

I would be sanding more than filling that nose Paul. I have one of these started and I took a fair bit of plastic off the nose to give it a more pointed look. On your top view basically continue the fuselage contour where it hits the nose piece. That should give you a better shape.
Ray

RayS

Postby hrtpaul » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:05 am

Exactly what I was going to do. Great minds huh Ray :) Lucky the plastic is very thick in that area. Now to dig out the angle grinder LOL
hrtpaul

Postby RayS » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:36 am

hrtpaul wrote:Exactly what I was going to do. Great minds huh Ray :) Lucky the plastic is very thick in that area. Now to dig out the angle grinder LOL

As I recall I hit mine with a bastard file, before and after composite of how it turned out.

Mine has been like this for about 18 months I think...

I used humbrol silver to check seams and when I masked and sprayed the wings the paint lifted when masking was removed. I will get back to it one day. Will most likely have to strip the wings.
Ray

RayS

Postby hrtpaul » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:21 pm

Looks very nice so far Ray. I hear what you say about using a file on the nose. I only have the L/H side of the nose to file and the nose will be done bar some filling. This is the first time I've ever used a file on a model :lol: :lol: :lol:

R/H side almost correct shape, L/H side still to be hacked with a file

I'm really getting a lot done on this thing. The fuse is together which I'm happy about. I had to cut half of the fin cap off and reattach it further aft as the rudder was sticking out past it. I filled the gap with sheet styrene. Much better now. The rudder is just on temporarily at this stage. It needs the trim tab filled, rescribed and trim actuator fairings added.

The kit comes with just 1 cooling scoop on the L/H rear fuse but there should be one on the R/H side as well. A hunt through the spares box provided some Hobbycraft 1/48 Sea Fury wing pylons that should do the trick. I cut 1 up, added some scrap styrene and voila 1 scoop. It's not quite finished yet but I like it. Unfortunately it looks way better than the original kit one so I'm gonna have to remove it and make another scoop in it's place.

New scoop and Sea Fury pylon

The original L/H side scoop

Now 1 of the things that sticks out like dogs nuts for me is the very small dorsal fin in front of the vertical stab. According to a few sources it should be twice as high whilst retaining the kit length. I laminated a couple of bits of sheet styrene together and once dry I started hacking. It's just taped to the model at the moment as I wanted your opinions as to if it's the right size. Checking a few pics around the place it looks like it might be too high. Then I look at it and it looks ok. What do you guys reckon?

Prototype dorsal fin

This is probably the most "scratch building" (if you can call it that :? ) that I've ever done. I'm actually rather enjoying it. I'm certainly not an anal retentive rivet counter by any stretch of the imagination but I'm having fun with a few corrections. 1 thing I'd like to try an do is the bulbous fairings behind the elevators cos they're a bit prominent on the F-27. This is what I mean
There's 1 one each side of the tail. I have to get them both the same otherwise it'll look odd. If I can't get them the same I won't worry about them. I'm thinking they might be a little beyond my limits at this stage. Not a biggy :) Anyways I'd better get back and scribe the shit outta this beast and fill some pax windows :)
Last edited by hrtpaul on Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
hrtpaul

Postby RayS » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:45 pm

That is really nice correction work Paul, see scratch building isn't that hard!

I have the Hamilton Hobbies correction set under all that paint on mine which includes all the bits you are making.

The nose is looking good, might have to drag mine out of Victorville and prep it for decals....
Ray

RayS

Postby hrtpaul » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:33 am

Ya right Ray. Scratch building isn't hard. It's getting it to look remotely like what's in your head that can be the hard bit. Get yours out and get it done mate :) Oh I forgot to mention I redid the nose weight installation. By doing this I have somewhere for the nose gear to go while I carve up the nose and the rest of the build without it getting busted off. I just hope the nose gear is strong enough LOL

Before
After

I've also got rid of the windscreen posts in the cockpit as they weren't required. Now where's my bigger file? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
hrtpaul

Postby RayS » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:06 am

Guess what Paul, I did just that last night... thanks a lot :D

I had another look at mine and rubbed back the offending areas and have reprimed the whole thing. Time to gloss up the fuselage and start some masking (again).

Mine will be in early Ansett NSW markings as I recall, got to find the decals sheet now.
Ray

RayS

Postby hrtpaul » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:30 pm

Great to here Ray. Don't forget pics mate :)

Another update. This thing is cruising along a lot faster than I thought and I'm really enjoying it. I've stuck the dorsal fin extension on and filled it.

Filled

I've read a in few places that the wing to fuse join isn't overly strong. So I thought I'd add a spar just in case. A length of nice 1/8" spring steel should do the trick. It extends 120mm into each wing so I don't think there'll be any sagging or breakage with that sucker 8-)

Wings just sitting on

I've spent a bit of time (OK quite a lot) rescribing panel lines. The wings, nacelles and horizontal stabs are done. Just the fuse to go but I'm not looking forward to it. I'm also in the process of modifying the U/C mounting points for the white metal U/C as it won't fit where the stock U/C fits.

Having made the missing cooling scoop for the R/H side of the fuse I couldn't leave the original crappy one on the L/H side. So I cut the bugger off and filled the hole. This one is currently a WIP

Well that's it for another day :D :D :D :D
hrtpaul

Next

Return to Member's Works in Progress