Mirages

Show us what's on the bench

Mirages

Postby Graeme H » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:00 am

Well Antoney has AMI covered, so I thought I would post mine here as well as on the French Fancy Group Build on Britmodeler

I decided to build one of the 2 seaters I have in the stash, now rather strangely for me, but my reasoning was that I hadn't built a model for a couple of years, I decided to follow the instructions, BIG MISTAKE, what was I thinking.
The build would have you clearly use the spine for the single seater, which I did, it was only when I did a test fit of the nose I knew something was way off.
Luckily for me, I have a few spare single seaters, so started one of those as well, and put the 2 seater spine on it, and I was off again.

Now I like to have my Elevons drooped as the real thing did, but the inboard part is a trimmer, and Ray S tells me they don't droop, so leave that bit alone, this is not quite as simple as it sounds, one needs to cut the elevons, between them and the trimmer, then score quite deeply, and to make matters a little more difficult the outer part is part of the upper wing and the inner part is both the upper and lower wing, "Life wasn't meant to be Easy" as Malcolm would say.

from the top

and the bottom

and of course those pesky fairing have to to be cut and adjusted as well

and of course I have to build the single seater as well, so mire to follow
Graeme
Graeme H

Re: Mirages

Postby hrtpaul » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:14 pm

Looking good so far mate. I'll be watching this with great interest as I have a number of RAAF Miracles a swell as a few Argy ones to do :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Graeme H » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:08 pm

One if the downsides to the HPM kit is the way underscale 1300L tanks, and I really wanted a pair of jugs for the 2 seater, SO...
I needed to fatten them up, I covered them in plastic strip, and used superglue, my reasoning being superglue sets quicker, I did achieve a result that matched the plans in the Mirage Bible, but blimey what an effort.

Then needed to make broader tail fins, so a bit of plastic card was cut to shape and added

Then the kit endplates and pylon added

Just need to finish the other one, and paint them
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby hrtpaul » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:35 pm

Great work on the tanks mate. If ya wanted 1700L tanks HPM do a nice set as well as the RPK tanks :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby RayS » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:04 pm

Nice work Graeme, tanks look good.

I afraid this litre crap was no used when these aircraft were in service, 274 and 386 Gallon tanks they were :D
Ray

RayS

Postby Graeme H » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:46 am

Thanks Ray, so I assume the supersonic tanks were just called supers?, how many Imperial gallons did they hold?

Now I understand the 386 gal (1700L) tanks were not fitted that much, and they had an outward lean to miss the undercarriage doors, is that correct?
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby VH-WAL » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:52 am

Holy Crap! Clinker built fuel tanks! Brilliant! No I am wrong its Carvel... no then again maybe it Cooper construction..well done anyway!
VH-WAL

Postby RayS » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:25 am

Graeme H wrote:Thanks Ray, so I assume the supersonic tanks were just called supers?, how many Imperial gallons did they hold?

Now I understand the 386 gal (1700L) tanks were not fitted that much, and they had an outward lean to miss the undercarriage doors, is that correct?

Yep Supers were 110 Gallons.

Wouldn't know about the 386 Gal tanks, they were fitted as required. Usually fitted for Townsville/Darwin pushes and Fleet Support tasks. You may be right about the outward lean. I do recall one time when a 274 and 386 tank were fitted to opposite wings on the same aircraft. The only way to notice was be the different tank circumferences. Fortunately the discrepancy was noticed before fueling them and flying the aircraft.
Ray

RayS

Postby Graeme H » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:48 pm

OK a bad light photo of one if the tanks with the plans, looks OK to me but what do I know

Went searing for a lost Roodecal sheet, and found this in one if the HPM kit boxes (yeah I have a few)

as it's to a very similar stage as the other two, will finish it as well

So got some paint on the 2 seater and the Hanger Queen, the 2 seater has the French supersonic tanks, as I cant find the lost pylons to do the Israeli tanks, so will have to scratch build them maybe, then again maybe not

so flipped over for a family portrait

Graeme
Graeme H

Postby DesTROYer » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:11 pm

I'm watching with interest.
DesTROYer

Next

Return to Member's Works in Progress