That HS125

Show us what's on the bench

Re: That HS125

Postby oz rb fan » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:13 am

yup i could except them.
oz rb fan

Postby Graeme H » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:41 am

hrtpaul wrote:Well there ya go. That'll learn me for not asking what you're upto before opening my trap :)

Actually Paul as I say I really can't commit at this stage, so thanks as I may well need your "Fed Ex" abilities
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:05 pm

NO dramas mate. Just let me know :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby VH-WAL » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:28 pm

I am taking deep breaths over this.

I readjusted the design especially for the engine nacelle area and printed off another set. I used a new can of clear coat. For some reason this lot of decals go on crinkly, they probably will settle but conformance around the nose is awful. I'll keep plugging away at it, might try a different technique with the clear coat (like shake the can for longer, immerse in hot water and stuff like that to see whether it makes a difference) If I can't get it to go on satisfactorily I'll ask Peter Mahoney of Hawkeye to print some laser ones for me (much thinner and more flexible around curves and no need for clear coat), so if you still want these you may have to pay for them depending on how things pan out.

r
VH-WAL

Postby hrtpaul » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:01 pm

I have no drama paying the $$$ mate at all. Anything to have more Wallydecs :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby VH-WAL » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:42 pm

Ignore the wrinkles and obvious places where the decal hasnt settled down for now, but you can see where I have to tweek the decal design.. getting the nacelle design to go around the complex curves I have had to "split" the decal, I have to add blue "material" to the nacelle tops and subract blue material from the bottom.. I also have to adjust the top edge of the bottom nacelle decal so the lines are parallel.
I have to adjust both the front and back of the cheat line to get the nose curve right and to incorporate a "cut out" for the engine nacelle mounting. I also have to move the fin VH-CAO and the DCA logo a little bit forward and adjust the pin stripe curve around the bottom of the fin leading edge.
Also I need to repaint the wing (Crap!) there was a flaw there and I buggered up the repair.. gotta fix the +eyebrows"(windshield top) as well bit of a gap there.
VH-WAL

Postby hrtpaul » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:53 pm

That's looking awesome Wally. A true master :)
hrtpaul

Postby F-27pax » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:11 am

WOW! That is looking simply fantastic. I'm very thankful that you are going to all this trouble, if mine comes out as good looking as yours when the decals are all sorted out will be thrilled.

Leigh
F-27pax

Postby Graeme H » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:20 am

Wow what a cute little thing that is, excellent work the Wal
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby VH-WAL » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:05 pm

Hello chaps,

work continues in fits and starts.. while I was pretty happy with the design of the decals, application of low colour density light blue decals provided less than satisfactory results.. the problems are two fold, firstly, the clear decal (inkjet) paper resists conforming to complex curves and secondly, the light blue has very low colour density on the film and requires absolutely superb nestling down onto the white painted surface, every wrinkle shows up.

So I printed the modified design decals on white decal paper, sure this means close cutting to the colour but the colour density is uniform on the paper when applied and the film is much more conducive to fitting around complex curves, on these pics you can see the decals are settling nicely, I will keep dabbing with soft cloth, microsol and cotton buds and it will hunker down nicely. You can see the before and after shots on the engine decals, ok it is going to be fiddly and you will have to touch up with blue paint but I think that is about the best one can do with home made efforts. The white of the decal paper matches the Tamiya rattle can white very well, though I might separate the windows from the cheat line and have the windows printed on clear.
VH-WAL

PreviousNext

Return to Member's Works in Progress