F-27s models for May 2022

Showcase your materpieces here for the group

F-27s models for May 2022

Postby F-27pax » Tue May 10, 2022 10:44 am

Unlike previous months when I’ve presented photos of my most recent models and then some oldies, now that I’ve got The Little Aviation Museum up and running I only need to show pictures of the recently completed ones. To see other models made by me and my friends have a look in the galleries of The Little Aviation Museum.

To begin with, here is one that I’ve refurbished rather than a complete new build. I wanted to improve this Frsin 1/144 model of the Short Sandringham and give it some Hawkeye Qantas decals so I stripped it back to almost bare resin and started again, first filling in the many little bubbles in the resin that I hadn’t done previously. The paint is SMS Aluminum which I’m becoming quite attached to.

I’m quite partial to tanks, particularly French tanks, but I don’t make models of too many of them because there are too many interesting and attractive aircraft models to make. Recently, however, Ace have released kits of four or five more French AFV’s and I’ve given into temptation. The Ace 1/72 AMX Mk.61 is not an easy kit to put together but I finally got there with the use of a lot of patience and harsh language. I don’t mind weathering tanks and had a fair go on this model.

This Frsin 1/144 SNCASE Armagnac is a rather large model because it was a large aircraft for its day. The kit lacks a bit of detail in comparison to injection moulded kits in the same scale but this is the only kit of the Armagnac and I doubt that there will ever be another one, so we cope with it. The only area that could do with some improvement is the engines and I’ve only just discovered that there are resin aftermarket engines that might fit, but it’s too late for that now.

I needed an Avro Lancastrian to help fill out my Qantas collection and Amodel offer one in 1/144, in QEA livery too. It’s a version of the Amodel series of Lancaster kits but with additional fuselage halves to make the Lancastrian. It’s probably quite a good and accurate kit but it annoyed me a great deal with its tiny parts and details. I already had a set of the Hawkeye decals for the QEA livery and used them instead of the kit ones, and was not disappointed.

F-27pax

Re: F-27s models for May 2022

Postby hrtpaul » Tue May 10, 2022 10:57 am

Great work mate. I especially like the Lancastrian. Were there any pitfalls with the kit as I have it in the stash to do someday? :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby RayS » Tue May 10, 2022 11:20 am

A lovely collection Leigh and all nicely finished.

I did not know the Armagnac existed! something learned today.
Ray

RayS

Postby F-27pax » Fri May 13, 2022 7:32 am

I'd really only make the Lancastrian if you really need one. (I did, for my Qantas collection.) It's not a bad kit but very fiddly and difficult to get on with, mine almost ended up in the bin a few times. If I was doing it again I would fill in the panel lines along the fuselage and I'd see if I could find some aftermarket propellers because they are very fragile. Half way through I gave thought to trying to convert eh old Crown kit but didn't have one to hand so ploughed on with this onw.
F-27pax

Postby RayS » Fri May 13, 2022 8:34 am

Well I did the Lanastrain in 1/72 so I don't need a smaller one now :-)
Ray

RayS

Postby hrtpaul » Fri May 13, 2022 9:13 am

F-27pax wrote:I'd really only make the Lancastrian if you really need one. (I did, for my Qantas collection.) It's not a bad kit but very fiddly and difficult to get on with, mine almost ended up in the bin a few times. If I was doing it again I would fill in the panel lines along the fuselage and I'd see if I could find some aftermarket propellers because they are very fragile. Half way through I gave thought to trying to convert eh old Crown kit but didn't have one to hand so ploughed on with this onw.

Ta mate. I guess it'll stay in the stash a while longer then :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby tor lives » Fri May 13, 2022 11:54 am

Wow!!!!
I just love em Leigh!!!!
I am especially partial to the Qantas ol girls.....they are just beautiful.
TOR
tor lives

Return to Member's Completed Models